: To Crank Pulley OR To Not Crank Pulley? That Is the Question...

thebigjimsho
04-13-10, 03:50 PM
Guys, the V goes down to Behe later this week for headers and a tune. I had thought about doing a crank pulley as well but I'm not sure. I haven't even gotten fully used to the stock power. But since it's going all the way down there, I was thinking about it.

So if I were to go the pulley route, which setup should I use. I know pulleys aren't exactly rocket science, but I wanted opinions.

Fire away...

Gotham CTS-V
04-13-10, 03:55 PM
Nice and simple upgrade is the 9.5" pulley. Dude I'm telling you, it makes the car FAST. It retains the exact same daily driver characteristics. Nobody would know. But hit the gas and the supercharger screams and the car just struggles for traction all the way up to highway speeds. It makes a huge difference and from what I've seen, it doesn't affect drivability at all. If you don't need the extra crazy hp and torque and just want to enjoy the V, then no sense in increasing boost. I wanted a bit more speed and fun and this was the perfect mod. Just my 2 cents. Goodluck.

Prof
04-13-10, 03:55 PM
I have the Lingenfelter package...am very satisfied...

http://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-packages/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2010/cadillac-cts-v-lsa-2009-2010/378-cid-lsa-supercharger-pulle

thebigjimsho
04-13-10, 04:01 PM
I have the Lingenfelter package...am very satisfied...

http://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-packages/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2010/cadillac-cts-v-lsa-2009-2010/378-cid-lsa-supercharger-pulle
Very nice. I was looking at that. But I want to stay away from the supercharger pulley and stick with the crank/balancer...

Prof
04-13-10, 04:02 PM
Why not both?

DrumStix
04-13-10, 04:13 PM
Very nice. I was looking at that. But I want to stay away from the supercharger pulley and stick with the crank/balancer...

D3's looks like a sweet mod. I ordered it so we'll see what's up in a couple weeks.

Nutz
04-13-10, 05:03 PM
I just erased a long reply. Now the short one:
The PS2's won't hold down a 9.5" if you plan on hitting a road course that uses 2nd gear. Hell, 3rd gear even has surprises if you mash it two early in the apex exit. Stock the V2 is already work enough for foot modulation. 9" is my suggestion. 9.5" is a perfect street or drag race weapon though. It's all based on your plans with the car. Half the track fun in the V1 is the wide use of WOT during the apex and exit.

Gary Wells
04-13-10, 06:35 PM
Why not both?
possibility / probability of belt slippage at the supercharger pulley? Or is that just a rumor?

Prof
04-13-10, 06:44 PM
Don't know...has anyone tried it?

the addition of a tension pulley is the usual approach to belt slippage...but it would be an interesting experiment!

dvandentop
04-13-10, 06:55 PM
you are slipping through the mods cracks so soon jimbo

CTSV4now
04-13-10, 07:10 PM
The PS2's won't hold down a 9.5" if you plan on hitting a road course that uses 2nd gear. Hell, 3rd gear even has surprises if you mash it two early in the apex exit. Stock the V2 is already work enough for foot modulation. 9" is my suggestion. 9.5" is a perfect street or drag race weapon though. It's all based on your plans with the car. Half the track fun in the V1 is the wide use of WOT during the apex and exit.

With most aftermarket balancers out there you can swap a 9 and 9.5 pretty quick. So I'd vote for crank pulley over the blower pulley.

ronzride
04-13-10, 07:17 PM
Is a different size belt and/or tune required when moving to a larger crank pulley??

gnxs
04-13-10, 07:52 PM
Been around this question for many years with my Cobra.

Personally, I'd do the crank pulley. You greatly eliminate the chance of belt slippage and if you decide to change the diameter later for more boost, it's easy to swap a different ring size.

I fought belt slip with the Eaton and Whipple on my Cobra until I decided to add boost using the lower pulley while keeping the blower pulley large enough to get some decent belt wrap. That's why I went the "lower" route on my "V".

My $0.02.

