: Automatic or 6 speed manual

Velocity V Man
04-14-10, 10:38 PM
Hello everyone,

Just enrolled in CTS-V forum tonight. I have a few questions for the CTS-V gearheads.

Have 2010 CTSV on order and ready to get some goodies installed. I have had many hotrods in the past and looking for the right setup and ingredients.

Has anyone installed a 6spd manual differential into automatic car ?
3.23 versus 3.73-old school knowledge tells me to expect huge acceleration results???

Has anyone had the guts to throw nitrous on these cars and if so the results and the shot size.

Boost-is the lower pulley better performance than the upper pulley
I'm an ex svt cobra guy and feel upper is better, but you guys are the experts. let me know your thoughts and psi level????

And for all around performance mostly straight line and acceleration is the auto better then the 6 spd manual ????

Has anyone ported the supercharger blower on these fine vehicles ?

I have spent alot of money on other cars and the performance gains were above average but looking to install the best parts money can buy and why
you are recommending the parts.

I value all your opinions and look to your vital insight on these questions

comments, suggestions and recommendations Please !!!

N8dawg
04-14-10, 11:01 PM
6 speed

DrumStix
04-14-10, 11:12 PM
The 6 speed auto is a better performing setup in a drag and on the road course.

Of course changing to a numerically higher gear ratio will increase acceleration results.

Lower pulley is the better option to change. You did say you came from Cobra's, right?

Companies have been porting blower snouts with good results.

Search for the rest, you'll see many posts answering your questions.

Umrswimr
04-15-10, 08:06 AM
The 6 speed auto is a better performing setup in a drag and on the road course.

Of course changing to a numerically higher gear ratio will increase acceleration results.

Lower pulley is the better option to change. You did say you came from Cobra's, right?

Companies have been porting blower snouts with good results.

Search for the rest, you'll see many posts answering your questions.
I would disagree on the transmission choice. The auto is faster in every magazine test I've read about and, in general, drag race folks seem to prefer automatics anyway.

I went with the 6-speed because I loathe autos and racetracks are much more fun with a manual transmission. Again, the 'ring record was set with an auto, so it's purely a preference.

As for the rear-end change.... I would hold off on that. This car is already geared too short for freeway cruising, IMHO.

DrumStix
04-15-10, 09:24 AM
Pepsi or Coke.

I would disagree back at ya. :)

It is all a matter of preference and normal slushbox autos are not fun. This car does not have a normal slushbox. Do you think rally cars with their sequential gear boxes aren't fun? They look like a blast to me and just because I'm not pushing a pedal to the floor with my left foot, the right foot is very effective in these cars.
Sport mode on this car is...fun. Get the TCM tuned and it's really fun. This is coming from someone who raced a stick for 20 years. Autos are very good now, and fast. The future is here already. My opinion is not biased because I do not loathe manuals.
If the times are faster in the auto, and that is what they ended up choosing to make the 'ring record, why not get the faster option if you are buying a performance car? Same goes for the 1/4 mile.

SlvrBullIT
04-15-10, 10:14 AM
I believe fastlane did a 200 shot nitro on their 10 sec car.

JFJr
04-15-10, 10:45 AM
There are many threads on this forum dealing with the never-ending discussion of automatic vs. manual transmission in the "V," and the reason why an automatic car was used for the 'Ring record. The reason is not what you might expect and John Heinricy (who achieved the record) has stated publicly in a video that he prefers the manual transmission in the "V."

gnxs
04-15-10, 10:45 AM
Hello everyone,

Just enrolled in CTS-V forum tonight. I have a few questions for the CTS-V gearheads.

Have 2010 CTSV on order and ready to get some goodies installed. I have had many hotrods in the past and looking for the right setup and ingredients.

Has anyone installed a 6spd manual differential into automatic car ?
3.23 versus 3.73-old school knowledge tells me to expect huge acceleration results???

Has anyone had the guts to throw nitrous on these cars and if so the results and the shot size.

Boost-is the lower pulley better performance than the upper pulley
I'm an ex svt cobra guy and feel upper is better, but you guys are the experts. let me know your thoughts and psi level????

