: Greetings from Wisconsin

fl_rider
04-20-10, 06:58 PM
I am picking up a 1996 Sedan Deville this weekend. It is Adriatic Blue with a Montana Blue interior. It runs great but the transmission needs some attention. Third and Fourth gears aren't usable so the first stop it will be making is at the transmission shop.

I am looking forward to getting back running like it is supposed to. I am sure I will come across things that I will need to ask questions about and this looks like the right place for answers.

Chris :) :)

RightTurn
04-20-10, 10:09 PM
Howdy Chris and welcome! Be sure to post pics of your "new" car. :wave:

Ranger
04-20-10, 11:13 PM
:welcome:
Where are you in Wisc.? Learn to pull the DTC's. See the sticky at the top of the page. It's probably just shift solenoids so be leary if they try to sell you a rebuild or a new trans. If you have a shift solenoid code, don't tell them what you found. See what they say. It will be a good honesty test.

fl_rider
04-21-10, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the greetings!

My wife already thinks I am nuts because I have been doing a lot of research here regarding our "new" car.

I spotted the sticky about pulling the DTC's and that is the first thing I am going to do.

I am just north and east of Woodstock in Lyons, WI.

I was planning on taking the car over to Pfeiffer Transmission in Two Harbors, IL. They have a good reputation according to the people I have spoken with.

As soon as I pick up the car and give it a bath I will get some pictures up.

Ranger
04-21-10, 11:31 AM
Ahh, not far from here at all. Good luck with the car and keep us posted.

iowasevillests
04-21-10, 02:18 PM
Welcome and congrats on the car. With your description of the tranny it sounds like its gone into Limp home mode which only gives you 1st and 2nd gear. My brother's 96 Seville SLS is a couple steps away from that same situation. I can't remember which sensor it is, but on his its on the top of the transmission and its going bad, pops warning lights about every week or so and constantly has the code set. Its a 50 or 75 dollar sensor.....but the first step in the factory manual for replacement is "Remove drivetrain from car", so its a 50 dollar sensor with 1200 to 1500 in labor. You can replace it with effort by only dropping the drivetrain 8-10" by using threaded rod, or what we have talked about doing if his ever goes out is pull out all the carpet and interior floor covers and drill some locating holes through the car and see if we can neatly cut an access hole and replace it from the top side, then weld a patch back on and cover everything back up.

As already mentioned, pull the DTC's, that should help you narrow down the problem then you can post back.

Ranger
04-21-10, 04:13 PM
There are two sensors. The vehicle speed sensor which is "on top" of the right output shaft housing and accessible through the right wheel well and the input speed sensor which is inside the side cover. That is the $50 sensor buried $2000 deep in the trans. The shift solenoids are accessible from the pan (if that is the problem) and much less costly to repair.

77CDV
04-21-10, 06:43 PM
:welcome: Sounds like a beautiful car. Looking forward to pics!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-21-10, 09:10 PM
Welcome from the west!

fl_rider
04-24-10, 08:08 PM
Scratch that one off the list....

The battery took a nudge from a battery charger to get enough juice to roll the old girl over.

The idler pulley was screeching like a banshee when it first started but did die down to a discontented growl after a few minutes.

I took it out for a short drive and it would not shift out of second gear. When I returned it had the DTC code for the engine speed sensor.

The engine had a persistent deep knock throughout the rpm range and there was a wonderful aroma of baked coolant coming from the engine compartment.

It really wasn't a difficult decision at that point.

hueterm
04-24-10, 09:18 PM
Change the coolant!

Ranger
04-24-10, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I'd run, not walk away from that one.

hueterm
04-24-10, 09:39 PM
Oh, I didn't see the baked coolant smell post....yeah...bail...

Ranger
04-24-10, 09:58 PM
You also missed "would not shift out of second gear" and "the engine had a persistent deep knock throughout the rpm range".