: One of my FAVORITE things about Facebook...

hueterm
04-20-10, 08:39 PM
...is to catch sight of people you hated in Jr./Sr. high school, who were trash then (and raised to be trash) -- and come to find out -- are even bigger pieces of moldy river dweller white trash now.

Karma can be a real vicious bitch....:sunnynana:

V-Eight
04-20-10, 08:45 PM
Haaha, yep its always funny to see how people change....or don't.

Rolex
04-20-10, 09:04 PM
There are things I like, and things I dislike about it.

ON the one hand you get to see what old friends that you haven't seen in years are up to. It makes the point of HS reunions moot IMO. On the other hand you have to be VERY careful about what you post, because you never know who's reading.

I like may have been guilty in taking pleasure in the fact that the years haven't been very kind to an ex-GF or two. I've found that with very little exception, people that only post pics of their children and/or pics of themselves when they were in HS 15 years ago are in rough shape in real life.

codewize
04-20-10, 10:31 PM
If you use Facebook at all I refuse to work on your PC. Just in case you were wondering. Additionally, Facebook and Myspace are explicitly blocked on any network I'm responsible for.

Sevillian273
04-20-10, 10:35 PM
If you use Facebook at all I refuse to work on your PC. Just in case you were wondering. Additionally, Facebook and Myspace are explicitly blocked on any network I'm responsible for.

Why is that? Excessive apps and spam?

The Tony Show
04-21-10, 12:27 PM
I'd be interested to know as well. I use FB to share pics of the kids with my huge family without emailing every single one of them, and don't install any of their crap apps (Farmville, Mafia Wars, etc).

Is it just the apps that clog up a computer, or is there something else nefarious at work I should know about?

Stingroo
04-21-10, 01:31 PM
If you use Facebook at all I refuse to work on your PC. Just in case you were wondering.

Seems as if you'd be missing out on a large portion of the market?

Jesda
04-21-10, 02:56 PM
I use Facebook to troll the shit out of everyone.

codewize
04-21-10, 04:09 PM
It's a virus haven, just like AOL used to be.

I guess I was a little harsh. Although it is in fact blocked on any network I manage, outside the enterprise, I do work on PC's that have Facebook crap all over them. Usually they're hosed up pretty hard.

It's money but it's frustrating as hell.

I know they're not the only ones but they're the current ones. Years ago it was AOL, then it was MySpace, which BTW I was the original owner of that domain name :). Now it's Facebook. I'm sure next week it'll be something else.

The long and short is that social networking sites are the perfect place for viruses and spyware to spread without much human intervention.

The Tony Show
04-21-10, 04:21 PM
Kind of like real life "social networking", eh? :lol:

MacMuse
04-21-10, 04:41 PM
It's a virus haven, just like AOL used to be.

I think it's more accurate to say it's a 'phishing' haven. Facebook doesn't deliver virii directly, but it does provide an open market for bad guys to lure users away from Facebook to their own virus/malware delivery sites.

Sevillian273
04-21-10, 04:54 PM
I have read that some viruses embed themselves in web pages. For a couple days, I got 'AntispywareXP2009' (a popular scareware program) every time I visited this site. Yahoo news and Liveleak.com were 2 other sites that did the same thing for a brief period.

ewill3rd
04-21-10, 06:25 PM
I enjoy facebook, it is fun to meet up with people that you haven't heard from in 30 years or so.
I have come back into contact with a few girls that I knew in Jr. High. One was a big crush I had and another one that I knew her mom killed herself when we were sophomores and I never saw her again. The first one only posts intermittently but I know her parents and they are friends of my family so I keep them posted about my dad. I rarely meet new people on there, and I restrict access to everything to "friends only".
I like to share about my kids and my family. Almost my whole family is on it and it is easy to keep in touch with people you might not otherwise hear from.

I have clicked things that have set off my anti-virus software and a lot of people I know have gotten hit by some pretty tough viruses by clicking on apps.
I only do 2 now, farmville and farm town and I haven't done farm town for a while because I keep losing crops... :lol:

It is kind of fun, my wife won't let me post any photos of her but I like to post up pics of the kids for Grandma.

gary88
04-21-10, 06:49 PM
Facebook is great. I was recruited for a previous job through it, and have gotten some photography work from it. I'm not obsessed to the point where I update my status multiple times a day though or things like that, I couldn't care less about telling the internet what I'm doing right now. But it is a powerful tool when used in certain ways.

Stingroo
04-21-10, 06:49 PM
I use facebook to connect and reconnect with people from all aspects of my life. Friends from Jr. High/freshman year of high school (I moved after that), friends from the rest of high school (I moved soon after), friends from various online games, even an entire group dedicated to CF people. Facebook is a great site to get to know people with similar interests. It's great, IMO.

