: P0343 Cam Position Sensor Code....Ideas?

SkullV
04-11-10, 09:02 PM
So I get get home today after a long day of very spirited driving and park my car. When I get in to leave again I have a P0343 code which is for the Cam Position Sensor High Input. Now I have read that this could be one of 3 things. Either the wiring harness is cut/frayed, the sensor has gone bad, or the cam bolts have come loose and the cam has walked.

I don't THINK it is the cam bolts because there is no lifter tick or unusual noise, and short of the INTERMITTENT hard start (related to P0343) there is nothing wrong with the way the car runs.

Does anyone (Darkman) have the GM PDF file for this code and how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks.

darkman
04-11-10, 09:24 PM
Sorry it took so long, I got distracted watching drag racing on TV.

SkullV
04-11-10, 09:29 PM
Do you by chance have it any larger? It is TINY and gets blurry when I enlarge it.

darkman
04-11-10, 09:42 PM
Do you by chance have it any larger? It is TINY and gets blurry when I enlarge it.

Try it now. I substituted a new file.

SkullV
04-11-10, 09:47 PM
Worked great! Thanks sir. Now I just have to PRAY that it's electrical or sensor failure and not the cam walking.

SkullV
04-11-10, 10:10 PM
Do you by chance have the location diagram and the procedure for remove and replace?

darkman
04-11-10, 10:24 PM
Attached

SkullV
04-11-10, 10:27 PM
Dammit...I thought the intake had to come off...but this confirms it

darkman
04-11-10, 10:41 PM
If you do all this work you might as well have a new cam and ARP cam bolts on hand.

SkullV
04-11-10, 10:44 PM
Yeah...I'm thinking this issue may just be fixed by a cam install. I'm going to see if there is metal in the oil, if not I think a cam install is in my immediate future.

darkman
04-11-10, 10:50 PM
P0343 = Diagnostic Trouble Code indicating camshaft has inadequate duration, anemic lift specification, or both.

SkullV
04-11-10, 10:56 PM
Yeah...meaning the cam bolts probably came loose, letting the cam walk, and letting the lifters sit in the grooves between the lobes. The part I don't get is that there is NO lifter tick, and the car seems to run GREAT short of a rough idle that I have been having for weeks now with no codes. I also got 2 other weird codes today...Theft Deterrent fuel something or other and 02 bank 2 switching too slow. Those were cleared and never came back but the cam position code did. Maybe its a PCM problem? I guess if there is no metal in the oil then the cam probably did not walk.

TexVette
04-12-10, 11:33 AM
Do you have headers? Seen headers burn the wire that goes the the cam position sensor and cause a no-start issue on a different ls car. Also seen that wireset get pinched between the bellhousing and motor causing similar issue as well. Have you thought about timing chain issues?

No it wasn't me that pinched the wires.:hide:

SkullV
04-12-10, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know where that wiring would be coming from? I'm going to drain the oil today and see if there is metal in it, if not I'll track down wiring, if so the car needs to go in. I can't believe the cam would have walked or I would have a timing chain issue at 35k miles.

lollygagger8
04-12-10, 12:51 PM
EDIT....Note to self: Dont let Ted tune my car Lol

I would bet its just the sensor since its not making any different noises.

SkullV
04-12-10, 12:54 PM
I would bet its just the sensor since its not making any different noises.

That's what I'm hoping. It's going in on Thursday.

nmaier2201
04-12-10, 03:16 PM
EDIT....Note to self: Dont let Ted tune my car Lol

awww hey now... not nice to kick a guy while he's down!

Good Luck Ted. I had this on another car and the wires had melted together... so really.. that means nothing... but with your headers I'd look around (In fact I bet you did already)

Maybe you'll get to forge your car sooner than you thought!

lollygagger8
04-12-10, 03:50 PM
I had to edit it at his request so i had to bust his balls a lil.

Heres hoping its something minor Ted..
Is that better?

maxspeed96ct
04-12-10, 04:32 PM
skull your still running the stock cam and etc correct?

I highly doubt the cam bolts came loose, check wiring and etc like mentioned above . Also a bad batch of gas could cause issues and funky codes.

SkullV
04-12-10, 04:34 PM
skull your still running the stock cam and etc correct?

I highly doubt the cam bolts came loose, check wiring and etc like mentioned above . Also a bad batch of gas could cause issues and funky codes.

Hmmm...I did get gas RIGHT before the code started. Still stock cam and everything else internal. I actually haven't even started looking into it yet and wont get to it until tomorrow. Going to drain the oil first and look for metal...but I still have perfect oil pressure, no weird noises, etc. Hopefully just wires/sensor. Not sure how gas could cause that code, but who knows!

Wads56
04-12-10, 05:21 PM
Same exact thing happend to me. After hours of testing I finally accepted that my stock cam came loose. The car made no noise or anything. The only abnormal thing was every now and then the car would miss allitle bit at idle. The lifters can't slide off the lobe all the way because it will get hung up on the lobe next to it.

SkullV
04-12-10, 05:55 PM
Same exact thing happend to me. After hours of testing I finally accepted that my stock cam came loose. The car made no noise or anything. The only abnormal thing was every now and then the car would miss allitle bit at idle. The lifters can't slide off the lobe all the way because it will get hung up on the lobe next to it.

Shit...yeah..I have the same problem at idle...very intermittent rough idle...well if GM won't deal with it I guess it's heads/cam time.....were your lifters trashed too or just the cam?

Wads56
04-12-10, 06:17 PM
Only a slight wear mark on the sides of the lifters. I just replaced the bolts with some ARP's and put it back together. I cant stress enough on how important it is to upgrade to ARP hardware. Every bolt i take off the engine gets replaced with ARP.

SkullV
04-12-10, 08:16 PM
Only a slight wear mark on the sides of the lifters. I just replaced the bolts with some ARP's and put it back together. I cant stress enough on how important it is to upgrade to ARP hardware. Every bolt i take off the engine gets replaced with ARP.

Well that gives me hope. I guess I'll wait and see what happens Thursday.

TexVette
04-13-10, 12:52 PM
I'm just not seeing signs of a "walking cam" so I'd rest easy on that one. Not saying that's not what it is, just that I feel like you 'd have a LOT of other issues helping to point at that, and that I've never seen a stock untouched cam walk on anyone so I think you can rest easy. Of course check the oil because that's easy and quick. If you've been in the upper rpms while this issue was present and you didn't have catastrophic failure then I don't think the cam is walking, or if it is, not much. There's not a lot of clearance there either...I'd assume you'd hear a lot of noise if anything was backing out.

The wires on the F-bodies run on the driver side near the valve cover back over the bellhousing towards the ECM. Not sure where they are on the CTSV, but it couldn't hurt you to really poke around in there to see if you've got any wire-to-header contact.

A quick solution to try would be to seafoam the car if you have not done so already. I've cleaned up two mysterious issues in the last 2 weeks with seafoam that shops couldn't identify.

How many miles on the car?

SkullV
04-13-10, 01:07 PM
35k miles...I think the wires melting are very possible...had some weird smells a week ago but no problems presented themselves until Sunday.

SkullV
04-17-10, 12:40 PM
Thanks for everyone's ideas here. It did end up being the cam bolts backing out and the cam walking back into the reluctor wheel. The dealership is repairing everything under warranty and I should be back on the road (and out of this Chevy Aveo) by Tuesday.

SFBayV
04-18-10, 01:54 AM
Glad to hear that it got resolved. And it's great that it's still under warranty.

Mine is doing its thing intermittently though. And like a couple of synchronized Swiss watches, the auto door locks stop functioning. I've listened for any noises from under the hood for any stumbling or rough idling. Nothing. If there was a rough idle or stumble, I'd here it though the loud-ass B&B exhaust. Just the LS6 lope.

A while back the dealership did a warranty repair for the rear main, and when they put the trans and bell housing back in, they pinched some wires up against the block which caused the trans temp gauge to read 300+ degrees if I recall. Whatever they did to repair that mistake could be where I should start looking. We'll see.

TexVette
04-19-10, 05:31 PM
Glad you got it diagnosed and even better that it's getting fixed. First cam bolts I've heard of walking out.

ewill3rd
04-19-10, 09:25 PM
The cam bolts come loose and the cam walks back far enough that the sensor cannot see the reluctor wheel machined into the camshaft.
The lifters still have enough contact on the lobes of the camshaft to operate without making noise.

I have only seen one in person, this is the second one I know of but I have heard that these are starting to show up as a possible issue on the V.
The one I saw was supercharged.

nmaier2201
04-20-10, 05:37 PM
So what all are they replacing Ted? You going to throw any goodies in there? .... I mean.... as long as they got it opened up...... you might as well.

Glad it's getting fixed and will not cost you any money.

SkullV
04-20-10, 06:20 PM
No goodies...all fixed under warranty, got her back today and I have a 100 mile drive ahead of me, so if everything is good (they did not replace the lifters but said that they were fine) the nitrous kit will go back on tomorrow.

New:

Cam Bolts
Cam Sprocket
Timing Cover Gasket
Intake Gaskets
Cam Position Sensor
Fresh Mobil 1 Oil Change w/AC Delco Filter
Full Cooling System Flush (I wish I would have had them toss in that 160 t-stat when the radiator was empty)
1 Tube of Threadlocker

nmaier2201
04-21-10, 03:38 PM
I'm suprised they left the CAM and the lifters.... I'd put a 300 shot on there and bring it back when it shatters... and say "what did you guys do?" :)

darkman
04-21-10, 08:07 PM
Glad to hear that it got resolved. And it's great that it's still under warranty.

Mine is doing its thing intermittently though. And like a couple of synchronized Swiss watches, the auto door locks stop functioning. I've listened for any noises from under the hood for any stumbling or rough idling. Nothing. If there was a rough idle or stumble, I'd here it though the loud-ass B&B exhaust. Just the LS6 lope.

A while back the dealership did a warranty repair for the rear main, and when they put the trans and bell housing back in, they pinched some wires up against the block which caused the trans temp gauge to read 300+ degrees if I recall. Whatever they did to repair that mistake could be where I should start looking. We'll see.

Attached

SFBayV
04-21-10, 08:10 PM
Attached

Thanks a lot Michael. This is much appreciated.

Cory

odla
09-10-13, 10:28 AM
Bring back an old thread. I just got this code. I don't see any of the attachments up anymore. Could someone help me with a procedure on how to change the sensor. I hope it's just the sensor. Anyone know how much the sensor is?

Thanks for any help.

odla
09-10-13, 03:49 PM
Anyone know where the sensor is located?

Thanks

odla
09-19-13, 10:47 PM
Ok i just wanted to update this for anyone else that may have this problem. I got this code too. I ended up changing the sensor with a new ac delco. Drove it for a day and it came back the day after i drove it. Said screw it dealer time. So far this dealer has been great. They put a tech 2 on it and said nothing shows up as wrong. Reset the cel and said come pick it up. Well the next day my wife drives it to work and on her way back cel comes up. Same code. Take it back and they call me next day. Said that they had to call Cadillac and get help. Cadillac says to dealer that a few cars have had a problem with the cam shaft retaining bolts backing out. Dealer calls me and say $800 just to find out if that is whats wrong on my car. I say that go for it but if it isn't that they will need to cut me some kind of break on cost. He said we can talk. I also said that when they get the cover off not to touch it as i want to see it and take a picture. Few hours later i'm looking at three bolts that backed out far enough to rub on the inside part of the cover. So far total to get it fixed will be about $1300. I called Cadillac customer service and complained that a car with less than 100k should not have this problem. Told them that even the tech said he has never seen this. Also told them that Cadillac even told the dealer that they have only seen a few cases of this. The Cadillac rep said that a rep in the area will be contacting me soon about this. We will see what happens.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-19-13, 11:38 PM
Ok i just wanted to update this for anyone else that may have this problem. I got this code too. I ended up changing the sensor with a new ac delco. Drove it for a day and it came back the day after i drove it. Said screw it dealer time. So far this dealer has been great. They put a tech 2 on it and said nothing shows up as wrong. Reset the cel and said come pick it up. Well the next day my wife drives it to work and on her way back cel comes up. Same code. Take it back and they call me next day. Said that they had to call Cadillac and get help. Cadillac says to dealer that a few cars have had a problem with the cam shaft retaining bolts backing out. Dealer calls me and say $800 just to find out if that is whats wrong on my car. I say that go for it but if it isn't that they will need to cut me some kind of break on cost. He said we can talk. I also said that when they get the cover off not to touch it as i want to see it and take a picture. Few hours later i'm looking at three bolts that backed out far enough to rub on the inside part of the cover. So far total to get it fixed will be about $1300. I called Cadillac customer service and complained that a car with less than 100k should not have this problem. Told them that even the tech said he has never seen this. Also told them that Cadillac even told the dealer that they have only seen a few cases of this. The Cadillac rep said that a rep in the area will be contacting me soon about this. We will see what happens.
Hello odla,

I apologize that you are experiencing this issue. I do see that you have reached out to our Customer Care team and currently have a case that is open. Please continue to keep us updated and if you need any assistance contacting your rep at any time, don’t hesitate to reach out to us via private message with your case number and we can notify your agent. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

robojesus
09-20-13, 08:59 AM
I saw this happen to a Z28, wiped out a few cam lobes on the sides, and destroyed a few lifters.

1BadCadSTS
09-20-13, 09:07 AM
Happened after my cam install on my 98 ss. Locktight on the bolts fixed it.

odla
09-20-13, 01:12 PM
Was it a new z28? Stock?

odla
09-20-13, 08:10 PM
Update:

Gm just lost a future for sure will buy GM product customer. Admitted that it should not have happened. Admitted that the car did not meet their standards and still said nope to any help. Offered a discount on a new car is all they would do. I said i shouldn't need a new car when i have a car with less than 100k on it. That's the short version. It is what it is.