: CTS-V in Germany

AutobahnMonster
04-12-10, 06:08 AM
Been in germany now for a few months just had my V shipped from the states. I am trying to get in touch with americans in germany with Vs. I have located a few here on the forum but am unable to private message.

David

mberisha
04-12-10, 08:30 AM
Cool....I'll be moving outside of Ramstien in July...and my V should get there by mid to late August....

BTW....How's the driving? ;>

perfect
04-12-10, 10:28 AM
Cool....I'll be moving outside of Ramstien in July...and my V should get there by mid to late August....

BTW....How's the driving? ;>

Damn! Leaving KC so soon? We'll have to meet up before you go sometime soon...

mberisha
04-12-10, 11:29 AM
Perfect,

....yup....duty calls! ;>

Let's rally Saturday at the Plaza....and then I'll take you to this cool 5mi long twistie loop around Lake Jacomo in Blue Springs. I cruised it yesterday.....put about 200 miles on the damn V between the loops and the cruise back to Warrensburg!

Hit me up with a PM....or hit my cell up....

04 Attack Caddy
04-12-10, 12:25 PM
Been in germany now for a few months just had my V shipped from the states. I am trying to get in touch with americans in germany with Vs. I have located a few here on the forum but am unable to private message.

David

I am not there now, left in May 08, but I lived in Germany for about 3.5yrs and loved every minute of it. I had my V there also, so if you have any questions shoot me a message, or post here and I will reply. There are a couple things that you have to do while you are over there.

1. Nuremberg Ring (during the week is preferable)
2. Hockenheim Ring
3. Driving the Alps (any of them)

If you do not have winter tires, you will need them, tire rack ships to APO. Depending on where you will drive your V some countries require them and will not recognize "all seasons" if you were planning on that.

I had my V serviced while I was over there, so if you need some recommendations let me know. There is one place that you will want to stay away from.

DO NOT drive your V to Eastern Europe........ Fly or rent a car. Not only are the roads horrible, it will most likely get stolen since no one knows what these cars are over there.

Any questions let me know.

mberisha
04-12-10, 02:15 PM
I am not there now, left in May 08, but I lived in Germany for about 3.5yrs and loved every minute of it. I had my V there also, so if you have any questions shoot me a message, or post here and I will reply. There are a couple things that you have to do while you are over there.

1. Nuremberg Ring (during the week is preferable)
2. Hockenheim Ring
3. Driving the Alps (any of them)

If you do not have winter tires, you will need them, tire rack ships to APO. Depending on where you will drive your V some countries require them and will not recognize "all seasons" if you were planning on that.

I had my V serviced while I was over there, so if you need some recommendations let me know. There is one place that you will want to stay away from.

DO NOT drive your V to Eastern Europe........ Fly or rent a car. Not only are the roads horrible, it will most likely get stolen since no one knows what these cars are over there.

Any questions let me know.

Thanks for all the info....any restrictions on window tint %? Also....I don't have a front license plate mount....my buddy that was stationed over there said front license plates are MANDATORY in all European countries....is that still true?

I was told the drive from Germany to Avaino, Italy is bad-ass....would you recommend in a V (about 7 hours?).

Thanks again for all the info....can't wait to "legally" open up the LS2 on the Autobahn.....

AutobahnMonster
04-13-10, 09:04 AM
Yes I would like some recommended shops I living in Bamberg. How available are the parts from the cadillac dealers? I think I have a oil pan temp sensor issue and maybe something going on with the rear end. It is still under warranty do they honor the warranties out here?

thanks
dave

04 Attack Caddy
04-13-10, 02:37 PM
Dealers in Germany:
Getting warrenty work done in Germany can be really tricky. German dealers will only recognize the European portion of the warranty. This means they only recognize something like 2 or 3 yrs of the warranty. Warranties are a lot shorter in Europe in general, so they do not recognize the portion of the warranty that is longer than the European one. To get that work done you have to pay up front for the work and then submitt the reciept to your dealer in the US, who verifies that it is warranty work and then reimburses you. I had to do it a couple times, and you may have to lay out a lot of cash up front. Just make sure you are aware of the labor rates of where you are getting your car worked on. I think the rate was about 100 Euro an hour, so when they changed my radiator it was about $2500 and was luckily coverd by warranty. I have had good experiences at Kroymans in Heidelberg and there was a good dealer in Bamberg, I had the airbag TSB done there since I was down the street in Schweinfurt, but I dont remember the name of it.. Probably the only GM dealer in town. There was a dealer in Darmstadt that did some work on my car and they are a complete rip off and tried to cheat me. Depending on what happend with dealers in Europe with the GM bankrupcy may affect all the statements that I previously made.

Window tint is controled in Europe, and is supposed to be "stock only" but my friend had an S4 that was tinted, and all he did was roll down all of his windows when he was getting inspected, and they didnt know the difference, but be prepared that they might say something about it.

Front liscense plates are absolutely required, and some of the bases will not let you drive on, or will hold you for the MP's to come and give you a ticket. It sucks and you can get away with it for a little while, but they will get you. They do it because the speed cameras use your front plate to mail you your tickets, no front plate+no ticket = PO'ed Polezi which translates to very bad for you if you eventually get caught.

Side note: Do not give the Polezi any reason to be angry with you. I have seen many people get beaten sensless and they don't care what nationality you are.

