: TC control

Jbawden
04-15-10, 08:30 PM
Hi all,

2007, K&N CAI, stock PCM, magnaflow mufflers with stock tubing.

TC (traction control) light started going on and off today (seemingly randomly) accompanied by what feels like a slight misfire (no check engine light however and nothing on the NAV screen, just the amber TC light). Drove about 75 miles more to get home and noticed that when I made right hand turns everything was fine, but left hand turns made the light come on, though only when on the gas (1%-100% throttle). No pot holes or any thing happend, just cruising down I-80. Have an appointment first thing AM, but curious about others thoughts & experiences. Using the handy search function, maybe YAW sensor or a wheel speed sensor? I'm speculating that the misfire may be the PCM cutting the throttle thinking that I'm losing traction, but what do I know.

heavymetals
04-16-10, 01:35 PM
SWPS

Steering Wheel Position Sensor

Jbawden
04-16-10, 05:09 PM
Dealer found misfire codes (no CEL illuminated) but is suggesting that I fueled up with gas containing more than the maximum 10% ethanol (in CA anyway). There is a general E85 TSB (Bulletin No.: 05-06-04-035C) that describes the condition if we used E85 in cars not E85 compatible (I didn't, but it's plausible that the fuel I got had more than the normal 10% ethanol) and one of the resulting driveability issues is TC light coming on. So, no charge for this visit, refuel somewhere else and drive it is the recommendation. By the way, it was a Shell station for those that are curious.

ELES6CTS
04-16-10, 06:00 PM
Seems odd that is would only do it when you turn one direction though.

heavymetals
04-16-10, 06:15 PM
Maybe you have multiple problems and one just exacerbates the other.

CancerJCC
04-16-10, 08:13 PM
If it keeps acting up take it to the dealer and have them hook up the tech II then turn the wheel back and forth while banging on the steering wheel. Apparently if your SWPS (my guess also) is bad it will give out weird readings. I am only regurgitating what I have read when my SWPS went bad though. If you end up needing it replaced its a $90 part and about $400 in labor. Check out my DIY it is not very difficult to do if you are mechanically incline a little.

Jbawden
04-17-10, 12:54 AM
All is well today. No issues whatsoever. I guess these cars have complex electronics (probably overly so) as evidenced by the oil pressure sender door lock issue or the difficulty getting blue tooth devices to work (up until the two new solutions came on line recently). Anyway, not going to over think this until something comes back.

Jbawden
04-30-10, 01:26 PM
Problem resurfaced. Same symptoms as before. I read the SWPS (steering wheel position sensor) how-to and it certainly could be that, but I've got none of the other issues (no ABS, Stabilitrac, etc) just the TC light coming on. I scanned for codes before I brought it back to the dealer this morning and got a P0856 Traction Control Input Signal. It bothers me that this code was probably in there last time but they blamed it on me as if I filled it up with the wrong gas (E85 for instance). We'll see what I hear back later today. By the way, I didn't tell them I scanned it this morning to see if they try to BS me on not finding any codes.

CancerJCC
04-30-10, 07:00 PM
I cannot recall if my TC (amber dash) light would flash on when my SWPS went bad. It would just flash on the DIC and I don't remember any of the research I did indicating the code you are getting. But who knows maybe Darkman or Bill can come in and shed some light. Nice call on the scan now you can call the tech out if he tries to fug you! :)

Baltimore07V
05-01-10, 11:16 AM
Problem resurfaced. Same symptoms as before. I read the SWPS (steering wheel position sensor) how-to and it certainly could be that, but I've got none of the other issues (no ABS, Stabilitrac, etc) just the TC light coming on. I scanned for codes before I brought it back to the dealer this morning and got a P0856 Traction Control Input Signal. It bothers me that this code was probably in there last time but they blamed it on me as if I filled it up with the wrong gas (E85 for instance). We'll see what I hear back later today. By the way, I didn't tell them I scanned it this morning to see if they try to BS me on not finding any codes.

Had the exact same issue with mine about a month ago. Took it down to Lindsay and they replaced my SWPS. It is apparently quite common to have it go bad (a known issue). If the dealership screws with you, find a new dealership. I would pull the shop manager aside and let them know what their tech and service writer are doing prior to driving off into the sun set, that way they can atleast be aware of the problem.

But like a few others have said. SWPS.

Jbawden
05-01-10, 12:22 PM
Now they are saying it was water intrusion on the ECM. Found some corroded pins and other evidence of water getting in there. When I dropped the car off I explained that the SWPS should be checked, but I feel like they just ignore my comments as I'm "just a customer, what do I know about my car" (tech pride, if you will). I'm certain that I'll be back with the same problem next week. I kind of want the issue to come back so I that I can be vindicated with my SWPS diagnosis that I've been suggesting all along (thanks to you folks).