: I am about to buy a V on Tuesday, I want feedback please.

R4a2m0o
04-10-10, 11:02 PM
I always like the concept of the V. Originally I wanted an E39 M5 but that thing needs a pit crew and a deep pocket to own and maintain. I was about to get a really clean E39 540i but at the last minute this CTS-v came across my path. I met the guy today and made a deal. It's a 2004 CTS-v black on black. The car has 51k miles and has been serviced by the dealer until the warranty ran out recently. The guy doesn't really know about cars, nor is he really a great driver unfortunately (curb rash), but I think he was a crappy driver to the point that he didn't really push the car often. This was a Fri, Sat, Sun car for him which is why the mileage is so low.

The cars interior is in great shape except for the cheap gm buttons wearing off. Does anybody make decent aftermarket replacements? I didn't see the heated seat controls, was that an option or was that standard? Are there any options on the 2004-2005 v's?

The exterior of the car is decent with a few blemishes. The front corner has a scuff on the front bumper, I think I can get rid of it. There are a few small dings on the quarter panels but nothing major. There are 2 of what look like key marks on the driver's side door. They are about 6-12" long and one of them extends on to the door handle. I think all of the wheels have some kind of minor curb rash on them but nothing on the wheel face. The paint otherwise looks very nice. Driving down the road you can't see any of those things and it looks awesome. The key marks and scuffs I would fix.

The car runs strong although the idle felt a little rougher than I remember ls1/ls6 motors. It's probably just regular maintenance (plugs wires filters maf cleaning etc) which I do to any car I buy whether the previous owner did it or not. Cruise was smooth, freeway pulled straight and smooth, brakes felt really good, power was there all the way to redline at WOT. No weird noises, car drove very well. By the way, I can't believe how disgusting the flywheel and shifter on this car is by the way. Those are two things I would change ASAP. The diff made a drone sound at low speed but went away above maybe 30 mph or so but other than that I didn't hear anything from the diff. My friend with an 04 experiences the same thing and said it's normal, but if it whined all the time you are in imminent danger.

All that said, I'm going to get the car for 17k. I tried to get him to 16k.5k but he said the dealer offered him that much. What do you guys think about that? Carfax checks out. Only thing wrong with the car really are the blemishes on the exterior.

Do you think any big ticket items will need to be replaced soon? Brake pads, clutch, fluids in the driveline? I don't know what the brake interval is but he said he can't remember if the pads are stock or not. I"m assuming the brake job on this car isn't cheap.

I sold my LS430 Lexus to get something more fun. I used to work on Fbodies and Y bodies so I know the LSx motor like the back of my hand which is one of the things attracting me to the V. Do you Will this thing turn into a piece of crap in 4 or 5 years or will it still have a decent aura around it. 17k for a car is still a decent amount and I don't want to end up with a car thats only worth a few thousand like a ls1 z28 or something.

RADARB8
04-11-10, 01:00 AM
go to CARS.COM and it will give u all the info of every option and all the standards for the 2004V..good luck

ELES6CTS
04-11-10, 03:09 AM
Not sure whether the seat heaters were standard or not on the V's. But the price seems reasonable.

rand49er
04-11-10, 06:50 AM
Only options were sunroof and FG2 shocks. Seat heaters were standard.

I've got 49k miles on my car, and the brakes are just fine. I did replace pads at around 15k (fronts) and 40k (rears) but only to reduce dust on the wheels. At 51k, I wouldn't figure you need brakes, certainly not rotors which is where the expense comes in. Depends on how car was run, though. BTW, pads are cheap, and it takes 30 minutes to do the whole car from getting the jacks out to putting them away.

NAV buttons can be replaced. Get 'em from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac along with a set of UUC bushings for the shifter. Then, contact PISNUOFF about having your OEM shifter modified. Lastly, check your diff bushing and get a UUC diff bushing (also from Luke) if yours is causing drivetrain clunk.

Good luck.