Parts for the Caddy are really expensive in Europe and I would always order the parts for myself from GMPartsDirect and have them shipped over. Check on GMPD's shipping rules since I remember them being kind of funky. I usually did a lot of my mechanical maintenance myself at the auto hobby shop.

The V on the Auto Bahn:
I loved driving the V on the auto bahn, but I did notice that I would get more fatigued driving there since it is so much more intense. You may want to try to take breaks at least every 4hrs especially if you are going to maintain 100-120mph while crusing. Usually though, you are almost out of the country anyway and will have to slow down in other countries. WATCH OUT FOR SPEED CAMERAS!!!! They do have them on the auto bahn where there are speed zones and they will get you. I got nailed for 400 Euro for 185kph in a 120kph... Luckily I took care of it on the DL and didnt loose my liscense.

If you are going to drive in the alps in the winter, you are required to have winter tires and tire chains or cables. I did have cables for my car that I got at car quest before I went to Europe.

My email is ryanelowski@gmail.com if you want to ask any other info, but I will still be checking this.

mberisha
04-13-10, 03:16 PM
AttackCaddy,

Thanks for all the info.....I kinda figured I would get screwed on any warranty work over there....mine's still covered till the summer of 2012....so I can see some expensive headaches in my future.

Also...I was going to buy the NAV disc for Europe...but my buddy that just got back from Germany said to get a Tom Tom instead since it's easier to update the maps and the Tom Tom's have ALL the Speed Cameras pre-programmed in them. I was just about to pull the trigger on a radar detector...but he said NO GO over there! Would you recommend the same?

Thanks again for the info....!

-Met

04 Attack Caddy
04-13-10, 10:10 PM
AttackCaddy,

Thanks for all the info.....I kinda figured I would get screwed on any warranty work over there....mine's still covered till the summer of 2012....so I can see some expensive headaches in my future.

Also...I was going to buy the NAV disc for Europe...but my buddy that just got back from Germany said to get a Tom Tom instead since it's easier to update the maps and the Tom Tom's have ALL the Speed Cameras pre-programmed in them. I was just about to pull the trigger on a radar detector...but he said NO GO over there! Would you recommend the same?

Thanks again for the info....!

-Met

I agree with both of these points. I got a Navigon, but the Tom Tom is good too. These two devices work well in Europe and back here in the US, and I think you can pick them up at the PX/BX with both maps. I didn't know that the Tom Tom's had the speed camera, that is fantastic! Don't forget though, they have mobile cameras that they move around. This makes it much easier.

Radar detector's are technically illegal, but there are people that have them over there. The same guy that I talked about with the S4, also had one of the hidden radar detectors. I don't know what the rules are if you get caught, and he never did, so I guess it is how close to the line you want to play it.

Have fun, keep the questions coming if you got'em.

Ryan

AutobahnMonster
04-15-10, 05:32 AM
As far as I know there is no GM dealer in bamberg. The nearest one I could locate on the cadillac website was in Ebern about 30 minutes from bamberg.

04 Attack Caddy
04-16-10, 01:12 PM
As far as I know there is no GM dealer in bamberg. The nearest one I could locate on the cadillac website was in Ebern about 30 minutes from bamberg.

Gonna have to appologize for that one. The dealer I went to was a dealer in Wurzburg. I just looked it up. It appears as you are correct for the dealer that is in your area. I do not have any experience with them since the other dealers were closer to where I was. Sorry about that....

mostoyzwinz
04-22-10, 09:55 PM
Damn, I just get back stateside after being in Schweinfurt for all of 2009, then see you're in my back yard. Enjoy.

mberisha
10-17-10, 03:18 PM
How did ya'll mount your front license plate....and did you go with the normal plate or the long European plate?

I was thinking about going with the long European plate and using body panel push pins to affix the plate to the lower grill...any thoughts?

KTompk1009
10-18-10, 12:42 AM
I was there for 3 years with mine.. I was in Stuttgart. I have retired back in Colorado Springs. Go to http://www.cadillaceurope.com/en/index.php#/contact and you can search and find an authorized warranty repair facility. Good luck..

branland
10-18-10, 11:00 AM
The V on the Auto Bahn:
I loved driving the V on the auto bahn, but I did notice that I would get more fatigued driving there since it is so much more intense. You may want to try to take breaks at least every 4hrs especially if you are going to maintain 100-120mph while crusing. Usually though, you are almost out of the country anyway and will have to slow down in other countries. WATCH OUT FOR SPEED CAMERAS!!!! They do have them on the auto bahn where there are speed zones and they will get you. I got nailed for 400 Euro for 185kph in a 120kph... Luckily I took care of it on the DL and didnt loose my liscense.

If you are going to drive in the alps in the winter, you are required to have winter tires and tire chains or cables. I did have cables for my car that I got at car quest before I went to Europe.

Seems there are a lot of us on the forum who have driven on the Autobahn. There are a couple of threads floating around out there that you've probably read. One more thing I would mention about driving at speed for long periods of time is to make sure you’re not clenching the steering wheel. Every now and then take one of your hands of the wheel and pump your hand. (Flex your fingers)

Also spend some time adjusting your mirrors (they should have very little overlap) and seat, so you are relaxed when you’re driving. The Autobahn flows real well and it will keep you attention. Look ahead and behind, if your mirrors are adjusted correctly, you should be able feel someone closing on you. Try to develop a rhythm when you’re driving, enjoy, be safe.