: Price/Value Opinions for a used 2007 CTS-V

frdplay
04-20-10, 04:45 PM
All,

I'm new to this forum and have my eyes set on a 2007 CTS-V with 5,300 miles on it. Private owner, never seen snow or rain. Looks to be immaculate. I'm getting the car for $29K.

I would like some opinions if this is too much, fair, or a strong buy seeing it's a 2007.

I'd also like to know what current or previous owners feel this car will pull in a few years, say with 35,000 - $40,000 miles on it? I don't want to take a huge hit in 3 years if I sell, so hopefully they hold their value.

Also, is there any way besides Carfax to determine if the odometer was tampered with? If OnStar is equipped, would they know?

Thanks in advance...

Andringa
04-20-10, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a decent price. Not a great deal, but then again it only has 5k miles on it. I personally don't understand people that buy cars and then don't ever drive them, hopefully it was stored well.

As far as reselling it down the road, in three years with 40k miles on it you would probably be able to sell it for $20k. You aren't taking a very big hit, when you compare it to what the original owner lost on it. The original owners drove it five thousand miles and lost 20k. :( Although in 3 years the resale value of a V1 may drop as used V2s become more affordable.

Houdini
04-20-10, 06:06 PM
Sounds like a super nice ride with very low miles. Retail price for that car at most dealers would be 33k or more. I'd say it is a fair price period. I've heard of better deals on this forum but that is the case with anything. The majority of the 06/07 Vs that I see are not yet in the low to mid 20s unless they have a lot of miles. I think it will be a few years before we see a hit on them. The same can not be said for the 04/05s. It is easy to find them in the low 20s or even less.

As a comparison, I got my 07 early this year and paid the same amount you listed (got raped on taxes though since it was done through a dealer) . Mine had more miles (around 30k) and was in perfect shape and drove great. The paint didn't have a single scratch or dent and the interior was mint except for two peeling nav buttons (already fixed under warranty). The windows were already tinted (only mod he did) and it included new michelin a/s sport tires as well as the original runflats. The car had FG2s and the latest 4th gen diff installed. It also had the cadillac CPO warranty from 08 (better than the current CPO warranty that cadillac offers - they changed it in April 09). I thought the price I paid was on the high side of my researched range but I was happy because I knew it was the 'one' for me. I don't believe I'll take a huge hit on it in a few years but who knows.

Not sure what to tell you about odometer fraud. I guess there is not a lot to show on the carfax since it only has 5300 miles on it. You could ask your dealer to run a GM VIS service history for you on the VIN. If the previous owner had brought it in for any type of repair or service they would have the milage recorded. I've never really used OnStar so I don't know if they would know.

frdplay
04-20-10, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I have seen a few 04's/05's with 57-65,000 miles for low 20's. I figured if i'm going to pay that much, might as well pay a few grand more and get one with low miles, however... from what i gather, there isn't much difference with the cars from 04 - 07.

I agree on the 2009's. When they come down in price, I will take a hit... but seeing they are 50 plus used... i'm thinking low 40's, high 30's with some decent miles on the 09's. I'm hoping I can still get 25K for it few years from now, this way it costs me 4K plus bank interest/taxes to enjoy the car.

Does anyone know what the "factory" tires were on these cars? From the pictures I got, they look to be Goodyear Eagle RS-A 245/45R18's. Only add-on's are all season mats in front, rear and trunk

50 4Ever
04-20-10, 07:57 PM
Really depends on where you are. In CA an 07 with that low mileage might breing $33K to $35K. 6 months ago I bought an 07 with 3,500 miles for $35K to replace my totalled '05.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Natedog
04-20-10, 08:24 PM
Sounds like an awesome deal on an 07 with the 100k powertrain warranty which is a big deal. I have 46k on my 07 an have loved every mile. No major repairs to report but I did have the diff replaced at the end of last yr due to whine, but it never failed me. Good luck and my suggestion would be to move forward pending a vin check. Enjoy!

Baltimore07V
04-20-10, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I have seen a few 04's/05's with 57-65,000 miles for low 20's. I figured if i'm going to pay that much, might as well pay a few grand more and get one with low miles, however... from what i gather, there isn't much difference with the cars from 04 - 07.

I agree on the 2009's. When they come down in price, I will take a hit... but seeing they are 50 plus used... i'm thinking low 40's, high 30's with some decent miles on the 09's. I'm hoping I can still get 25K for it few years from now, this way it costs me 4K plus bank interest/taxes to enjoy the car.

