: MN or WI Members - Rock Falls Raceway May 1

HeavyH20
04-19-10, 07:20 PM
Just throwing it out there to any members in Minnesota or Wisconsin who may be interested in testing our their car at a Test and Tune session at Rock Falls Raceway on May 1. The runs start at 9:00 AM through until 3:30. After that, the bracket races start.

I am headed out there with a couple of friends to run their 02 Z06 and 08 IS-F.

Details, here:

http://www.rockfallsraceway.com/schedule.shtml

ashanson
04-19-10, 07:33 PM
I'd love to go but I'll be in Iowa that weekend. Really hoping to make it to at least one drag day this year, either RF or CFR.

biiz1957
04-19-10, 07:51 PM
Almost went this last weekend....I did a test and tune last year (stock 13.5 et )the 60' track conditions were really harsh.. hop..hop..hop..maybe it was the (run craps) BIR has a smoother 60' start I hear with a street drag on the 5th of May (Wednesday)from 4 till dark? What are you gonna run on the rears? I have some Conti Extreme Contacts from the few times I drove it this winter that I am thinking of deflating to around 24lbs or maybe I should buy the Hankook's V12 and try those since I am running at BIR on the 3 mile course next month

HeavyH20
04-19-10, 08:43 PM
I am just going to baseline it with the stock tires. I do have my winter tires, as well (Dunlop M3). They are definitely softer and might work better at the track. I will probably pop them in the back and bring them along for a try. Just trying to get a feel for what the car can do.

biiz1957
04-19-10, 09:08 PM
Well, I have a friend with a C5 that may want to go also...:yup:

biiz1957
04-19-10, 09:10 PM
I am hoping for a sub 13 e.t. with the mods and 30 rwhp added since last year

Matt05V
04-19-10, 09:34 PM
Anyone going to Cars & Coffee that morning? I'll be there for the morning and then more than likely heading to Rockfalls afterwards. I hear a number of cars from there are doing the same.

biiz1957
04-19-10, 10:24 PM
Cars and coffee???

cts-v771
04-19-10, 11:09 PM
Here is a link to the place
http://automotorplex.com/

HeavyH20
04-20-10, 09:03 AM
I was planning on going to the automotorplex the next month. I was more interested in getting out early to Rockway for some extra runs. The monthly Cars & Cafe event is very cool.

biiz1957
04-24-10, 12:15 AM
Any more Mn or Wisc V's going?:thumbsup:

biiz1957
04-26-10, 07:40 PM
Any more Mn or Wisc V's going?:thumbsup:

$69.... 9 till 3 all the runs you want ....just need a Snell helmet....:histeric:

HeavyH20
04-27-10, 03:13 AM
Weather is looking promising, as well, for Saturday. Mostly sunny, high around 70. Sounds like a good combination :)

Hope to see some V's representing ! I will have my HD camcorder along to tape some runs.

biiz1957
04-28-10, 11:02 PM
Weather is looking promising, as well, for Saturday. Mostly sunny, high around 70. Sounds like a good combination :)

Hope to see some V's representing ! I will have my HD camcorder along to tape some runs.

SWEET!!!:thumbsup:

HeavyH20
04-30-10, 03:34 AM
It should be a fun day! I am bringing a portable canopy with a few foldable chairs. Anyone is welcome to hang out. I will be the Silver V along with the Silver ZO6 and Black ISF. I have two digital HD camcorders and a window mount tripod. If anyone wants a quick video, I will set you up and email/youtube link you the video.

Make sure you have a Snell M2005 or SA2005 helmet! If you do not have one, we will have one we can share (unless your mellon is gargantuan).

Also, the Cars and Cafe crowd will be heading out to the track around 10:30 AM to arrive at about 1 PM. There should be some nice cars coming along in that crowd. Should make for a very interesting day.

So much fun for $69 :)

HeavyH20
05-01-10, 06:34 PM
It was a fun day. The Cars and Cafe crowd showed up and all of a sudden there were BMW M3's, Porsches (Turbo, GT2 and a couple of tuners), Corvettes and Shelby Mustangs amongst others. I did see biiz1957 and Matt05V out there. biiz1957 was getting some nice trap speeds but the Continentals looks to be slipping a bit. I am sure he will be back to report his best time. :)

I got a good solid stock baseline with the Goodyear RSA runflats before I do any mods. It was hard getting the car rolling at the track. I can see why car magazines can get better results since they run on a cement track with no slick prep and their trap speed is by radar snap at the end of the quarter mile instead of the 100 foot average used at the drag strip. On the street, I have never had my car hop that so much from 2 - 3, or 1-2 for that matter.

I got a bunch of 13.6 runs but the best of the day was 13.563 @ 106.52 with a 2.285 60 foot. I was pleased with that but definitely need some tires that can hook up a little better. My budddy's Z06 managed a 1.9 60 foot time with the Nitto NT-01's. They seemed to work quite well. Might have to consider those.

