: Steering Wheel Controls (programming?)

WesH8398
04-18-10, 11:47 PM
I've had my 06 V for a few weeks now and I recently realized that my steering wheel controls on the right hand side are totally out of whack. I know where to go to customize what these buttons do, but it seems that there are some functions missing from the list ... IE VOLUME CONTROL - The inner button is clearly marked with a volume control-type icon, but there is no such function to choose from my list ... what's up with that? Am I missing something?

ichpen
04-18-10, 11:51 PM
You need to get your dealer or someone with a Tech 2 tool to reprogram your Navi for a CTS-V. I've seen it happen before.

WesH8398
04-19-10, 12:31 AM
Any idea what the dealer will charge to do that? How would the V program have been un-done?

cvettr/cts-v
04-19-10, 12:39 AM
If you can go to competion mode with the left controls going to a dealer may not be the answer. If you can not go to comp mode then the car could have had the radio/nav replaced and not programmed correctly then the dealer and tech 2 programming is the answer.

WesH8398
04-19-10, 01:02 AM
The controls on the left all work fine ... they control both info centers as well as a traction control button. Is "competition mode" just when you have TC turned off?

ichpen
04-19-10, 01:26 AM
Comp mode is when you tap the traction control button twice in succession. It should flash up on your screen. I'm fairly sure you still need a tech 2 to enable volume buttons. Same thing happened to me when they replaced my nav unit. Had to program it twice before volume would work.

PISNUOFF
04-19-10, 11:04 AM
Also, does the stability system turn off when you hold down the TC button for 5 seconds? It sounds like you've never turned off the stability system or gone into Competition Mode either. These will allow the rear end to go sideways. Hitting the TC button only once will only allow the wheels to spin in a straight line. If you can't go into Comp mode or turn it off entirely, that is a tell tale sign that the radio was programmed incorrectly and needs to be done with a Tech II.

MAPerformance
04-19-10, 08:40 PM
If you turn the right side buttons into volume control, what happens to cruise control speed up and slow down?

V-Eight
04-19-10, 09:13 PM
Cruise on the 06-07s was on the stalk rather than the steering wheel, I believe.

PISNUOFF
04-19-10, 09:23 PM
:yeah:

MAPerformance
04-19-10, 09:45 PM
Well piss.

WesH8398
04-21-10, 12:56 AM
Holding down the TC button on the steering wheel DOES indeed turn the stability control off. I haven't seen any indication of "competition mode" anywhere, but I do get the message that the stability control is turned off, and I get the dash light that the traction control is turned off. Still haven't figured out the volume control thing though ...

EDIT: So here's what happens with the TC button on the steering wheel:
-One tap = TC off
-2nd tap = TC still off, but nothing else seems to happen (no message on nav screen)
-3rd tap = TC back on
-Hold for a few seconds = TC off, Stability off

sailrace
04-21-10, 10:47 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but speaking of button programming, does anyone know of any way to make the radio seek button on the steering wheel switch from preset to preset, rather than scanning the dial. It would be nice to be able to jump presets without having to push the radio buttons.

WesH8398
04-21-10, 12:24 PM
Not to hijack this thread...

That's pretty much what you're doing...:thepan:

sailrace
04-21-10, 04:04 PM
That's pretty much what you're doing...:thepan:

I know, i know, but it is about steering wheel controls. I at least tried to keep it on topic.:worship:

garrettg
04-21-10, 04:55 PM
Holding down the TC button on the steering wheel DOES indeed turn the stability control off. I haven't seen any indication of "competition mode" anywhere, but I do get the message that the stability control is turned off, and I get the dash light that the traction control is turned off. Still haven't figured out the volume control thing though ...

-One tap = TC off
-2nd tap = TC still off, but nothing else seems to happen (no message on nav screen)
-3rd tap = TC back on

Had the same issue, due to new DIC/radio installation few months before I purchased car while is sat on dealer lots. Have the dealer reset it to CTS-V configuration with a Tech2. One interesting thing I noted was with the default CTS configuration on the steering wheel controls a person could actually access the voice command functionality that the car obviously has with the volume down button. AFAIK this functionality is not accessible once your programmed with the correct variation of the software. I did not have a nav disc when mine was programmed wrong, but the voice stuff if it does work with nav might be nice to have. Not sure if its worth loosing all the rest of the buttons for it though or if it makes the nav easier to use. I could say things like radio or cd though after hitting the messed up volume down button and it would do these tasks.

WesH8398
04-21-10, 07:28 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but speaking of button programming, does anyone know of any way to make the radio seek button on the steering wheel switch from preset to preset, rather than scanning the dial. It would be nice to be able to jump presets without having to push the radio buttons.
It's in your personalization settings. Go main menu, settings, and "feat prog" or something like that. There you can change the programmable steering wheel controls. I believe what you're looking for is "preset +" and "preset -" or something to that effect.

-One tap = TC off
-3rd tap = TC back on

Anyone have any ideas here?

WesH8398
04-21-10, 07:32 PM
GarrettG - That's what mine does right now. What should be "volume down" is a voice command prompt. I recall reading in the manual somewhere that the V doesn't offer the voice command prompt, so it struck me as strange. The service records I got with the carfax for the car didn't mention the NAV unit being replaced, but I guess it must have been. Guess that would be the reason why all the buttons are in fantastic shape. Hope it's not a sign of other issues...

WesH8398
04-29-10, 11:40 PM
Took it to the local dealership today and $66 later (1/2 an hour's labour) it's got the "V" program and everything works like it should. The guy writing up the work order had NO idea what I was talking about and had to get the shop foreman to come talk to me before he could write up the damn work order. hahaha Thankfully the foreman was all over it. Too bad I couldn't get it done for free, but I did try.