And for all around performance mostly straight line and acceleration is the auto better then the 6 spd manual ????

Has anyone ported the supercharger blower on these fine vehicles ?

I have spent alot of money on other cars and the performance gains were above average but looking to install the best parts money can buy and why
you are recommending the parts.

I value all your opinions and look to your vital insight on these questions

comments, suggestions and recommendations Please !!!
Here's the fastest CTS-V I've seen to date in the 1/4, it claims a 100hp N20 shot for this pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm5d1rIaHyA&feature=player_embedded

It also ran a 10.7 or 10.8 @ high 120's the same day off the spray.

In addition to my "V" I also currently own 2004 Cobra (street/strip use). Like DrumStix mentioned, some of the same modding approaches that work on the Cobra work on the "V", but there are other things you need to look out for. Upper and lower pulleys, Cold-Airs, Headers/Exhaust, Cams, Blower Porting, etc. are all available from a number of sponsors here. Gears will only take you so far if you're not going put some decent rubber on the car. Unlike our Cobras, the 19 inch wheel size limits options unless you want to swap out your rims. I will tell you my very lightly modded "V" (Lower pulley, Cold-Air ,Tune) will outrun the average modded, pullied Eaton, DR-equipped Cobra and I'll do it (and have done it) on the factory PS2 radials. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I went with the auto because I already have a stickshift car for my gear rowing enjoyment and since my wife needs to drive the "V" occasionally I got the auto. For drag purposes, the auto will certainly be easier to wring out good, consistent numbers with, but you certainly won't be nearly as "involved" in the experience as you would with the stick. A trip down the 1/4 mile is pretty uneventful in an auto equipped "V" (unless you're running REALLY fast I imagine).

What are you intending to use the "V" for? Fast daily driver, street/strip, road racing interest?

Where are you located?

DrumStix
04-15-10, 04:08 PM
There are many threads on this forum dealing with the never-ending discussion of automatic vs. manual transmission in the "V," and the reason why an automatic car was used for the 'Ring record. The reason is not what you might expect and John Heinricy (who achieved the record) has stated publicly in a video that he prefers the manual transmission in the "V."

And the manual V behind him during that video was busy as hell trying to stay with him and turned a slower time. Read through the entire article.

DiamondWhtV
04-15-10, 05:29 PM
Interesting...on the Cadillac website it lists the rear axle ratio is 4.15 for 2010 with the six speed and I don't know if it is any different with the auto. Where was the info for the 3.23 and 3.73 in the V series?

4gear70
04-15-10, 06:34 PM
Interesting...on the Cadillac website it lists the rear axle ratio is 4.15 for 2010 with the six speed and I don't know if it is any different with the auto. Where was the info for the 3.23 and 3.73 in the V series?

That's an error. The Aisin AY6 transmission (standard on the CTS) comes with a 4.15 first gear.
The rear axle ratio for the manual is 3.73 and the ratio for the auto is 3.23.

Ratios are as follows for the auto tranny (6L90):
1st - 4.03
2nd - 2.36
3rd - 1.53
4th - 1.15
5th - 0.85
6th - 0.67
Rev - 3.06

Ratios for the manual are as follows (TR6060):
1st - 2.66
2nd - 1.78
3rd - 1.30
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.80
6th - 0.63
Rev - 2.90

Prof
04-15-10, 06:42 PM
Boxers or briefs?

I have a six speed Viper, I wanted an automatic.

JFJr
04-15-10, 08:00 PM
And the manual V behind him during that video was busy as hell trying to stay with him and turned a slower time. Read through the entire article.Maybe you need some homework as well. It would be interesting if Heinricy did a run on the 'Ring with the manual, having spent as much time with it as the the automatic, and see what the result would be. Perhaps you aren't interested in the preference of the man who is responsible for the "V," but your own agenda.

Razorecko
04-15-10, 10:52 PM
The manual needs a short shifter. The throws are a little long for me.

Velocity V Man
04-15-10, 11:23 PM
Great forum with great people, thanks for the tips and advice. greatly appreciated !

v4meinsandiego
04-15-10, 11:37 PM
Manual all the way. If this car had a dual clutch tranny, I would opt for that but with the current slush box no thanks. I had a Vette with the same auto tranny this thing has and hated it. The manual V connects you with the car and engages you into an experience only those who drive one know what I am talking about. While autos may be easier for the wifey its boring the rest of the time. Driving it around town accelerating and decelerating with the manual (especially when combined with a Crank Pulley upgrade and exhaust) is epic. With my current mods and the manual tranny, the stock auto V that ripped up the Nury stands no chance. I now have the best of both worlds.

Razorecko
04-16-10, 12:30 AM
Manual all the way. If this car had a dual clutch tranny, I would opt for that but with the current slush box no thanks. I had a Vette with the same auto tranny this thing has and hated it. The manual V connects you with the car and engages you into an experience only those who drive one know what I am talking about. While autos may be easier for the wifey its boring the rest of the time. Driving it around town accelerating and decelerating with the manual (especially when combined with a Crank Pulley upgrade and exhaust) is epic. With my current mods and the manual tranny, the stock auto V that ripped up the Nury stands no chance. I now have the best of both worlds.

as another fellow stick owner during aggressive shifting do you also find the throws to be just slightly long ?

DrumStix
04-16-10, 09:06 AM
Maybe you need some homework as well. It would be interesting if Heinricy did a run on the 'Ring with the manual, having spent as much time with it as the the automatic, and see what the result would be. Perhaps you aren't interested in the preference of the man who is responsible for the "V," but your own agenda.

So you think he took the slower car to set the record? He had his choice of what he wanted to drive and this was his third trip to the 'ring. What were his first two attempts in? It's not a trick question and you have a 50% chance of getting it right.

Look at :12 of this video. He's signaling to Aaron in the manual behind him that he is ready to role. The manual should have started out front if it was faster.
http://cadillac.gmblogs.com/2009/04/09/world%E2%80%99s-fastest-production-%E2%80%98ring-runner-sedan-up-for-auction/

While John may enjoy rowing gears like the rest of us, the sport mode in the V is faster around the 'ring.

I did my homework. You have the agenda.

http://cadillac.gmblogs.com/2008/06/16/john-heinricy-talks-about-the-v/

DrumStix
04-16-10, 09:08 AM

No sport mode there and it did suck. This thing with a tune is sick on the shifts. If you were around this area I would take you for a spin.

v4meinsandiego
04-16-10, 09:40 AM
No sport mode there and it did suck. This thing with a tune is sick on the shifts. If you were around this area I would take you for a spin.

Agreed. It had no sport mode but mine did have a tranny tune and with it, I couldn't stand hitting the rev limiter between manual paddle shifting. The lag compared to DCT type vehicles is ssssssllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwww. I know that is sped up with various tranny tunes but its not DCT quick. I also had an M6 with the SMG and couldn't stand that either. The car was great, actually fantastic, except for that POS SMG. I love things that work and work well and that is why the Manual is my choice in this car. My 2 cents.

I don't think the throws are longer than any other manual sports car.

Razorecko
04-16-10, 10:43 AM
Agreed. It had no sport mode but mine did have a tranny tune and with it, I couldn't stand hitting the rev limiter between manual paddle shifting. The lag compared to DCT type vehicles is ssssssllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwww. I know that is sped up with various tranny tunes but its not DCT quick. I also had an M6 with the SMG and couldn't stand that either. The car was great, actually fantastic, except for that POS SMG. I love things that work and work well and that is why the Manual is my choice in this car. My 2 cents.

I don't think the throws are longer than any other manual sports car.

I don't think they are longer than other cars either. I just think that there could be a decent benefit from shorter throws. Eventually someone will come out with a short throw kit. They always do

Vrocks
04-16-10, 10:58 AM
The auto has proven to be faster in tests but I'm sure the manual is more fun to drive - unless it's a daily driver and you sit in traffic.

The lower pulley mod seems like the better option. It's easy to change the pulley size and the belt doesn't slip, which can occur with an upper pulley change. If you contact wait 4 me performance, you can get huge numbers at a great price. The pulley setup is around $900 and the head and cam package is very fairly priced. Combined with a tune and an air box mod and you should be close to 600 at the wheels (auto and relatively mild cam). If you do headers you'll pick up another big chunk of RWHP.

gnxs
04-16-10, 11:23 AM
This thing with a tune is sick on the shifts.
:yeah:

FSTCADY
04-16-10, 07:07 PM
The question of which is faster (auto or manual) is interesting but lets face reality...95% of the people that buy this vehicle will not be capable of driving the car to its full potential anyway; my self included :) For most of us our driving skills will slow us down more than the few tenths of a second difference between the manual and the auto.

I picked based on what I thought would be the most fun. I debated between the ease of an auto in every day traffic (I live in hill/conjested San Franciso) and the potential fun in a manual. I chose the latter but it was tough. I like the idea that the car will get faster as I get better at driving it. If someone pulls up next to me in an auto today they'd probably embarrass me a bit but in a few months who knows!!

Gary Wells
04-16-10, 08:21 PM
The Manual:
GG tax of $1300, I believe
Faster (higher top end by about 10 MPH?)
A tad slower in the 1/4 & on the street
better mileage
About 40 more RWHP than the auto on the average
About 33 more RWTQ that the auto
About 50-100 lbs lighter that the auto

The Auto:
GG tax of $2600, I believe
Slower (less top end by about 10 MPH?)
A tad quicker in the 1/4 & on the street
not quite so good mileage
About 40 less RWHP than the manual on the average
About 33 less RWTQ that the manual on the average
About 50-100 lbs more that the manual

Just a guess, this all sound about right?

Indyblue98
04-16-10, 08:59 PM
The Manual:
better mileage

The Auto:

What gear (4 or 5) are the Auto cars running on the dyno?
I ask because it appear that there is no direct 1 to 1 ratio available.
Since the manual trans cars have the 3.73 gears vs the autos 3.23?
Has anyone tested both 4th and 5 gears in the auto to see if there is a significant difference.
Just wondered if there is a choice where both cars are within a couple hundred rpm at the same mph when comparing the power output.
:stirpot:
I only have a STS-V so i'm just lurking and hoping to get the newer car someday.:bouncy:

Gary Wells
04-16-10, 09:14 PM
I believe that autos are supposed to be dynoed in 4th, but I could be wrong on that.

4gear70
04-16-10, 10:02 PM
The Manual:
better mileage

The Auto:

Top end is ~20+ MPH difference in favor of the manual as it's not limited.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/John-Heinricy-explains-in_165622.htm

4gear70
04-16-10, 10:05 PM
I believe that autos are supposed to be dynoed in 4th, but I could be wrong on that.

Usually they'll dyno cars with a 1:1 ratio, whatever gear that may be. However, the Auto V has 1.15 4th so there may be some sort of correction being used.

Gary Wells
04-16-10, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the correction. I do believe that the auto is dynoed in 4th, but I did not remember the differences in top end being a full 20 MPH.

4gear70
04-16-10, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the correction. I do believe that the auto is dynoed in 4th, but I did not remember the differences in top end being a full 20 MPH.

No problem, Gary. In that video link I posted, John Heinricy mentions that the manual went 191 mph 'in a circle' and he suspects that it could probably have gone even faster in a straight line run! I would tend to agree that one could squeeze another few mph out of it if given the room to stretch it's legs. :D

Vrocks
04-16-10, 10:36 PM
The Manual:
better mileage

The Auto:

If someone didn't know beter, they'd never believe the auto is faster doing anything!

Gary Wells
04-16-10, 10:47 PM
If someone didn't know beter, they'd never believe the auto is faster doing anything!

'09 & up Cad Bone stock ¼ elapsed times & MPH’s, Owners, 60 ft.