Well, now it's time to fold in the mods this summer and see what incremental improvements they offer. :)

HeavyH20
05-01-10, 08:13 PM
Here is the corrected run for the weather and three of my runs since it didn't happen without a picture.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7272/correctedrun.jpg

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5358/may12010.jpg

HeavyH20
05-01-10, 09:07 PM
Here is a video of one of biiz1957's runs on YouTube. The link should work once it is processed.

YouTube- 2006 Cadillac CTS-V vs 2002 Corvette Z06

biiz1957
05-01-10, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the video Heavy..wish it could have been of my 13.30 run 109.70 mph (crappy 2.29 60ft.) I tried everything to hook up those Conti's ...(drag radials next time for sure if I want to see 12"s) Nice to see you and Matt05. I don't think Matt ran today. Did you see that MG get sideways and barrel roll like 4 times and slide down the track on it's roof?...that guy is lucky to be alive. Nice times for your 1st time at the track with you V . :)

CORRECTED
Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
13.017 @ 112.136 MPH

HeavyH20
05-02-10, 12:21 AM
Yes, not your best run, but, it was nice to see a V so far in front of a Corvette out of the gate :)

I missed that 13.3 run. Wow! Nicely done. Of course, your traps certainly supported that potential. Maybe you burned off enough of the Contis to get to some softer rubber! I am not sure if I would go with slicks since they could break something. I am sticking with a good street tire like the RE-11. It is not a slick but will support a 1.9 60 foot. You need some tire spin at the start to avoid breaking things, especially on the V.

It would have been nice if the air density was better but that's what happens when a low is moving through. Did you get a chance to meet up with an M3 or one of the GT2s?

That MG looked a little squirrely all day. His suspension looked a little soft. Every time he took off it was barely in control. Looks like it caught up to him on that run. Went sideways at the end around 100 MPH in the trap, spun, then rolled up onto his roof, scraped across into the left lane and bumped the wall pretty hard. Good thing he had a roll bar on that convertible. That snap on roof was trashed.

It was a lot of fun. I will be planning another visit after the trailing arm install, axle swap, exhaust and better tires are in place. So, likely June sometime. I wonder if they will do the Cars and Cafe thing again and come out to the track after? It was nice to run against other street cars instead of an open exhaust, slicked up 10 second car from the 60's.

I should have enlisted Matt05 to take some more videos. It is hard to participate and watch. I think I did 12 runs. Not too bad and no grenaded differential. :)

biiz1957
05-02-10, 10:55 AM
My slip says your buddy had a 1.05 R/T on that video compared to my .148 R/T. I thinks it was my 1st run of the day maybe his too. I would have been happy to video a run for you....get you next time after your mods and you will be pushing the 13 barrier:D I will scan my timeslip and post it. Your 13.56 time was against my buddy in the maroon converible corvette. His best time yesteday was 13.111 @105 mph 2.14 60ft...big difference compared to 2.29 60fts on the V. You are right about the weather though... corrected last year stock I was 13.59 compared to yesterday 13.001 after mods with about the same 60 ft times.. so that is little more then a 1/2 sec for 30 more rwhp. Let me know when you are going again.. I will also be doing BIR for the road course.

biiz1957
05-02-10, 01:55 PM
Yes, not your best run, but, it was nice to see a V so far in front of a Corvette out of the gate :)

I missed that 13.3 run. Wow! Nicely done. Of course, your traps certainly supported that potential. Maybe you burned off enough of the Contis to get to some softer rubber! I am not sure if I would go with slicks since they could break something. I am sticking with a good street tire like the RE-11. It is not a slick but will support a 1.9 60 foot. You need some tire spin at the start to avoid breaking things, especially on the V.

It would have been nice if the air density was better but that's what happens when a low is moving through. Did you get a chance to meet up with an M3 or one of the GT2s?

That MG looked a little squirrely all day. His suspension looked a little soft. Every time he took off it was barely in control. Looks like it caught up to him on that run. Went sideways at the end around 100 MPH in the trap, spun, then rolled up onto his roof, scraped across into the left lane and bumped the wall pretty hard. Good thing he had a roll bar on that convertible. That snap on roof was trashed.

It was a lot of fun. I will be planning another visit after the trailing arm install, axle swap, exhaust and better tires are in place. So, likely June sometime. I wonder if they will do the Cars and Cafe thing again and come out to the track after? It was nice to run against other street cars instead of an open exhaust, slicked up 10 second car from the 60's.

I should have enlisted Matt05 to take some more videos. It is hard to participate and watch. I think I did 12 runs. Not too bad and no grenaded differential. :)

I talked to the guy with the silver GT2 who was running low 11's and he said he had about 700hp. Who was that tuner group?...nice blue M5 too.

