: Pinging using 92 Octane

3Fletch
04-18-10, 09:48 PM
I have a 05 CTS-V with only an exhaust and an intake.. Even when running the highest Octane available the car will ping when I really get on it. Running normal or even getting on it a bit it will not ping but at full throttle the car pings quite a bit. Is this normal or should I try some fuel additives to help eliminate the pinging. I know some guys are running lower octane but I always run the highest available.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2manycars
04-18-10, 10:13 PM
I am wondering if you have a tuning issue?

I also have an 05, and it doesn't ping at all running 92/ 93 octane, but it is stock. It may also be the gas you are buying. Have you tried different brands?

You may want to consider a wait4me ecu. I forget the price, but Jesse sells and sends you a new ecu with a tune programmed in it for your mods, and you just swap out your original ecu for the one Jesse sends you. It is not as good as a dyno tune, but for your mods, it should work fine and be your cheapest bet. If you add more mods like headers, etc., you will want to consider a dyno tune... they are more accurate and better match your car.

3Fletch
04-18-10, 10:21 PM
Yeah that is what I was thinking of doing, but I would not think the car would ping with the slight mods I have. As far as trying other brands, yes I have tried several different brands but I will try more.

2manycars
04-18-10, 10:41 PM
In thinking on it more, you may want to check your air filter and especially your fuel filter also. Those are simple mods, and I would also think the ecu can adjust to them. Call Jesse and ask him. I haven't talked to him personally... but from what I have read he seems to have a good reputation here as a straight shooter.

Maybe some guys with more experience with this will speak up.

kirchbed
04-18-10, 11:54 PM
Had the same problem. Really bad pinging at WOT. Everyone on the forum kept questioning the quality & octane of the fuel. It was the fuel filter, period. Really easy replacement, cheap part... check it out before you spend anymore time on this.

PISNUOFF
04-19-10, 06:45 AM
:yeah:

Sounds exactly like you are starving for fuel. Especially since you increased the air in and air out.

3Fletch
04-19-10, 12:31 PM
Excellent, thanks for the suggestions I will look into it...;)

ahahnu
04-21-10, 11:20 PM
My car would give me a loose rattling sound in the same situation. I was told that's the pinging. I had my fuel filter replaced in February. Should I have it done again?

2manycars
04-23-10, 03:08 PM
My car would give me a loose rattling sound in the same situation. I was told that's the pinging. I had my fuel filter replaced in February. Should I have it done again?

It's hard to tell by your description. A fuel filter replaced in Feb should still be good to go... unless you got some bad gas or something.

Can you rephrase your question, and hopefully we can help you more. A rattling sound (or what ever sound it is) is not good, so let's see if we can help.

ahahnu
04-23-10, 06:59 PM
When I accelerate a good amount (usually I just try to save gas and enjoy once and awhile), but say hard accell into traffic from an on ramp or something, I get a loose rattling sound. It happens in multiple gears, but I don't usually drive hard enough to hear it. Or I've just learned to drive around it.

I just had a fuel filter replaced, just after 103,000.

I remember telling my old Cadillac tech (they're closed now or I'd still be going there) possibly say he tightened the heat shield. I don't honestly remember.

2manycars
04-24-10, 11:25 AM
Pinging is a dull muffled semi metallic sound, that comes directly in front of you from the engine.

If your sound has more of a clear tinny metallic sound, and it is below , below front, behind, or underneath you.... my guess is that it is a heat shield, exhaust, or something else.

Where are you hearing it from?

ahahnu
04-24-10, 12:07 PM
I would call it more the loose tingy sound.

Does anyone have a pic of the heat shield?

I figure I'll try both, changing gass and add a treatment and check the heat shield.

Thank you.