I just don't click stupid crap. lol

I usually update my status throughout the day, but mostly to let friends on campus know whether or not I'm in my dorm, etc. Or to post random things I find that I like (those rims in my last post... :drool:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-21-10, 07:30 PM
Facebook is awesome. A day without Facebook is a day I don't care to live in. It's a great way to stay connected with friends, old and new, and further progress acquaintances you want to know more about. I used to not want to add clients and coworkers, but now I don't care, I'm actually having fun with that aspect of it.

Jesda
04-21-10, 07:31 PM
I troll the crap out of everyone

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-21-10, 08:05 PM
Oh man, some of the steamy bikini pictures I've seen. :drool: Don't lie guys, we all do it!

hueterm
04-21-10, 08:11 PM
OK, one thing I HATE -- is people who (in my case being from St. Louis) -- MUST Tweet-Link the play-by-play of EVERY F-Ing Cardinals game. I have about 4 people that do it, and it annoys the piss out of me. I'm about to either hide or defriend them, because it's just sad. I need to just blanket status update "STFU about the Cards!"

Jesda
04-21-10, 08:14 PM
I e-stalk girls from TV commercials.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-21-10, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah, people who must update their status more than 7 times in any day get hidden from my news view, immediately. I'll only defriend someone if they attack my statuses or my friends on my statuses. It's happened a couple of times before.

77CDV
04-21-10, 10:25 PM
I'm blissfully ignorant about this whole line of conversation.

ewill3rd
04-21-10, 10:55 PM
:lol:
Yeah I have dropped a few "friends".
I won't go into reasons on many. Some things that get my goat are:

Posting status updates 10 times a day
Posting cryptic nonsensical garbage in an effort to seem beyond the understanding of a mere mortal
Posting the same lame crap day after day, I mean if you don't have something to say, just don't bother
Posting nothing but pictures of you and your friends slamming all the booze you can get your adolescent hands on
Posting pictures of you making out with your "significant other". There are some gender combinations that can be more disturbing than others. I get it, you are in love... but for the love of Pete!
Posting tons of pictures of you taking pictures of yourself, I mean how vain and narcissistic can you be? Passes can be given if others are in the pictures or if you have a new hairstyle or something, but trying on outfits and posting all the pics?? Uh... no.
Not posting anything... ever... I mean why have an account?

RightTurn
04-21-10, 11:04 PM
I'm blissfully ignorant about this whole line of conversation.

Ditto. And plan to stay that way. :highfive:

codewize
04-21-10, 11:19 PM
Ditto again. Never did, never will. I see no need to tell the world what I'm doing every second of the day. For those who I wanted to keep in touch with, I did. No one else cares about your kids, your pets or who your dating.

If you went to school with me and I don't keep up with you, it's because you don't interest me.

Ditto. And plan to stay that way. :highfive:

EcSTSatic
04-23-10, 08:06 AM
Ditto X3 This social networkng is an addiction. I prefer face-to-face friendships. There's a whole culture out there hooked on technology, and that is coming from someone with a BS and a Masters in computing.

gdwriter
04-23-10, 01:34 PM
I have friends and family scattered across the country, so I enjoy using Facebook to see what's going on in their lives (although I also keep in touch via e-mail). I've had friend requests come out of the woodwork from people I went to high school with, and I'll accept them, but I ignore many of their posts (and have a put a few on ignore entirely). It's been nice to reconnect with a few friends I haven't seen in 25 years — I moved away to go to college, then moved across the country and haven't been back to my hometown in six years (don't miss it, either). I don't play any of the stupid games and block posts about them. But I enjoy seeing most of the pictures, especially of their families and what they're doing now (since I'm in my 40s, most of my friends have outgrown the binge drinking and party scene). Social networking is what you choose to make of it, including not doing it at all. And this place has proven you can make real friends with people you've never met in person and likely never will. I have.

Stingroo
04-23-10, 04:33 PM
I have friends and family scattered across the country, so I enjoy using Facebook to see what's going on in their lives (although I also keep in touch via e-mail). I've had friend requests come out of the woodwork from people I went to high school with, and I'll accept them, but I ignore many of their posts (and have a put a few on ignore entirely). It's been nice to reconnect with a few friends I haven't seen in 25 years I moved away to go to college, then moved across the country and haven't been back to my hometown in six years (don't miss it, either). I don't play any of the stupid games and block posts about them. But I enjoy seeing most of the pictures, especially of their families and what they're doing now (since I'm in my 40s, most of my friends have outgrown the binge drinking and party scene). Social networking is what you choose to make of it, including not doing it at all. And this place has proven you can make real friends with people you've never met in person and likely never will. I have.