¼ ET--------MPH--------trans---------owner-----------60 ft. times

11.99-------118.00-------auto------mpouls1--------1.801= 60 ft
12.06-------119.62-------auto------Tedboss1-------1.950=60 ft
12.10-------118.00-------auto------brent eb02
12.10-------119.00-------auto------SRT8/BMW
12.15-------116.50-------auto------CTSVeee--------1.885= 60 ft
12.20-------?????---------auto------FastRunner
12.22-------114.30-------auto------Veelocity-------1.83= 60 ft
12.31-------119.80-------stick------Easy2speed
12.31-------114.40-------auto------CTSVeee--------1.92= 60 ft
12.32-------116.00-------auto------Hondarrr
12.36-------117.00-------auto------Pat & Kat McRat
12.50-------?????---------auto------Ready2Roll
12.53-------118.40-------auto------Tedboss1-------2.19=60 ft

It appears that the manual owners don't run that often.

Razorecko
04-16-10, 11:25 PM
^ also the ratio of auto to manual V's is like 10 to 1

garfin
04-17-10, 06:36 AM

Precisely! Not only are there far fewer people with manual cars out there, but not every one is going to be racing them. The gene pool of V2 manual drivers who race their cars (and do it well) is a lot smaller than with the autos...
There is no doubt in my mind that it is a lot more difficult (and challenging!) to wring out the car's maximum performance in a manual car than with the slushbox - especially in a straight-line acceleration contest.
People obviously decide on the auto or manual based on their needs, preferences and priorities.
I think it's great that GM finally gave us the choice of having either of the 2 setups!:D
After having my manual car a little less than 2 mos. now, I'm getting pretty darned consistent at pulling off quick launches (in competition mode), keeping the rears just on the edge of traction with no bogging and minimal wheel spin. It really is a joy when it's done right!
The bonus for me is that the manual is so easy to drive on a daily basis, even in traffic with its light clutch, smooth take-up and easy shifter action. I'm busting to feel what this car can do on the track at Mosport!

Best regards,

Elie

Gary Wells
04-17-10, 07:23 AM
I am aware of that, Razor. But still, without manual owners running and laying down #'s the general consensus will always be that the autos are quicker on at least the 1/4 mile & the street.

JFJr
04-17-10, 08:46 AM
So you think he took the slower car to set the record? He had his choice of what he wanted to drive and this was his third trip to the 'ring. What were his first two attempts in? It's not a trick question and you have a 50% chance of getting it right.

Look at :12 of this video. He's signaling to Aaron in the manual behind him that he is ready to role. The manual should have started out front if it was faster.
http://cadillac.gmblogs.com/2009/04/09/world%E2%80%99s-fastest-production-%E2%80%98ring-runner-sedan-up-for-auction/

While John may enjoy rowing gears like the rest of us, the sport mode in the V is faster around the 'ring.

I did my homework. You have the agenda.

http://cadillac.gmblogs.com/2008/06/16/john-heinricy-talks-about-the-v/If my memory serves me correctly, he had been spending a good bit of time with the auto version when the opportunity for the run presented itself. He stuck with the auto version because at that point he had not learned all the optimum shift points in the various turns with the manual version, to get the best time. (More skill and technique is required with the manual version.) Again, when asked his stated preference was for the manual version. Why do you think that is so? Is it because he likes slower cars? These are not a trick questions either. Do you think it is possible that he might be a better driver with the manual than some of the other GM engineers? I've heard that he was a fairly successful racer.

Vrocks
04-17-10, 09:01 AM
This is ridiculous! I think trying to justify one transmission over the other is dumb. Just buy what suits your needs better...

Razorecko
04-17-10, 09:33 AM
the auto's will be faster up to the 1/4" mile mark generally. After that the manual would take over. And the manual would have a distinct advantage on the highway also....I can drop 2x gears if i need to on the highway does the auto do that ? - Hey Garfin, what rpm are you launching at ?

4DR_ZR1
04-17-10, 09:55 AM
also....I can drop 2x gears if i need to on the highway does the auto do that ?
... yes

Prof
04-17-10, 10:21 AM
This is ridiculous! I think trying to justify one transmission over the other is dumb. Just buy what suits your needs better...

Not sure it is ridiculous or dumb...heck we can go from here to penis size and really get raunchy...

But in support of your concept...there is no resolution...it really is just preference...but on the other hand:

Thunder Gray is the fastest color by far!