POS VETT
04-11-10, 06:52 AM
I picked my '05 up a month ago for $1.5k more than that with 41k miles. Your deal doesn't seem bad.

Baltimore07V
04-11-10, 11:30 AM
That price for the V in good mechanical condition seems to be a good deal. 04-05's are going for 16-22k depending on condition and whether or not its a private party or dealership.

As for the car, you hit all the basic's except possibly an axle kit to get rid of a lot of the wheel hop. I know I did the mod to my 07, and I would get it again in a heartbeat.

One thing I will say is if you replace the clutch get a remote bleeder installed at that time. It will save you a ton of time and effort later. Good kits on the clutch that are tried and true are monster and LS7 from Luke. So far there are good reviews on the new twin disks, but not a lot of miles on those quite yet.

As for heated seats. I thought those were standard on the '04. The button for them is on the A/C controls, top left for driver seat, top right for passenger.

R4a2m0o
04-11-10, 01:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The only thing about this car that's killing me is the curb rash. Yes, there is nothing on the face, but there is some on the lip and I take extra care not to rash my wheels. How can you do that :banghead: There is a shop called wheels techniques that fixes that stuff but I think it's expensive.

I already caught the bug and I don't even have the car yet:
-Costar bluetooth
-Ipod integration
-Hendrix axle
-shifter and bushings
-CAGS delete
-New nav buttons (I will spray them)

I had an idea about the NAV buttons... spray them with good paint, ablate the labels out on a laser cutter, then clear them. Hmmm... moneymaker?

Vet+BB=V
04-11-10, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a good deal! I got my 05 with 43k on it in really clean condition for 21. Which shifter are you goig with! I would suggest the custom shifter by PSNUOFF here on the forum. I have it and love it! Good luck with your new car the V is awesome and you are right about avoiding the M5, they are not cheap to maintain or upgrade.

verywhitedevil
04-11-10, 04:29 PM
i spent as much just maintaining my e39 as I have upgrading my V.

2007cts-v
04-11-10, 05:56 PM
I picked up my 07 V with 27000 miles for $29K. Bought it at th end of June 2009, only put 5000 miles on it since then. I had the upper intermediate steering shaft replaced about a month or so ago for a front end noise (fully covered under warranty). The V is off to the Dealer again on Tuesday for another noise in the front end. Sounds like its going to fall apart when I hit some small bumps. I never hit potholes.

R4a2m0o
04-11-10, 06:22 PM
i spent as much just maintaining my e39 as I have upgrading my V.

:histeric: The E39 M5 is an AWESOME car. The sound of it with full exhaust is incredible and I will have to admit that the interior and body styling destroys the CTS-V. I think the E39 is one of the best looking cars ever. However, I will sacrifice a wee bit of awesomeness for better reliability, ownership costs, etc. etc. and especially not to not pay Dinan 8k for headers :nono: I just can't do it captain when I can turbocharge an LSx for the same price.

I actually found a guy in San Diego that wanted to sell me an Le Mans blue E39 M5 that was fully Dinan decked out except for the supercharger. Gears, clutch, velocity stacks and butterflies... it had everything. 25k. But at the end of the day, that car needs a good 3-4k a year just in maintenance and repair if you are lucky. Vanos goes out, 3-4k dealership job per side. When will they learn that variable valve timing is not a replacement for displacement... nothing is a replacement for displacement.

I have driven exactly 2 cts-v's and both of them rode surprisingly well with very little squeaks rattles or other misc noises. I was impressed. I drove 5 E39 M5's and 2 or 3 of them squeaked and rattled like crazy. It sounded like there was a gremlin playing a violin with leather strings in the back seat. The other 2 felt very solid.

tommy compton
04-11-10, 08:12 PM
:histeric: I will have to admit that the interior and body styling destroys the CTS-V. I think the E39 is one of the best looking cars ever.

:cookoo: Exterior no F'n way, looks just like every other BMW to me. V's got the exterior looks hands down.

c4ss
04-11-10, 08:20 PM
:yeah:

shadybx7
04-11-10, 09:49 PM
E39 are sexy guys nodoubt. For instance the stock M5 wheels are much sexier then the :v:s stockers.. I guess this is just opinion, for me fact..but a :v: has great body lines all around San plate lowered the way god intended.. the rear 3/4s of the car. SEX!!! Those rear pilars make the car for me.. Example.. last Sunday at captree there was a huge crowd around a lowered :v: none around a group of 2 e39 m5s.. There are alot more m5s around then :v:1s rarity is cool

rand49er
04-11-10, 10:05 PM
Pardon my domestically dominated DNA, but why so much to maintain that German metal? :confused:

ELES6CTS
04-12-10, 02:15 AM
I think the wheel shops around here in DFW charge about $100 per wheel to fix them. I would say it's not too much of a fee for it look great again.

R4a2m0o
04-13-10, 05:30 PM
M5 maintenance is ridiculous.

Oil changes are 10-60 TWS Castrol only. Minimum $11/ltr. Don't even go to the dealer for it you gotta order online. Any M5 specific part is about twice that of a regular 5 series part. For example, the CPS (an item that regular goes out) are about 100 bucks a piece, compared to 50 on a 540i.

What M5 owners call "maintenance" is actually replacement of poorly engineered and unreliable stock parts. MAF's regularly go out (400 a piece). If you have problems with the VANOS (variable valve timing) you are gonna get anally raped. Even used replacements on ebay are 700/side minimum. Forget about the labor. There are a variety of cooling system and electronic system engineering booboos. Weatherstripping especially at the doors is prone to failure. Final stage A/C resistor. Suspension parts and tires get worn down unusually fast because of the stiffness of the chassis. Clutch lasts about 40k for somebody who actually drives the car as it was intended and IMO doesn't have enough grip for the power output. You literally can not powershift this car or the clutch will slip like crazy. I experienced this on every M5 I drove. The clutch has to be completely let out before you apply throttle on a shift.

All that aside, it's a beautiful driving car. It feels very solid. The steering is recirculating ball but it is low ratio and has a servotronic box that tightens it up when you hit the sport mode button.

heavymetals
04-13-10, 05:41 PM
Not just German metal is cheap to maintain.

Cost of Ferrari maintenance is around $500 a month.

Any model worth having.

2manycars
04-13-10, 06:37 PM
M5 maintenance is ridiculous.

Oil changes are 10-60 TWS Castrol only. Minimum $11/ltr. Don't even go to the dealer for it you gotta order online. Any M5 specific part is about twice that of a regular 5 series part. For example, the CPS (an item that regular goes out) are about 100 bucks a piece, compared to 50 on a 540i.

What M5 owners call "maintenance" is actually replacement of poorly engineered and unreliable stock parts. MAF's regularly go out (400 a piece). If you have problems with the VANOS (variable valve timing) you are gonna get anally raped. Even used replacements on ebay are 700/side minimum. Forget about the labor. There are a variety of cooling system and electronic system engineering booboos. Weatherstripping especially at the doors is prone to failure. Final stage A/C resistor. Suspension parts and tires get worn down unusually fast because of the stiffness of the chassis. Clutch lasts about 40k for somebody who actually drives the car as it was intended and IMO doesn't have enough grip for the power output. You literally can not powershift this car or the clutch will slip like crazy. I experienced this on every M5 I drove. The clutch has to be completely let out before you apply throttle on a shift.

All that aside, it's a beautiful driving car. It feels very solid. The steering is recirculating ball but it is low ratio and has a servotronic box that tightens it up when you hit the sport mode button.

Man I am even more glad now that I bought the V over the M5! The M5 was on my A list... but all in all I liked the V better. Whew!

R4a2m0o
04-13-10, 06:41 PM

Any model worth having.

Any Ferrari is much more unique than a BMW M5. Did you see the fifth gear with the Ferrari Enzo and the McLaren F1? McLaren F1 6k mile service = 20k british pounds or something crazy like that. Damn I would love to drive that car...

