: Radio buttons still look good - any ideas on how to keep them that way?

2manycars
04-18-10, 12:45 AM
Hi Guys,

Really need your help and ideas here!

The radio buttons are still in good shape... any ideas on what can be done to keep them that way? What can I put on or over them to make them last longer?

Been racking my brain trying to come up with a simple solution. Thought about clearing them... but I didn't want to start spraying away inside the car.

Any ideas would be appreciated, so please put on your thinking caps and post away. Maybe someone has already been thinking about this and has come up with a better idea than I have ;)

Thanks!
Brent

Driven2slow
04-18-10, 01:57 AM
Keeping my nails trimmed since Ive owned the car has helped. The buttons were scratched abit, but i have yet to scratch them myself. And I always use the steering wheel controls as much as i can.

rand49er
04-18-10, 07:18 AM
Keeping my nails trimmed since Ive owned the car has helped. ...That's the culprit: fingernails.

I'm thinking of replacing mine maybe this summer. But, I'm NOT going to do it till there's some kind of protective coating on them.

So, what's clear, durable, and can be applied with a small brush? Nail polish?

Den_93
04-18-10, 10:32 AM
I was going to try the protective coating used on cell phone screens. I need to replace my buttons too. Need to order some from Luke on Monday.

2manycars
04-19-10, 10:39 AM
That's the culprit: fingernails.

I'm thinking of replacing mine maybe this summer. But, I'm NOT going to do it till there's some kind of protective coating on them.

So, what's clear, durable, and can be applied with a small brush? Nail polish?

The nail polish sounds like a pretty good idea. :)

If you used a really fine haired brush, I would think it would go on pretty smooth.

I was going to try the protective coating used on cell phone screens. I need to replace my buttons too. Need to order some from Luke on Monday.

I have a screen protector on my Droid, but it is actually pretty stiff and I would not be able to get it to bend around the edges. Do they make a more pliable protector that you know of? Any more details on this?

Thanks for the feedback guys!! Keep it coming.

Brent

repenttokyo
04-19-10, 03:22 PM
the same type of screen protector material offered by Zagg might work well, it's quite pliable, but the question is could you trim it nicely enough that it doesn't collect dust at the edges of each button?

heavymetals
04-19-10, 03:28 PM
DRIVING GLOVES.

Once you find the right fit, you will never go back.

lollygagger8
04-19-10, 03:46 PM
DRIVING GLOVES.

Once you find the right fit, you will never go back.

Hahahaha please dont tell me you drive around with gloves on (on street not track)

Dont let any girls touch the radio. If you have long enough nails to scratch em up you either are a vampire or do coke lolz

heavymetals
04-19-10, 03:53 PM
Hahahaha please dont tell me you drive around with gloves on (on street not track)

Dont let any girls touch the radio. If you have long enough nails to scratch em up you either are a vampire or do coke lolz

You bet I do. :thumbsup:

And, I ain't the only one that I know that wears driving gloves, and not for button peel.

soflarick
04-19-10, 06:18 PM
I think putting protectant on the buttons may lead to them peeling. I noticed the issue on the shifter boot ring, the corners are peeling, and I have been good about wiping lightly with a rag and 303 Products. I'm only going to use a towel and water to wipe the buttons.

rand49er
04-19-10, 09:49 PM
... I ain't the only one that I know that wears driving gloves, and not for button peel.Hm-m ...

KaMaSuTrA
04-20-10, 01:35 PM
Just try hitting the buttons around the text, that's what I've been doing.

814V
04-20-10, 06:32 PM
don't let bitches touch your nobz

bjv
04-20-10, 08:51 PM
It's a lot of trouble but you could take the buttons out, spray them with clearcoat, and put them back in. I've read that Lindsay sells just the buttons for replacement, and somewhere I saw the procedure for replacing the buttons.

rand49er
04-20-10, 09:42 PM
It's a lot of trouble but you could take the buttons out, spray them with clearcoat, and put them back in. I've read that Lindsay sells just the buttons for replacement, and somewhere I saw the procedure for replacing the buttons.Yeah, most of us know about Luke having the buttons. (Note to self: order a full set of buttons from Luke.)

I agree with the clear coat idea. The question is, what's the most durable (hard, non-brittle, tough) stuff? Must be as clear as possible and be minimally opaque.

shadybx7
04-21-10, 12:24 AM
don't let bitches touch your nobz

agreed, i can never concentrate when they do that

:lol: