: If I Dont Use Premium Unleaded Will It Ruin My 96STS

Dolph510
08-24-04, 05:20 AM
I was just wondering if I used anything besides Premium Unleaded in my 96 STS will it ruin the engine.I know you are supposed to use Premium and I havent used anything else but I was wondering if you mixxed it up alittle what the damage would be if any.I have a friend who has a newer Acura and it says Premium Unleaded Only too and he uses all different types of gas.What do you guys think and what have you guys ran in your N*

jgr7
08-24-04, 09:00 AM
No it won't hurt it. Do a search on premium fuel and you will find lots of reading.
Jeff

Geno Castellano
08-24-04, 09:28 AM
I was just wondering if I used anything besides Premium Unleaded in my 96 STS will it ruin the engine.I know you are supposed to use Premium and I havent used anything else but I was wondering if you mixxed it up alittle what the damage would be if any.I have a friend who has a newer Acura and it says Premium Unleaded Only too and he uses all different types of gas.What do you guys think and what have you guys ran in your N*

You can use lower grades of fuel with no problem. The knock control system protects the engine against any damaging detonation with lower octane fuel and the Northstar combustion chamber is actually very tolerant of lower octane fuel. You will loose some small amount of power at full throttle and a tiny bit of fuel economy but it is generally not very noticeable.

Ranger
08-24-04, 11:27 AM
I switched to 87 octane about a year ago based on what Geno said above and have noticed no difference in milage or performance. I am happy and my wallet is happier.

Pjs
08-24-04, 06:37 PM
I have been using 87 octane since I bought my 95 SLS a few months ago. I decided (when the prices dropped a bit) that I'd try the 93 octane and see if it would be any better. Since the first tank, coinsciendence or otherwise, my engine has been running worse and my milage has dropped from 21.5 to 19-20. I filled up this morning w/ 89 again and so far my avg milage is back up to the 21.5-22 mark.

Patrick

STS 310
08-26-04, 11:25 AM
I flip flop back and forth with 87 and 92.