: New V owner with questions

Madvillain
04-12-10, 10:39 AM
Morning all! New V owner here, just picked her up a couple weeks ago. '04 black on black with 41k. Basically BRAND new, was a weekend car for an older guy. Feel i got a steal on her at 17k.

Couple of questions as ive been browsing the forum for a couple weeks now. Looking to update the shifter. Seems to be the consensus here is to go with UUC. Is this a doable job yourself, or easier for a mechanic to complete?

Also, would love to get rid of the 1st to 4th CAGS issue. Any help?

Thanks a ton, looking forward to being a member here and a V owner for a long time.

Jeff

Houdini
04-12-10, 11:19 AM
Welcome Jeff and congrats on the new ride! Do some searching and you'll find your answers easy. Search on CAGS or search CAGS on ebay.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com is always the best starting point. Read everything on that site... a great resource!

I also suggest you check out PISNUOFF's thread on his custom short shifter. It's cheaper and a shorter throw. I'm definitely going to buy from him and plan on getting the bushings too.

Post up some pics of you V!

PISNUOFF
04-12-10, 12:52 PM
I say go with a modified shifter from PISNUOFF. But I'm a little biased. Do a search on this forum and see some of the reviews.

cvettr/cts-v
04-12-10, 01:03 PM
Welcome, the shifter is easy to do just takes an hour or so. instructions are on the faq but do not remove the console. it is not nessasary and a waste of time. Use a unibit and a punch to drill rivits on shifter out. That only took about 30 seconds each. do the bushings from Luke at Lindsay cadillac on whatever short shifter you go with. As you stated might as well do the cags if it is an issue for you while your under the car.

50 4Ever
04-12-10, 03:30 PM
... do the bushings from Luke at Lindsay cadillac on whatever short shifter you go with. ....

The bushings are very important to get rid of that spongy feeling. I had the local Cadillac dealer install the UUC and bushings, I'm not too mechanically inclined.

I bought my CAGS eliminator off eBay, easy to install. Had it installed when I had the exhaust changed to something I could hear..

:welcome:to the forum.

rand49er
04-12-10, 04:02 PM
:welcome:

And, "ditto" to what everybody else said.

garrettg
04-12-10, 06:27 PM
If your on a budget the PISNUOFF short shifter is a great option. I like mine especially when looking for 5th when the transmission R lock out is not working properly.