Does anyone know what the "factory" tires were on these cars? From the pictures I got, they look to be Goodyear Eagle RS-A 245/45R18's. Only add-on's are all season mats in front, rear and trunk

Sounds like its pretty much stock. The RS-A's were the standard tire on an '07. I bought my 07 with 17.5k on the clock in June of 09. Spent 32k on mine. It was in good shape, minus 3 things that needed to be done under warranty/TSB. (Motor mounts, radio buttons, rear diff vent tube). So 29k for that is a still a good price. Due to the rareness of the V1's they are now holding their value decently. I would expect that in about 3-4 years a 07 V1 will still get 20k-23k if its in good condition. These cars are not high volume by any means. I am holding on to mine for a long time, because once the new emissions standards hit here in 2014/15, these types of cars will become lower volumn in production then they are now. (I think the ZR1, the Z28, and V2 are GM's last hurrah of OHV V8) Get ready for forced induction V6's, a la the new M3.

Driven2slow
04-20-10, 09:19 PM
You might be able to find better deals with 20k miles. Seriously what difference would it make if a car has 5k or 20k miles. I personally would never spend 30k for a car with 5k miles when I can find out with 15 to 20k for $24k. Which can happen, you just have to look in the right places. For example, when you finance that car, its gonna run you almost another $10k just cause you bought one with less miles. But if you're paying cash, than its a good deal.

bjv
04-20-10, 09:50 PM
Used V's in good condition, especially with low miles, are not real common. That sounds like a good deal to me, if the low miles part is of benefit to you. If you don't drive a lot of miles then a car with higher miles might be just as good for you.

Not long ago I bought an 07 with 20k miles. I was looking for low miles, and I paid a little more too. I bought from a certified dealer so I could demand that the car was perfect or nearly so, but I didn't buy an extended warranty.

In my research before I bought I found an 07 at a dealer with claimed 800 miles. I don't know how they did that, must have really been a garage queen.

jeffthenail
04-20-10, 11:43 PM
FRDPLY, Send me the Vin and I will run a VIS for you. I am diligently searching for a V now and You've done well. Maybe not the greatest deal but a good one at worst.

frdplay
04-21-10, 12:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the great input. It will be a daily driver, so I was looking for low miles. I have a 4 door F-150 for winter, so I'll store it then. I've looked for a couple months and I've found a lot of 04's and 05's with miles anywhere from 45K - 75K in the price range from upper teens to low 20's. I haven't seen a lot of 07's out there and if I pass, I may wait for a long time to find another. I'm pretty meticulous with my cars, so I'm confident at 30,000 miles it should still look new, where it should hold it's value better.

Drivin2slow - You make a good point. I haven't seen any in a while 25,000 miles and there isn't a huge difference but I will put some miles on the car, say 30K in 2 years. That being said I feel the extra now will wash out when selling the car with 35K vs 55K, but you make a great point on the interest as I will be financing, thus really paying more.

Jeffthenail, the VIN is 1G6DN57U470125783. Please let me know what you find.

Finally, i'll have to look into these TSB's mentioned by Baltimore07 (Motor mounts, radio buttons, rear diff vent tube). My last car was out of warranty and the Ford dealer would not cover a TSB fix. Seeing I took care of my car, I guess it took a little longer for the issue to raise it's ugly head and when it did, I had to pay for it. With this car having low miles, I very well may run into the same issue. Seeing I got burned before, I guess I'd like to push my dealer to fix all known/major TSB's on this car now, so I don't pay later.

Thanks again and I look forward to learning all about this car on this forum!

jeffthenail
04-21-10, 01:04 AM
OK, 70125783 PDI 9/26/06, Rear Diff Seal 2419m 7/4/08, Rear Shocks 3909m 11/21/08, Rear Shocks again 4995m 8/12/09
60/100k Powertrain warr. Sounds like it's legit to me. Good Luck

Houdini
04-21-10, 11:41 AM
My guess is that you will need the diff vent tube updated (no big deal... it can cause a few drops of diff fluid on your garage floor). I believe that is the TSB. Mounts and radio buttons are just normal warranty items because they both go bad in Vs. With only 5300 miles you probably won't have to worry about motor mounts for a while. Look for green fluid or dried green fluid coming from the mounts. If they get real bad you'll see stains on your garage floor. If your mounts are bad you'll notice shuttering on engine shutdown and possibly excessive vibration at idle. Shifting can get real bad with bad mounts too (mine did).

Radio buttons peel on the Vs.... be careful with fingernails and you'll be fine.

dfoster154
04-21-10, 11:49 PM
I bought an 07 with 32K miles for 27K last fall. Thought it was an ok deal. I have had a LOT of items replaced under warranty on my car and now that i see there is a TSB on the rear shocks I will have that looked at too as the rear end seems SUPER floaty. Didn't realize till after that I had the 100K powertrain warranty so that was a major plus!

What I have had replaced/fixed thus far:
New Halfshaft
New Motor Mounts (not done yet, just arrived at dealer)
New Diff bushing
New Stabilization links all the way around
Injectors cleaned due to throwing a code
New Clutch Master Cyl (not done yet, just arrived at dealer)
New Powersteerig pump (not done yet, just arrived at dealer)
Diff was replaced right before i bought it.

Needless to say the warranty is the REAL deal.

Baltimore07V
04-22-10, 03:23 AM
I bought an 07 with 32K miles for 27K last fall. Thought it was an ok deal. I have had a LOT of items replaced under warranty on my car and now that i see there is a TSB on the rear shocks I will have that looked at too as the rear end seems SUPER floaty. Didn't realize till after that I had the 100K powertrain warranty so that was a major plus!

What I have had replaced/fixed thus far:
New Halfshaft
New Motor Mounts (not done yet, just arrived at dealer)
New Diff bushing
New Stabilization links all the way around
Injectors cleaned due to throwing a code
New Clutch Master Cyl (not done yet, just arrived at dealer)
New Powersteerig pump (not done yet, just arrived at dealer)
Diff was replaced right before i bought it.

Needless to say the warranty is the REAL deal.

TSB Rear shocks? Do tell......

frdplay
04-22-10, 04:41 PM
Guys, It seems like the V is prone to service issues. I'm a little surprised this car went in for shocks at 3909 miles and again a 1,000 miles later. Motor Mounts, 1/2 shafts, rumors of rear end issues...etc.

I guess what I'm asking is... Knowing what you know, would you buy the same car again?

I'm a little concerned that I may end up with a car that has problems and I'm out of powertrain warranty. This might steer me to a G8/GXP or similar.

also, Does PDI 9/26/06 mean Date of Sale? Is so, that means powertrain warranty ends on 9/26/11, roughly 1.5 years away.

2007cts-v
04-22-10, 05:48 PM
I picked up my 07 V with 27k on the odo for $29k, and that was in June 2009.

cvettr/cts-v
04-22-10, 07:03 PM
Yeah I think pdi is pre delivery inspection and all warranties start on the in service date. Ultimately you will find that with anything cars, t.v's, stereo's one person has nightmares and 1 person has the best experience in the world. Only you and the seller have to be happy with the deal you make. If I were in the market again to buy a car would I look at another cts-v? Yes I would. The car has been everything I had hoped for and expected. That is why I can't make up my mind to let it go. It is a nice weather only vehicle for me and it is hard to justify all the time it just sits in the garage but when I think I have made up my mind to sell it since it is always sitting there, I go for a drive and then feel I can't let it go. Then a few weeks go by and the process starts over. I went through this with the Corvettes I have owned also but they don't get the shocked response the V gets when people hear it and find out what a V really is. I like to have things that are different from everybody else and that is just too hard to do with most other vehicles. My suggestion find the right one that you are happy with and take a chance as you could not by a V and get one of the others you mentioned and it just be someone elses headache too and then you'll wish you bought a V. just be cause you get something else is no guarantee it will not break or cost less to maintain. Only hind sight is 20/20 any vehicle new or used is a gamble. But warranties sure make it better.

frdplay
04-22-10, 11:11 PM
Yeah I think pdi is pre delivery inspection and all warranties start on the in service date. Ultimately you will find that with anything cars, t.v's, stereo's one person has nightmares and 1 person has the best experience in the world. Only you and the seller have to be happy with the deal you make. If I were in the market again to buy a car would I look at another cts-v? Yes I would. The car has been everything I had hoped for and expected. That is why I can't make up my mind to let it go. It is a nice weather only vehicle for me and it is hard to justify all the time it just sits in the garage but when I think I have made up my mind to sell it since it is always sitting there, I go for a drive and then feel I can't let it go. Then a few weeks go by and the process starts over. I went through this with the Corvettes I have owned also but they don't get the shocked response the V gets when people hear it and find out what a V really is. I like to have things that are different from everybody else and that is just too hard to do with most other vehicles. My suggestion find the right one that you are happy with and take a chance as you could not by a V and get one of the others you mentioned and it just be someone elses headache too and then you'll wish you bought a V. just be cause you get something else is no guarantee it will not break or cost less to maintain. Only hind sight is 20/20 any vehicle new or used is a gamble. But warranties sure make it better.

Well said... Thank you!

edwalton
04-23-10, 09:52 PM
Go for it! I bought my 07 in June with 7,800 miles. With the warranty protection, I figured that if I was going to have problems, they would show up quickly and be covered. Here we are 10 months later and 28,000 miles. No problems (except the parking brake which is a bit flakey and will be looked at soon.)It is my daily driver and even worked well in the Michigan winter snow and ice.

NikoZaBeast
04-24-10, 08:47 PM
Entertain this - http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/208811-cadillac-cts-v-392-rwhp-super-boss-must-see.html

Niko