Vet+BB=V
04-13-10, 08:33 PM
Whats a CPS?

R4a2m0o
04-13-10, 08:39 PM
cam position sensor

heavymetals
04-13-10, 09:06 PM
Any Ferrari is much more unique than a BMW M5. Did you see the fifth gear with the Ferrari Enzo and the McLaren F1? McLaren F1 6k mile service = 20k british pounds or something crazy like that. Damn I would love to drive that car...

A friend of mine just got a 2007 AMG65.

What a sled.

Vet+BB=V
04-13-10, 11:01 PM
CPS? OK, makes sense. Never heard it that way seeing how there are 4 of them. It would be confusing to say your "cps" is bad. Seems like there are lots of differences between German and US acronyms. Obviously not a problem on a V with one cam.:highfive:

Albertan
04-13-10, 11:41 PM
I was just reading about the M5 maintenance. It does seem that BMW has never updated or fixed on going problems. I have 3 E36 BMWs, 1995, and 2 97's.
All the problems that my cars have seem to be carried forward to the new cars as well. I really like the E36, it is a small, well handling car, my plan is to install an LSX engine and get rid of most of the ongoing under engineered parts!

Vet+BB=V
04-14-10, 09:01 AM
I dont know that I could agree that the problems faced by the e-36 have been carried forward. The e-46 and current e-90 platforms are far superior and have completely different problems. :eyebrow:

repenttokyo
04-14-10, 06:07 PM
Automobile Magazine did a brake service on the Nissan GT-R recently, and pads fluid and rotors cost them $7,000. That's not a typo.

Vet+BB=V
04-14-10, 07:19 PM
Wow, 7k. That really makes me love my V. Hmm, What could I do with 7k in mods????? Too much fun.

Albertan
04-15-10, 12:57 AM
I dont know that I could agree that the problems faced by the e-36 have been carried forward. The e-46 and current e-90 platforms are far superior and have completely different problems. :eyebrow:

I guess I was referring mostly engine cooling problems. Oh, and the heater resistor. I'm not much interested in the newer cars since they are heavier and the older E30s look plain.

rpm_69
06-05-10, 01:56 PM
My V's rims are all rashed up thanks to the balancing and tire changes. IDK if is the rim's shape or just the machine at the shop I go to. It scratches the hell out of the edge of the rim.:annoyed:

jrosevear
06-05-10, 03:44 PM

Any model worth having.

Varies widely among Ferrari models. An old 308GTS will cost you maybe $1k a year as long as you do the timing belts regularly -- they're not fast by modern standards, but they're a blast to own and drive and you get to park with the big-buck cars at the local Italian car meet. A 456GT or 550M will cost you maybe $3k a year in routine stuff plus $30k+ every time the transmission goes, which is every 20k miles or so, sometimes less. A low-production car like an Enzo... forget it, there are only a few places in the US that can service them properly (only one if you need bodywork) and their labor rates are mind-blowing, never mind the parts costs. And if you think any of this is bad, try owning something like a vintage Countach...

But maintenance costs on a mass-market daily driver like a BMW should not even be discussed in the same breath. What they get away with is appalling.

heavymetals
06-05-10, 03:52 PM
I was thinking about a MODENA, but not anymore (unless I win the lottery).

http://www.secretentourage.com/cost-of-ownership-of-an-exotic-car/

repenttokyo
06-05-10, 04:11 PM
a friend had a testarossa - about $12,000 to do the timing belt, because the entire engine has to be dropped out of the car. and it's something that has to be done on a regular basiss.

jrosevear
06-05-10, 05:17 PM
a friend had a testarossa - about $12,000 to do the timing belt, because the entire engine has to be dropped out of the car. and it's something that has to be done on a regular basiss.

Yep. Same deal with the 348. I knew a guy once who built a rig to DIY that job on his TR at home. What a pain.