: Black smoke coming from the exhaust?

jwall09
04-15-10, 11:39 PM
The stats:
- 85ish MPH
- 4th gear
- 82 degrees outside temp
- 205 tranny temp (wtf, seems high as hell)
- 204 oil temp

I was passing a slowbie running in 4th gear and all of a sudden black smoke shoots out the exhaust. As soon as i let off the gas it went away and never came back. The only other time it has done this to me was right after i put the new exhaust on. Now i will say i never manual shift so i dont ever run the tranny temp up that high by holding gears (i assume thats why my tranny was so hot). Thoughts?

PGA2B
04-16-10, 11:54 AM
Do you have the tuned ECM in there?

ozmt
04-16-10, 01:40 PM
I'm not an expert by any means, but here are a couple of thoughts:
Tranny temp of 205 is not high. I've had many hi-perf cars with tranny temp gauges, and 205 is relatively normal.

Black smoke is not unusual for me. I don't ride it hard enough to clean it out, but when i do jump on it, black smoke (carbon build up) usually can be seen for a couple of seconds. I think that this is even more common using premium fuel and just babying the car around, like i do.

Hopefully this post is not rambling too much. I just had knee surgery and the drugs are pretty good!

jwall09
04-16-10, 11:10 PM
I'm not an expert by any means, but here are a couple of thoughts:
Tranny temp of 205 is not high. I've had many hi-perf cars with tranny temp gauges, and 205 is relatively normal.

Black smoke is not unusual for me. I don't ride it hard enough to clean it out, but when i do jump on it, black smoke (carbon build up) usually can be seen for a couple of seconds. I think that this is even more common using premium fuel and just babying the car around, like i do.

Hopefully this post is not rambling too much. I just had knee surgery and the drugs are pretty good!

This makes me feel better because you described my driving. Thank you.

CIWS
04-17-10, 09:12 AM
That's why you (we) need to step on it and bring those RPMs up. Got to clean that carbon out. :D