Gary Wells
04-17-10, 10:49 AM
I maintain the charts on 1/4 mile runs, dyno runs from various types of dynos for the RWHP & RWTQ figures, & averages for whatever knowledge is there. I figured that others would be interested in seeing them also. I simply can't understand anybody getting excited over one type of transmission over the other. Each has it's advantages, and each has it's disadvantages.
BTW, Prof, thanks for the dyno info that you PMed me with the other day. I did add it to the charts.

Prof
04-17-10, 12:10 PM
BTW, Prof, thanks for the dyno info that you PMed me with the other day. I did add it to the charts.

Before and after Lingenfelter is fun stuff!!!

DrumStix
04-17-10, 03:03 PM
Agreed. It had no sport mode but mine did have a tranny tune and with it, I couldn't stand hitting the rev limiter between manual paddle shifting.

Yup, my friends did that and it was retarded.

DrumStix
04-17-10, 03:06 PM
The Manual:
better mileage

The Auto:

I think so except for the top speeds. I believe the auto is 175 and the manual is 191 stock. You can tune them both to 255, and given the right gears and HP..... :thumbsup:

DrumStix
04-17-10, 03:07 PM

Yes, as close to 1:1 as possible to show correct torque output.

concorso
04-17-10, 04:07 PM
It is my understanding that it doesnt matter what gear you dyno in, as you can just calculate the hp based on the gear ratios?

garfin
04-17-10, 05:30 PM
the auto's will be faster up to the 1/4" mile mark generally. After that the manual would take over. And the manual would have a distinct advantage on the highway also....I can drop 2x gears if i need to on the highway does the auto do that ? - Hey Garfin, what rpm are you launching at ?

So far, I'm having reasonable success trying to launch around 2200 RPM (give or take) and rolling into the gas (nothing abrupt) with a little tiny bit of clutch slippage, just right at the very start of the launch.
It seems to be very easy to do (staying on the threshold of traction) what with all the torque the car has, as long as you're not impatient...
Abrupt application of the throttle/higher RPM launches and sidestepping the clutch looks to be a waste of energy, tires and clutch lining!!
My launching technique on this car has to be a bit more careful and controlled than in my heads and cam LS1 Camaro, but it's not a whole lot different. I'm more a road racer/autoX guy than a drag racer, but anything more than just a bit of wheel spin never seems to help my 60' times. I'm able to manage 1.97 - 2.02 60' times on street tires.
I've never run down the strip on a drag radial - the combination of a tire, the puny 7.5" stock rear end in that car and 4.10s is guaranteed to grenade the ring and pinion!

Best regards,

Elie

roarkb
05-16-10, 10:14 AM
The Manual:
better mileage

The Auto:

Gary as usual you have a great summary of the data.

A couple of other notes, the manual does not have the remote start feature which is nice on a hot day in the south.

The manual is much rare and really gets the "shock value" when people get in your Cadillac...

It takes some practice to be fast with the manual because the car is so strong it will run through the gears so fast that you have to be on top of your game not to redline the car and lose acceleration.

Gary Wells
05-16-10, 11:03 AM
Gary as usual you have a great summary of the data.

A couple of other notes, the manual does not have the remote start feature which is nice on a hot day in the south.

The manual is much rare and really gets the "shock value" when people get in your Cadillac...

It takes some practice to be fast with the manual because the car is so strong it will run through the gears so fast that you have to be on top of your game not to redline the car and lose acceleration.

Thanks, roarkb, I will add that to my data.

GMX322V S/C
05-16-10, 11:48 PM
...I can drop 2x gears if i need to on the highway does the auto do that ?..Oh yeah. She'll drop 3 gears--from 6th to 3rd in an instant. Around 75-80, this sends the tach instantly up to just south of 6K or so, followed quickly by an upshift to 4th at redline without getting into the rev-limit at all. The acceleration from 75-80 to 120 is breathtaking...

Vrocks
05-17-10, 03:09 PM
I'm surprised we haven't seen an auto vs manual race from a roll yet, or on a1/4mi track...

gnxs
05-17-10, 07:02 PM
I'm surprised we haven't seen an auto vs manual race from a roll yet, or on a1/4mi track...
I've never seen a "V" at the track when I've been there period....auto or stick. :noidea: