: How to remove driveshaft????

Jon
04-17-10, 02:19 PM
I'm working on the rear right now trying to replace the rear diff bushing. Took the 6 allen bolts off the driveshaft. Is there anything else?? I can't get it to disconnect. I can see inside where there is grease, but I can't remove the driveshaft from the rear diff. Please help!

ctsv154
04-17-10, 03:27 PM
Its just kind of a tight fit. If you have a dead blow or somethingto tap on it with it should come out. In the center of the drive shaft is another CV joint and it will compress when push the shaft foward out of the pinion.

CancerJCC
04-18-10, 02:41 AM
Funny you should ask. Me, being a giant noob, went to install my clutch and couldn't get the DS to come out so I just moved it aside and worked around it (not wanting to FUBAR something up). When I went to button things up afterwards and moved the DS just a little bit more it literally fell out of the differential. So ya it is just snug when you unbolt the 6 (8mm) bolts.

rand49er
04-18-10, 08:27 AM
Jon, did you index it? Others claim you need to.

maxspeed96ct
04-18-10, 10:46 AM
Wait, are you just changing the diff bushing or are you removing the diff completely.

Because If your just changing just the bushing you shoulnt have to completely remove the drivesaft.

Just loosen the two bolts in the middle of the drivesaft to get slack out of it if needed.

Jon
04-18-10, 10:52 AM
Wait, are you just changing the diff bushing or are you removing the diff completely.

Because If your just changing just the bushing you shoulnt have to completely remove the drivesaft.

Just loosen the two bolts in the middle of the drivesaft to get slack out of it if needed.
That's what I ended up doing. The 2 sets of writeups I found both said I needed to remove it, but figured it out.

And yes Randy, I did index it, but didn't end up taking it off.

Doba
04-19-10, 11:00 AM
bringing old thread back via Search :D

taking off my DS also having this problem, everything lose she moves just cant seem to wiggle it off, came on here to see if IM missing anything.. guess not..

What do you guys mean when you say "index" ?

uwood
04-19-10, 11:11 AM
Mark where it lines back up, with a grease pencil. That way you shouldnt have any vibrations when it goes back on.

Though, I have always seen that if the DS is balanced you shouldn't have issues anyway.

Give it a good tug and it will come apart.

PISNUOFF
04-19-10, 11:11 AM
Haha, this thread is only 1 day old, but good job searching. Indexing is simply marking the CV joint and the pinion yoke to make sure you reinstall the driveshaft in the same orientation as you took it off. You have to work a little bit to get the dirveshaft to compress and separate from the pinion yoke.

Doba
04-19-10, 12:37 PM
Haha, this thread is only 1 day old, but good job searching. Indexing is simply marking the CV joint and the pinion yoke to make sure you reinstall the driveshaft in the same orientation as you took it off. You have to work a little bit to get the dirveshaft to compress and separate from the pinion yoke.

lol looking at the date did cross my mind, however must have forgotten :bigroll:

I will continue to tug, and yes marking is what I thought it meant :highfive: