: Hello (a n00b introduction)

DeadPoet
04-20-10, 04:40 PM
Hey folks,

I've been lurking here for a while, and finally decided to join. I probably won't be posting much, as I learn a lot from forums just by reading. I currently own an '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee (that is in the shop getting getting a new transmission under warranty), and I also own an old Chrysler (New Yorker) that is out of commission due to a bad transmission (wtf!?). My wife primarily drives the Jeep, and I primarily commute via public transportation. Next year, I plan on buying myself another car once I get some bills paid off. I plan on purchasing a used CTS-V.

I had my next vehicle choices down to a few. They were the Audi A6 (preferably the '07 4.2 V8), Volvo S80 ('07 V8), Volvo XC90-V8, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, or the Cadillac CTS-V..a car which I've always loved. After careful thought, I eliminated the need for a second SUV. The Cherokee will serve us well when it gets out of the shop. We had a '94 Cherokee with 274K miles that was recently stolen...thats when I purchased the '02 Cherokee.

With the SUV eliminated, I had my list of sedans. Of those three, the CTS-V was the one that I determined to be the best for me. I like to go fast, and I really wanted my next car to have a manual transmission. This car fits the bill perfectly. The S80 seems like a fun car...but kinda bland. The A6 seems nice as well, but the V just has a special place in my heart. I've only owned domestic cars, so it would be nice to keep the streak going. For the record, my previous cars were the 94 Cherokee, the '93 Chrysler, a '94 Saturn, and a '76 Buick Electra limited.

I'm not a stranger to turning wrenches. Back when I was younger (I'm 29 now) I used to always work on my cars. I am familiar with the basic bolt-ons, and I have actually done engine building projects for both my 455 Buick V8, as well as my lil 4 cylinder saturn engine. As time progressed, I kinda grew apart from tuning and moved on to other hobbies.

I'll spare you the rest of my life story but I am now researching my next purchase, which will be a CTS-V. I've driven the LS6 powered V a while back at an Edmunds Live event. I've also recently had the keys of a '10 CTS-V tossed to me as well. I still crap my pants thinking about how crazy that car was. From my research, I think and '05-'07 V will be in my price range by around this time next year. I highly doubt the '09 prices will have dropped that low by then. I understand the differences between the two. I'm not gonna lie...I am kinda partial to the LS6 (not based on performance comparisons, solely based on the fact of it being the "corvette motor"...my brothers and I grew up loving vettes. This is about as close as I can get...having a family to transport and all). Either one will fit the bill just fine though.

I understand the issues that have been covered in detail with regards to the rear differentials. I honestly don't plan on heavily modifying whichever CTS-V I end up with, but I am aware of the redesigned differential that was used in '06-'07 models. I would be more than willing to acquire a decent '04-'05 model for a lower price with the full expectation of replacing/upgrading the diff, as well as replacing the axles with the aftermarket offerings to reduce any possible wheel hop. I can also forsee myself doing intake, exhaust, and short throw shifter as well.

That being said, I enjoy reading the forums here. I have learned a lot, and will continue to lurk and read. I hope to start shopping for my car sometime next year. this will give me plenty of time to be further informed prior to purchasing.

Thanks for reading
-Langston

Twitch
04-20-10, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the forum. As far as the rear. The one you get will probably have an upgraded (Gen II or Gen III) diff. If it doesn't, you may not need to change it. Plenty of us have the original Gen I diff, and it's fine.
Hope you get one sooner than later.

Tony

Houdini
04-20-10, 05:28 PM
Welcome. Even if you get a gen I diff, just throw in an aftermarket axle or two and you may never have to worry about it. Afterall, you said you didn't plan on doing any major power mods.

Don't forget, the ls2 is a corvette motor too! It can even pull boats! LS2 FTW! :) Ohh and make sure you get the fastest color too.... I shouldn't have to spell it out but just in case you don't know...the fastest color is platinum.

rlj5
04-20-10, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forum..... & yes the ls2 is also used in the Vettes, So that kinda opens up your choices some.

Good luck finding the V you want
ls6 or ls2, makes no difference, Both great engines

rand49er
04-20-10, 10:55 PM
I really like this post. OP, you're going to deprive yourself for a long time. By the time you actually buy your car, I can just see that you're going to relish every second you own it and especially when you drive it. Delayed pleasure is fabulous ... just fabulous.

Good luck and be sure to chime in once in a while. :thumbsup:

cvettr/cts-v
04-21-10, 01:12 AM
Welcome and good luck holding off that long to buy one. Do good research and the right one will be there at the right time.

heavymetals
04-21-10, 05:25 AM
"I honestly don't plan on heavily modifying whichever CTS-V"

FAMOUS LAST WORDS.

DeadPoet
04-21-10, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words folks!

Baltimore07V
04-21-10, 11:22 AM
"I honestly don't plan on heavily modifying whichever CTS-V"

FAMOUS LAST WORDS.

I told that to my wife when I bought mine. With-in 4 months I had the UUC shifter, mounts, LS7 Clutch kit, and Gforce axles.

:thumbsup:

DeadPoet
11-12-10, 04:56 PM
Hey guys, Just an update...

Looks like my CTS-V plans will be derailed for quite some time. Earlier this year I purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the wife. (mentioned in my isitial post) It was totalled thanks for a guy running a red light and t-boning her last month. She (and my stepsons were rush to the hopsital. Thankfully they were able to recover. A week prior to the accident, I got myself a cheap beater for $700 (saturn) to be used for my fishing and kayaking trips. The accident really put a damper on things. The payout for the jeep was about equal to the amount we owed. We were down to my one little car, which really isn't adequate to serve as family transport (Family of 4, soon to be 5!). Yesterday I went out and picked up a pretty nice Volvo XC90-V8for the wife. She's happy...she's always wanted an XC90. I was happy to surprise her last night. The accident really had her down about things.

That being said, with the note for this car and the baby on the way, I HIGHLY doubt I'd be able to buy myself a CTS-V next year like I planned. Since the wife is happy, I'm ultimately happy...but it still sucks to have your plans derailed like this. One of these days! *shakes fist in air* lol...

Houdini
11-12-10, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to hear everyone was able to recover. Those XC90s are super nice. A buddy at work got one and I have really enjoyed riding in it. You'll get your v someday... hey maybe a v2!

Baltimore07V
11-12-10, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, Just an update...

Looks like my CTS-V plans will be derailed for quite some time. Earlier this year I purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the wife. (mentioned in my isitial post) It was totalled thanks for a guy running a red light and t-boning her last month. She (and my stepsons were rush to the hopsital. Thankfully they were able to recover. A week prior to the accident, I got myself a cheap beater for $700 (saturn) to be used for my fishing and kayaking trips. The accident really put a damper on things. The payout for the jeep was about equal to the amount we owed. We were down to my one little car, which really isn't adequate to serve as family transport (Family of 4, soon to be 5!). Yesterday I went out and picked up a pretty nice Volvo XC90-V8for the wife. She's happy...she's always wanted an XC90. I was happy to surprise her last night. The accident really had her down about things.

That being said, with the note for this car and the baby on the way, I HIGHLY doubt I'd be able to buy myself a CTS-V next year like I planned. Since the wife is happy, I'm ultimately happy...but it still sucks to have your plans derailed like this. One of these days! *shakes fist in air* lol...

I love my car, but honestly, its still a car. Just pay off the XC90 and get a used V2 in a few years. I am glad everyone has recovered from that accident, puts a perspective that at the end of the day, cars are things. Family is still more important. Oh, and when you get your V, its worth the wait.