: One Day in New Orleans what to do ?

daacon
08-23-04, 08:05 PM
I have a conference in Septmeber in New Orleans that runs from Sunday evening until Wednesday. I arrive Saturday afternoon so will have pretty much a day to kill. Never been to the "Big Easy" anyone got some ideas for Saturday Night and most of the day Sunday? Wil be staying at the Astor Hotel (Crown Plaza) if that helps

Unknown at this point weather or not I will rent a car - depends on if I decide to do something.

thx.................dy

illumina
08-23-04, 08:51 PM
drink, party, have alot of sex, get super stupid! afterall, how many times will you be able to go to new orleans? :drinker :D

daacon
08-23-04, 10:10 PM
drink, party, have alot of sex, get super stupid! afterall, how many times will you be able to go to new orleans? :drinker :D

Maybe 20 years ago :lildevil: (for the later two) .....albiet drinking likley be involved at some point :drinker.

Freeking Saints are out of town there goes the NFL aspertations (never been to an NFL game ). Any other suggestions ?

Rolex
08-24-04, 07:44 PM
Visit the French Quarter and Market. There's lots of good places to eat and drink, and lots of freaky s**t to see. It's a rough city so be safe. God speed.

tru504187211
08-24-04, 08:11 PM
Yea, Rolex said it best....French Quarter...hopefully its sunny outside with all the street entertainers around the area! PS - New Orleans was by far my most favorite place I've ever visited.

illumina
08-24-04, 11:08 PM
Maybe 20 years ago :lildevil: (for the later two) .....albiet drinking likley be involved at some point :drinker.

Freeking Saints are out of town there goes the NFL aspertations (never been to an NFL game ). Any other suggestions ?

20 years ago!!!! na, it's never too late to party. just as long as you get up and make sense of things the next day.

also, i remember back when i lived in arizona, in 98', i was at the saints-cardinals game. cards won, 13-10. that was the year they made the playoffs. when i last visited N.O. though, i never got a chance to go to the superdome. wish i had though. new orleans rocks.

oh, and i agree, the french quarter is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. DONT miss out on that one.

Elvis
08-26-04, 11:40 AM
mmmmmmmm.....beignets!

http://www.cafedumonde.com/images/scrapbookColor/5.jpg

http://www.cafedumonde.com/

D148L0
08-26-04, 06:27 PM
Make sure you go to a ""Preservation Band" jazz show. Ask for the schedule and get there early, the place gets packed. You won't regret it. After that, any bar is good to drink your liver dead. As the guys said, lots of crazy stuff happen there... I have tons of flashing girls photos, too bad they are not safe enough to be posted here... :bulging:

daacon
08-27-04, 09:36 AM
French quarter is a definite thanks all. Also :drinker seems to be a popular choice. ummm better pratice that here :cool:

There may have some scheuded events as well , if not I like the ""Preservation Band" jazz. Looking forward to it.

daacon
10-06-04, 10:30 PM
Well those days have come and gone. Thanks for all the advice. Was a pretty hetic schedule (conference) - but Hotel was about 8 feet from Bourbon Street.

First thing I saw Saturday Night strolling down Bourbon Street (threw the masses of people) was a Neon Sign -'Drinks to Go" ...my kinda town. It was a little kiosk with nothing but a counter and kegs of beer underneath - serving "drinks to go". Lots of places had 3 for 1 specials with no strings attached !!! It is so comptetive they just hope you stay.

Everyone was required to have a drink / cigarette or cigar in hand while walking. Bar / restaurant / strip club / bar / restaurant/ strip club ..loop ...The street itlsef was barley 12 feet wide ......neat place.

I use to think Vegas was "Sin City" - New Orleans wins !! Man Mardi Gras must be insane :drinker :drinker

Overall did not get to do much sight seeing other than the French Quater and of course nightly visits to Bourbon Street. Great food as well. Jumbalya (sp?), Catfish, Gumbo , Steak Bits with "fire spices" ...man it was great.