: Ipod and the sts-v

Big_Caddy
04-11-10, 05:37 PM
Just bought an 07 black on black sts-v with 19k miles. The bose sound system is solid but there is no ipod adapter...

Is everyone using Itrips?

Also, what kind of mod's have people done to their sound systems?
(pictures pls)

thanks

Red Snake
04-11-10, 11:17 PM
Just bought an 07 black on black sts-v with 19k miles. The bose sound system is solid but there is no ipod adapter...

Is everyone using Itrips?

Also, what kind of mod's have people done to their sound systems?
(pictures pls)

thanks

On my 08 there is 3 wire AV hook up in the center console. I use that for my IPOD. Sounds much better than XM. You just have to use the Aux/Video button to listen to the IPOD.

cad08stsv
04-12-10, 12:29 AM
Hey Big Caddy,
Fpr model years 07 & 08 There is a device called a UPac STS, I have it in my 08 V and it works like a charm. Here is my post for my car,
"I got the uPac-STS installed and it works a little strange at first, perhaps it needs to learn or some other factor. After a while it started to work find. The installer used a windows iTunes to load his iPod and then when I tried to use mine it did not recognize it (I used a Mac iTunes to load my iPod. There could possible be an issue there. I went to uPac's web site and they have a firmware update, they only use windows XP or Vista. So I have to find a windows laptop and USB memory stick to load the update. It would be nice if they would offer tne update loaded on a memory stick and sell that. That would work for me. I would suggest you do it before you install the device as now I have to remove it in order to update. It updates the HD Radio software also.. This may also my be the reason the installers iPod worked better that my Mac iPod. You live and you learn." This is what I did. I'm sure others have done it differently and had a level of sucuss in there installs, so look at what others have done and judge for yourself. Good luck with your project.
Russell

Big_Caddy
04-12-10, 05:29 AM
Rather than changing the whole interface, I will just buy the A/V Ipod
adapter and run it through the center console.

cheers :)

rodehard
04-12-10, 04:00 PM
What Big Caddy said. I have a 2006 and got a cable off ebay which has the three RCA type male plugs and a USB. I can hook the three plugs into the console and put a cigarette lighter adapter on the USB end. With this combination you can play your Iphone and charge your Iphone battery at the same time. You will not get calls over the Nav system though. You must unplug the RCA plugs to bluetooth the Nav system.

Berger 93
04-13-10, 11:03 AM
They were even smart enough to put small notches in the center console, under the lid for the cable(s) to run . . . :) I too use the AV jacks.

This is great to use of you need to power your I-Pod at the same time.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

Big_Caddy
04-13-10, 03:33 PM
They were even smart enough to put small notches in the center console, under the lid for the cable(s) to run . . . :) I too use the AV jacks.

This is great to use of you need to power your I-Pod at the same time.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

I wasn't sure if that was just an unfinished slot for coins or to run cables...

If you're sing the griffin auto pilot, you must of found an adapter that runs through a headphone jack(sts-v 09).
I was thinking the optimal setup was with one of these (http://www.ipodtouchmic.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Composite-Av-Cable.jpg) and (http://stuntcams.com/shop/images/usb-car-charger.jpg) This way you can run your iphone/ipod through the console with music and mp4 capabilities, and charge it using the usb/car charger.

fast_lane10
04-13-10, 10:28 PM
Big Caddy ..congrats on your new toy ...did you buy the it from Rodgers cadillac in TN, it had about the same miles and was priced right .. i was eying it too but it was too far for me to go and check it out and more over once i saw black with black/tango interior i liked it better ..

Big_Caddy
04-15-10, 04:55 AM
Anyone get a mp4 to work on the nav screen???

cad08stsv
04-15-10, 06:36 AM
Good Morning Big Daddy,
That would depend if you use an iPod or not. It is also depending on the advance seting on the iPod, (how you import the information and how you plan to play it pack. My wife has a swim Pod and it only will play back MP4 sudio.
So when we import the song we inport it as an MP4 audio file. through itunes, (windows or Mac). I also beleive you can convert the format within itunes before you export it to what ever device of your choose. See advance setting on the ipod for converision import/export. There is an option of calling apple 800 MY APPLE and go through the promps and ask for iPod tech support,.and then agent. It is very imformation to be ready with the serial number of the iPod, They will ask for it, If you don't have it they will not assist you. . I have been using Macs for many years
and they are a stickler for imromation to see if the iPod is stolen. The only other thing you can do is go to an apple store and go to the Genius bar and ask them. They may want to charge you if the iPod is out of warrenty. In any case they will tell you how to go about setting your peramators. Hope this helps
Russell

cad08stsv
04-15-10, 07:25 AM
Good Morning Big Daddy,
That would depend if you use an iPod or not. It is also depending on the advance seting on the iPod, (how you import the information and how you plan to play it pack. My wife has a swim Pod and it only will play back MP4 sudio.
So when we import the song we inport it as an MP4 audio file. through itunes, (windows or Mac). I also beleive you can convert the format within itunes before you export it to what ever device of your choose. See advance setting on the ipod for converision import/export. There is an option of calling apple 800 MY APPLE and go through the promps and ask for iPod tech support,.and then agent. It is very imformation to be ready with the serial number of the iPod, They will ask for it, If you don't have it they will not assist you. . I have been using Macs for many years
and they are a stickler for imromation to see if the iPod is stolen. The only other thing you can do is go to an apple store and go to the Genius bar and ask them. They may want to charge you if the iPod is out of warrenty. In any case they will tell you how to go about setting your peramators. Hope this helps
Russell

Big_Caddy
04-15-10, 02:45 PM
Good Morning Big Daddy,
Russell

I am using the new ipod nano with itunes on a vista platform... Just to clarify, I can play music files(mp3) but I am curious to see if videos(mp4) from an ipod have been played on the nav screen. I am using this setup http://www.ipodtouchmic.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Composite-Av-Cable.jpg

thanks.

Cataract
04-15-10, 03:09 PM
Hmmm. Mine works for video when I am parked, and I'm pretty sure all video on ipods has to be mp4. You have to select TV Out(or something similarly sounding) on your ipod when you play a video. Under settings you can make your ipod ask if you want TV Out or not every time you play a video..

Big_Caddy
04-15-10, 03:31 PM
thanks cataract...

NEXT QUESTION: has anyone bypassed the only watch videos in park feature ?
I've looked around online and it seems like a lot of work.

Cataract
04-15-10, 04:47 PM
http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

This seems to be the best deal around. I recently bought one, but had unique problems.. I'm in the process of exchanging it for a different unit. Install is super easy.

Personally, for $200 I don't know how much I'll really be using it.. but its a cool feature for our big screen i guess.

cad08stsv
04-15-10, 05:18 PM
Good afternoon Cataract,
You are 100% correct when parked. My thoughts were when you are moving. I know there is a over ride switch for video but it is an outboard switch not internally in the iPod. Thank you for clearinng this up. I would have never
thought to even think of watching video except Navagation while moving.
Russel

Big_Caddy
04-15-10, 11:46 PM
I have read a lot about grounding wires, typing in codes, riding around with your parking break barely on etc.

Anyone have a quick fix? other than spending 100's of $$$

Big_Caddy
04-18-10, 05:22 AM
Hmmm. Mine works for video when I am parked, and I'm pretty sure all video on ipods has to be mp4. You have to select TV Out(or something similarly sounding) on your ipod when you play a video. Under settings you can make your ipod ask if you want TV Out or not every time you play a video..

So when I attempt to play an mp4 video file, the Ipod doesn't seem to recognize the source. It says something like ipod ready for tv out and is waiting for me to connect something else... 'i am using this ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13506&type=page&skuId=9225812&productId=1218062423304&defurl=false&h=387 ) with an ipod nano. I have been reading that ipods send video over the headphone jack, Have I purchased the wrong adapter or am I too stoned :suspect:

Big_Caddy
04-18-10, 10:46 PM
Nevermind, i exchanged the cable and it worked first try.

Back to the bypassing issue.

Cheers

Big_Caddy
04-19-10, 05:39 PM
How do you go full screen while watching movies? aka how do you get rid of the video/bluetooth/onstar buttons while watching a DVD/MP4...

cheers
Caddy

Cataract
04-19-10, 05:46 PM
I believe you just tap the screen and the menu bar will go away..

Cataract
04-19-10, 06:12 PM
http://www.goodiyz.com/

Just saw this daily deal on dealsucker.. $5 for the Ipod cord!

timinfla2
05-01-10, 10:53 PM
I tried this setup today with a 3.5mm headphone jack to A/V RCA Jacks (Red and White). When I hit AUX the message 'No DVD' comes up.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,
Tim

timinfla2
05-02-10, 10:50 AM
I tried this setup today with a 3.5mm headphone jack to A/V RCA Jacks (Red and White). When I hit AUX the message 'No DVD' comes up.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,
Tim

In previously-owned vehicles, I'd just plug it in, hit play on the ipod and switch to AUX and the sound came out - not quite sure what's going on here.

tomm
07-14-10, 03:16 PM
How do you go full screen while watching movies? aka how do you get rid of the video/bluetooth/onstar buttons while watching a DVD/MP4...

cheers
Caddy

There is no way around this unless you purchase one of the STS Lockpicks. We have the best price on them and if you have an 05-06 we have the only unit that works.

STS Navigation has lots of security in place to prevent you from viewing the video on the screen while in motion. First it checks the GMLAN bus for the signal showing that you are in park, It also checks the vehicles speed sensor (VSS) wire to make sure your not moving and lastly if both fail the unit checks the GPS Signal to see if you are moving over 8 MPH.

There is NO cutting a wire or making a simple modification that will allow the video to play while in motion. Your only solution is the STS Lockpick which we sell for $199.95

Tinmanx
07-15-10, 09:16 AM
I recently drove a 2010 Escalade. I noticed that the stereo looks physically the same size as the one in the STS, and provides iPod/iPhone integration. Is this merely a firmware upgrade? Are the units the same except for software? Has anybody looked at this? Can I buy an Escalade stereo and install it in my STS?