Dr. Design
04-13-10, 08:16 PM
Hello,
If you are looking for the highest quality balancer/pulley on the market just look at the D3 Cadillac 9" pulley or the 9.5" pulley. It is the only pulley on the market that was not reversed engineered, stronger than factory, and still weights 5 lbs. less than the factory balancer. The importance of having a quality balancer can be highlighted by the fact that we did not have to guess/calculate what the tolerances and harmonic frequencies needed to be. It was right there on the blueprints along with all the specs, dimensions, call outs, etc.. This allowed us to build with the confidence of knowing we have done everything according to spec. Since this item was designed in CAD we were then able to run the model through the program to determine areas in which we could safely remove material to reduce overall weight. The result was a reduction of 5 lbs. over factory without compromising the integrity of the part.

I think that you will find our product is unmatched from an engineering & performance standpoint. It is a complete polished product that will not disappoint, something that you would expect on a Cadillac.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Guys, the V goes down to Behe later this week for headers and a tune. I had thought about doing a crank pulley as well but I'm not sure. I haven't even gotten fully used to the stock power. But since it's going all the way down there, I was thinking about it.

So if I were to go the pulley route, which setup should I use. I know pulleys aren't exactly rocket science, but I wanted opinions.

Fire away...

demorgan59
04-13-10, 08:33 PM
I have the W4ME 9 1/2" pulley and am very happy with it. I have a few more mods that give more power, but I wouldn't do it any different.
You will get a CEL with AR headers and the 02 sensors turned on as they should be. I haven't decided if I will go back to stock exhaust manifolds and modified piping with the stock mufflers or not.
I still need to work on the trans tune as mine is not right yet, but I believe you have the stick so you're good there.

Tony407
04-13-10, 08:38 PM
I thought you were having some potentially serious problems with knocking and were waiting to figure out what was going on before you modded? Did you get to the bottom of everything?

Tony

DrumStix
04-13-10, 09:50 PM
possibility / probability of belt slippage at the supercharger pulley? Or is that just a rumor?

Not with the crank pulley. You are adding surface area to the belt, not taking it away. If you go with a very small snout pulley, yes it will slip. Been there with Vortech's before. Not the blowers fault, just a last of grip and trying to push 17 lbs of boost.

DrumStix
04-13-10, 09:55 PM
Is a different size belt and/or tune required when moving to a larger crank pulley??

Yes on the belt but it comes with it. Also make sure you change the snout bolt. 9.5' pulley also come with a new tensioner in the kit from all the good engineering shops out there.
I would at least do a few dyno pulls and check A/F ratio with any pulley change. You may not be in any trouble with a 9" pulley but you also won't be anywhere near max performance for dollar invested if you don't have a good tune in there as well.

thebigjimsho
04-13-10, 10:07 PM
I thought you were having some potentially serious problems with knocking and were waiting to figure out what was going on before you modded? Did you get to the bottom of everything?

Tony
Yeah, I've thought long and hard about that.

In talking to ewill, with me not having the noise anymore, it would be nearly impossible to get GM give the OK to tear an engine down for a noise that may never come back. I do have the noise on YouTube and I do have documentation that I took the V to my dealer who noted the problem.

I also have got quite a few miles post oil change with some hard miles and a few quick trips in a straight line...if ya know what I mean. So if I'm going to hear it, you'd figure you would under those circumstances.

And I refuse to play it safe waiting who knows how long for the big bang...if it ever comes. So I'm going to mod it and hope for the best...

cbloveday
04-13-10, 10:22 PM
Simple, do the 9.5. It is reversible back to stock and swapping to a 9 for the road course is a breeze as long as you get that quick change setup.

thebigjimsho
04-14-10, 12:59 AM
I may hold off on the pulley altogether until I get a road course, or 2, under the belt...

Titaniumseeker
04-14-10, 09:24 AM
Behe did my Kooks header install and tune and they did great work. You will find John Behe to be very knowlegable and a true "Car Enthusiast". Be forewarned, if you have handheld tunes installed you will lose them as John will only tune your vehicle for the headers from stock position. Other than that, it is a nice clean shop with mechanics that love cars so you will not be disappointed in their work.

I am scheduled to have Jesse install the heat exchanger, 9.5" pulley and redo my handheld tunes at the end of the month.

BTW: The roads around Behe are perfect for road testing...:lildevil:

thebigjimsho
04-14-10, 11:14 AM
Behe did my Kooks header install and tune and they did great work. You will find John Behe to be very knowlegable and a true "Car Enthusiast". Be forewarned, if you have handheld tunes installed you will lose them as John will only tune your vehicle for the headers from stock position. Other than that, it is a nice clean shop with mechanics that love cars so you will not be disappointed in their work.

I am scheduled to have Jesse install the heat exchanger, 9.5" pulley and redo my handheld tunes at the end of the month.

BTW: The roads around Behe are perfect for road testing...:lildevil:
Wait a minute...wasn't I the one who recommended Behe to you??

Titaniumseeker
04-14-10, 03:49 PM
Wait a minute...wasn't I the one who recommended Behe to you??

No, it was Luke @ Lindsay when I ordered my Kooks Headers. He was kind enough to ship the headers there for me so I would not have to transport them there.

thebigjimsho
04-14-10, 08:40 PM
No, it was Luke @ Lindsay when I ordered my Kooks Headers. He was kind enough to ship the headers there for me so I would not have to transport them there.
Oh, OK. Someone in Maryland had been asking about a place to tune and mod the V and I sent him to Behe. You were there at the V meet they set up back in September, right?

I bought my headers from Luke and he sent them there, too...

Somefun
04-15-10, 05:51 AM
I have the W4ME 9 1/2" pulley and am very happy with it. I have a few more mods that give more power, but I wouldn't do it any different.
You will get a CEL with AR headers and the 02 sensors turned on as they should be. I haven't decided if I will go back to stock exhaust manifolds and modified piping with the stock mufflers or not.
I still need to work on the trans tune as mine is not right yet, but I believe you have the stick so you're good there.

What is your trans doing? I have the 9.5" with the CAI and the tune on mild but the auto trans is not working real good. If your on the high way or just cruising and hit it the trans down shifts hard and bangs right up to red line and doesn't shift till it's already been hitting the limiter for a little bit. Are you getting the same issues?

Titaniumseeker
04-15-10, 08:47 AM
Oh, OK. Someone in Maryland had been asking about a place to tune and mod the V and I sent him to Behe. You were there at the V meet they set up back in September, right?

I bought my headers from Luke and he sent them there, too...

Yes I was there. I do remember you talking about the problems you had with your V and the work that Behe performed to resolve those problem. So you got an 09 now? Do you still have the other V?

thebigjimsho
04-15-10, 06:50 PM
I still have the '04 but it's not getting fixed until I stop spending money on the '09...plus I'm house hunting right now and I'm keeping all my cash in hand...

Anywho, just placed an order with Lingenfelter for the harmonic balancer kit and 5% overdrive pulley. Also getting the intake modification kit and filter. I still am not sure I'll have the overdrive kit installed and may sell that instead. I still don't know if I want to jump the power that much when I'm not really used to the stock power yet...

thebigjimsho
04-15-10, 07:35 PM
BTW, has anyone who has done a pulley notice a decrease in mpg at all? And no, I don't mean because you can't stop laying down your right foot...

Prof
04-15-10, 08:19 PM
Road experience...better mpg...not that I care much...but the Lingenfelter tune makes more power and that comes from efficiency...efficiency yields more mpg...when in the touring mode...if you can ever force yourself to go there!

Dr. Design
04-15-10, 09:32 PM
Some of our higher HP vehicles have seen 18-23 mpg. These cars also made over 600WHP... When toying around with them, you can get the mpg down to 8 mpg!!!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

BTW, has anyone who has done a pulley notice a decrease in mpg at all? And no, I don't mean because you can't stop laying down your right foot...

cbloveday
04-15-10, 09:45 PM
When traveling @ 70 mph, I get instantaneous 25 MPG and my rpm is 2100.