Matt05V
05-03-10, 04:33 PM
I've got a ton of pictures of your guys' cars at at various parts of the track, even E.T. amd trap speeds. I'll get them up as soon as I can.

The tuner was EVOMS (Evolution Motorsports out of Tempe, AZ). They're big into the Porsche tuning (as well as several other brands).
The other silver GT2 they had i believe is their built 3.8L pushing around 1000hp. With a terrible start they were only able to pull off an 11.0..but at 151mph!!! They've ran 9's with a similar build in a 997 Turbo with slightly lower mph. The cars they build are amazing.

On a side note, traction seemed to be quite the issue out there, everyone was spinning like crazy.

biiz1957
05-03-10, 05:04 PM
I've got a ton of pictures of your guys' cars at at various parts of the track, even E.T. amd trap speeds. I'll get them up as soon as I can.

The tuner was EVOMS (Evolution Motorsports out of Tempe, AZ). They're big into the Porsche tuning (as well as several other brands).
The other silver GT2 they had i believe is their built 3.8L pushing around 1000hp. With a terrible start they were only able to pull off an 11.0..but at 151mph!!! They've ran 9's with a similar build in a 997 Turbo with slightly lower mph. The cars they build are amazing.

On a side note, traction seemed to be quite the issue out there, everyone was spinning like crazy.

Pic's would be great!!! I wonder if BIR has a better start then the Rock?

Matt05V
05-03-10, 05:21 PM
Though I haven't ran at Rock Falls, from the look of things I think BIR is better. I've ran at BIR numerous times and spectated countless and I can't say I've seen the traction issues I saw on Saturday given the power levels of some cars.

biiz1957
05-03-10, 05:33 PM
My slip says your buddy had a 1.05 R/T on that video compared to my .148 R/T. I thinks it was my 1st run of the day maybe his too. I would have been happy to video a run for you....get you next time after your mods and you will be pushing the 13 barrier:D I will scan my timeslip and post it. Your 13.56 time was against my buddy in the maroon converible corvette. His best time yesteday was 13.111 @105 mph 2.14 60ft...big difference compared to 2.29 60fts on the V. You are right about the weather though... corrected last year stock I was 13.59 compared to yesterday 13.001 after mods with about the same 60 ft times.. so that is little more then a 1/2 sec for 30 more rwhp. Let me know when you are going again.. I will also be doing BIR for the road course.

Here is the timeslip..

biiz1957
05-03-10, 05:45 PM
Though I haven't ran at Rock Falls, from the look of things I think BIR is better. I've ran at BIR numerous times and spectated countless and I can't say I've seen the traction issues I saw on Saturday given the power levels of some cars.

I am going to a Wednesday nite drag. Hopefully more street cars, and less modified 10 sec cars with big slicks leaving lots of rubber!!:rant2:

JimmyH
05-03-10, 05:47 PM
Not sure I would put slicks on a CTS-V. That's asking for trouble.

The car mags get good times because they have a track all to themselves, and as many back-to-back runs as they need to get it right.

biiz1957
05-03-10, 08:38 PM

The car mags get good times because they have a track all to themselves, and as many back-to-back runs as they need to get it right.

So what tire would you use for drag and road racing? Heavy say's he likes RE-11's.

biiz1957
05-03-10, 08:46 PM

If you are refering to this "less modified 10 sec cars with big slicks leaving lots of rubber!! " I meant the 10 sec beasts that lay down the rubber that were at Rockfalls last Saturday..not what I was planning on doing.

JimmyH
05-03-10, 09:01 PM
the stickier the tire, the more traction, the more stress you are putting on the differential. While I get sick of hearing about the CTS-V "glass diff" it certainly is not conducive to hole shots.

The last time I was at the track, I ran a 13.55 (all stock) on all season tires. The others were only running a couple tenths faster than me, and they had headers, intakes, etc on ultrahigh performance tires. The point is that the CTS-V is not a car that hustles off the line very well. Don't get me wrong, drag racing is fun, you just have to baby this car at the track unless you want a repair bill on Monday.

HeavyH20
05-06-10, 07:39 PM
I totally get that approach. But, the Goodyear RSA all season runflats were certainly less than optimal. I would expect a non-runflat with a little better rubber to help a little of the line. My times were pretty much spot on with yours with the same set up. Since wheel hop is a function of no grip, I would assume that a little better tires with software sidewalls to help hop a little at the same time allow enough slip. The balance would be nice.

For the sake of argument, I should probably go back to the track with the tires as the only change to see what each item offers.

JimmyH
05-06-10, 08:54 PM
On a prepped track, any tire is going to give you wheel-hop. I had RS-A (not runflat) with Hendrix pro axles. On the street, I got negligible hop. At the track, I was hopping like I did with the F1s and stock axles.

Your best approach is modulate the clutch pending wheelspin the first 100ft or so, then drop the hammer once your clear. That's the best way to ensure the longevity of your ride.