: CTS-V and Lots of Snow

ebferro
04-10-10, 12:59 AM
I'm considering the purchase of a new CTS-V. I live in NWPA and our average yearly snowfall is 180" so we get a lot of snow. I've searched the archives and it looks like some folks are using their CTS-V in the winter with the proper snow tires. Blizzaks seem to be mentioned frequently as being a good tire to use. Given the snowfall in my area and the fact that we frequently get 6" or more at any given time, is my hope that I can drive the car both in the winter and summer a pipe dream? I'd really like to not have to buy a winter 'beater' if I can avoid it.
Thanks in advance for the help.

commander112
04-10-10, 07:20 AM
There are a few guys around here that use their cars as year round drivers and live in the snow belt (Cleveland, Chicago) so it can be done. As you already know, proper snow tires are required. I'd also suggest a set of winter wheels to make it easy to change with the seasons and to reduce the wear and tear of simply swapping tires. I used my V1 with snow tires here in Detroit fow a while but quickly grew tired of making the change every year and now simply keep a truck around for the winter and use the V on the nice winter days.

cbloveday
04-10-10, 07:56 AM
X2 except the V is my daily driver all year long.

way2evil1
04-10-10, 09:16 AM
I've seen guys use their Vs with snow tires and I plan on doing the same with mine next season, but for you I think a winter vehicle would be more appropriate. 180 inches is alot of snow, and I am going to guess that many roads you will be driving on will not be plowed either for some time.

neuronbob
04-10-10, 09:17 AM
Did it in Cleveland. If I can drive the V year-round in Cleveland, it can be done anywhere. Over the winter we get over 100 inches on average in my neighborhood and this winter was no exception. (Clevelanders know to ignore the official reading at the airport, which is on the much drier West Side of town.) You require:

a) Winter wheels and tires. I used Pirelli Sottozeros and they were awesome. That's what most people here go with. Some went with Blizzaks, and that's all good too. The Pirellis give superior dry road traction with excellent snow/ice traction once moving. The Blizzaks give ultimate snow/ice grip but leave something to be desired for some in the dry (by report).

b) Common sense. If the roads are not going to be plowed where you are, even a non-V car with AWD and all-seasons isn't going anywhere. I'm lucky in that my wife prefers an SUV and I can use that when it really gets hairy. That said.....I never had to use our Pilot once this winter, and I drove during every snowstorm this last season.

Obligatory pics and video of my car showing proof of the concept:

Me driving in near-whiteout conditions in downtown Cleveland.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Orh9X0NPA

Here's the car on a light snow day....
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1653/photo3pt.jpg

Funnest winter driver ever. I loved every hairy minute of it.

Cheers,
Bob

neuronbob
04-10-10, 09:24 AM
Oh, forgot to say, the only thing I didn't like was handwashing my car with Z7 when the temp was in the teens F.....brrrrrrr......was totally worth it when in the first thorough spring wash, the water beaded right over last fall's layer of Zaino. I didn't even strip the Zaino off, I just added another two layers.

04-10-10, 11:16 AM
In addition to the snow tires, I would recommend going to an ammo shop and buying two 50 pound bags of lead shot. Put em in your trunk or spare tire well. With the right tires, it will make a huge difference.

mberisha
04-10-10, 12:34 PM
Anonfrank....did you take that video driving North on 77 as you cross over I-490 by E..55 and Broadway?

Also...like you said...if you can drive your high-powered V in Cleveland in the snow...yup..you can drive it anywhere. I've lived in Cleveland, Erie, PA, Buffalo, Rapid City, SD, and now MO....and without a doubt....some of the worst snowstorms I've seen are the lake effects blasting off of the lake pounding downtown Cleveland and the eastern suburbs.

Anyways....bad-ass for driving the V all winter long in Cleveland... I didn't think it could be done!

-Met

matia
04-11-10, 12:17 AM
Not a terrible winter this year in Toronto but for the bad days we did have I had no problems at all with the Sottos. The V1 in comparison was terrible. I was quite pleasantly surprised. Don't hesitate making it an all year round car.

neuronbob
04-11-10, 09:40 AM
Anonfrank....did you take that video driving North on 77 as you cross over I-490 by E..55 and Broadway?

Also...like you said...if you can drive your high-powered V in Cleveland in the snow...yup..you can drive it anywhere. I've lived in Cleveland, Erie, PA, Buffalo, Rapid City, SD, and now MO....and without a doubt....some of the worst snowstorms I've seen are the lake effects blasting off of the lake pounding downtown Cleveland and the eastern suburbs.

Anyways....bad-ass for driving the V all winter long in Cleveland... I didn't think it could be done!

-Met

Heh, thanks, I am rarely called badassed in real life. :D You have a sharp memory, I-77 over 490 is exactly where I was for that video. You can't see any of the tall downtown buildings (they should be to the left) in that video because of all the flying snow.

Prof
04-11-10, 03:11 PM
My V2 is a daily driver too. I have other vehicles that I would not even think about driving in the winter, but the V2 with Sottos has been wonderful. I live north of Chicago and our winters can be very severe...but the V2 is my choice...

tedcmiller
04-11-10, 09:27 PM
As everyone knows, the Vs are rear wheel drive and front wheel drive is superior in the snow. The "summer only" tires provided by the factory on these cars are useless in the snow. You could not ask for a worse combination for snow and ice. Putting different tires on the Vs will help some. I am on my third CTS-V, but then again I almost never get see any snow where I live.

Kadonny
04-12-10, 08:57 AM
You are in PA? Then it's a pipe dream.

I know a lot of people here are saying they used their cars in the winter, but I don't think they have the terrain we have here in PA. Yes, weight over the rear wheel does help a lot, but do you really want to be driving around with a few hundred extra pounds in the trunk weighing the car down all winter long? Also those living in other parts of the country (no knocking anyone) don't have the hills and mountains we have here in PA, that makes it a whole lot harder......almost impossible to run all winter in all weather with the V.

I live in PA, I run winter Sottozero tires, but when we get heavy snow the V stays in the garage. Try starting from a standstill on a snowy hill even with Sottos. It's a spinning mess.

My opinion of course.

Cub Cadet
04-12-10, 12:10 PM
For the price of winter tires / wheels, I just spent a bit more and got a 1999 F150 4x4. That works for the winter and I have a truck bed that I can use now to haul things.

neuronbob
04-12-10, 01:38 PM
I dunno if I could use this car in Pittsburgh during the winter with all the hills. narrower Blizzaks (e.g. For more snow performance while giving up a little dry performance) might be the way to go in that situation. As I said above, though....common sense will dictate the appropriate response.

mpouls1
04-12-10, 07:18 PM
You are in PA? Then it's a pipe dream.

LOL! My g/f is from Shamokin, PA and I have visited once. No way whatsoever would I even attempt to drive around where her family lives. Hills everywhere and narrow roads. Maybe if you were around some larger cities. Where I live I ran the sottos with no problems. If you live in podunk leave it in the garage.

ebferro
04-17-10, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the help, everyone. I've definitely got some hills where I live. The sales guys at the dealership with which I was dealing said they have sold two other CTS-Vs and both of those folks put their car up for the winter. In addition, they couldn't recommend I use it in the winter. That, coupled with the suggestions of the folks on the forum here who live or have connections in my area have made me decide to wait till I save enough for a winter beater or am able to keep my crappy Enclave. The Enclave goes OK in the winter despite the fact that it can't seem to get out of its own way any other time. Maybe that's why it's good in the winter. There's not enough torque to spin the wheels. Again, thanks for the help and opinions everyone.