Well said.

Me personally, I use facebook to take pictures of random things that happen around campus. Things I find entertaining, or significant, or just cool. Most of them I share here too. Why? Because I like this place. It's like a second group of entirely different friends. I definitely agree with the "social networking is what you make of it." comment. I used to play a few apps, etc. but now I can't even be bothered.

codewize
04-24-10, 10:54 AM
Funny timing. I had a call yesterday, from a telemarketer, asking me why I don't use Facebook or Twitter to promote my business. I told him the same thing I said here and he was at awe. Couldn't believe I said that.

I then proceeded to mention that the problem was bad enough for the New York State Office of Cyber Security released a warning about it.

Then he shut up and started probing for information, at which point I hung up on him. Today my goal is to report him to the Do Not Call registry.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-24-10, 11:14 AM
How many people on here have those "friends" on Facebook that if you see they're online, you sign off real quick so they don't start chatting with you?

Stingroo
04-24-10, 12:49 PM
Not I. <_<

hueterm
04-24-10, 01:02 PM
I never sign on chat...

thebigjimsho
04-25-10, 02:18 AM
I have no life and no friends. Looks like Facebook is the tonic to cure what ills...

Jesda
04-25-10, 02:53 PM
My bikini pics are on there.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-25-10, 06:17 PM
My bikini pics are on there.

That's funny, because I just unfriended you.

Jesda
04-25-10, 06:18 PM
YOUR LOSS BRAH :histeric:

blue07cts
04-26-10, 01:51 AM
/\ I'll still be your friend!:bouncy:

Stingroo
04-26-10, 01:55 AM
Me too I suppose...

and Rob, I'm definitely leaving in two days. Sadface.

DopeStar 156
04-26-10, 11:41 PM
I once got really ripped and sent hateful messages to most of my graduating class on Facebook. Should make my high school reunion more..... "colorful" whenever that ends up happening. Maybe I can write "Freak" on the little nametag they give you at the door so everyone recognizes me, hahaha....

gary88
05-10-10, 10:59 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/JD2710/ATT114200.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/JD2710/ATT114201.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/JD2710/ATT114202.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/JD2710/ATT114203.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/JD2710/ATT114204.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/JD2710/ATT114205.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/JD2710/ATT114206.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/JD2710/ATT114207.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/JD2710/ATT114208.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-10-10, 11:05 PM
Yep, got a "rash" and a "filterless" on my friends list.

AMGoff
05-11-10, 12:13 PM
I'm still cleaning up coffee because of the "Which Backstreet Boy Testicle Are You" bit... :thumbsup:

Although I only log on once in a blue moon... There's two things that get to me the most. First are those with 700+ "friends" - if you already have 753 friends, then I don't want to be your 754th, period.

The second and even more irritating are those who put their kids up in their profile. I feel like saying, "If I want to look at little Johnny, then I'd be little Johnny's friend and not yours..." Then again, as I believe someone else already said... It's usually those who haven't marched well against the sands of time who tend to do that - or those sickening people that constantly dote on, obsess over, and talk about their children. Either way... Pass.

hueterm
05-11-10, 01:34 PM
So THAT'S why I've had a pending friend request up for a year that you've ignored!

And yes, I agree about the friend whores and the children/pet only pictures as profile pictures. The whole reason people want to see your profile picture is to see if you've gotten ugly since they last saw you.......

ewill3rd
05-11-10, 01:55 PM
I do use pics of my kids on my profile.
One reason is because I am proud of them and my family likes to see them.
I don't photograph well and the kids are cute.
Otherwise AMG I really do feel the same way you do, I don't like it either. Not sure where that puts me except in the middle of "hypocrite" :lol:
I actually changed my profile pic to a picture of me over the weekend.
If they want to see the kids they can look at my profile.
FB has an age limit I believe and kids shouldn't be on it.
(according to them)
My kids aren't old enough for me to freak out about it so I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other yet.
I don't think younger kids should have one.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-12-10, 11:39 PM
HOLY CRAP!!! Adam Goff has a Facebook!!!

BRB!!!

gary88
05-14-10, 02:09 PM
http://imgur.com/h3GCL.gif

Jesda
05-14-10, 05:17 PM
I'm getting old. I made the same reply to this thread twice, I just noticed.

gary88
06-01-10, 11:46 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/2qipff8.jpg

arctic_man
06-07-10, 11:31 PM
I can post something I hate about facebook... Farmville