: Got Starter-Clutch Interlock Defeated

POS VETT
04-09-10, 10:09 PM
After work today, I decided to tackle the clutch switch again. This time I knew a bit more about what I was up against. After removing the tray covering the bottom part of the dash, I attempted to unplug the clutch switch. It wasn't easy since the switch is mounted on the clutch plunger; it wanted to spin and ride up the plunger. What made it agonizing was the combination of lack of space (could only fit one hand with very limited movement) and the fact that I was almost upside down. Feet up by the headrest, back bent backward at the edge of the seat cushion and my head was on the floor.

After maybe about 1/2 hour, I got it off and the challenge didn't stop there. The plug was off but the wires were quite short that there was no room to manipulate them. Finally I got an idea to create a short 3-4" jumper wire and I started jumping two pins at a time. There were a total of 4; and there were three different wires. With the wife manning the key in the ignition, here came all the mathematical combinations possible and it had to be the last combination that bypassed the interlock.

The pins that were needed to be jumped are the top right and the bottom right. This is while looking at the connector end (*not* the wire end) which is a 2x2. Tab/lock on top. The jumper wire was placed on the other end (the wire end) of the connector. About half an inch of the jumper wire needed to be stripped on each end. I put a piece of electrical tape to keep it in place.

Plugging the connector back in wasn't easy either; that alone took me another 5-10 minutes. Yes, it was worth it :woohoo: One little victory at a time :)

garrettg
04-10-10, 05:53 PM
Any ideas on bypassing the ebrake switch, so one can access all nav functions, alter personal features, watch dvd's without the 2 button trick and change memory seat positions, etc.. while driving?

ELES6CTS
04-10-10, 07:11 PM
Bypassing the parking brake would be nice.

POS VETT
04-11-10, 06:48 AM
That I have no idea.

I thought there was already a mod like that in FAQ, I may be wrong. On a certain generation Toyota Sienna, the navigation/DVD could be manipulated by momentarily cutting off the vehicle speed sensor output to the head unit. Maybe it's the same trick for V, but I'm not sure.

ELES6CTS
04-11-10, 08:57 AM
In the FAQ it does show a way that you can watch a DVD while in motion, but if you stop and use the parking brake and then start back up it resets the DVD and you have to repeat the procedure to get it to play. It would be nice if this was all disabled so you could just watch it without going through the procedure.

maxspeed96ct
04-11-10, 10:28 AM
good info POS, were you having trouble with your switch or does you car have a remote starter ?

POS VETT
04-11-10, 06:38 PM
good info POS, were you having trouble with your switch or does you car have a remote starter ?

None of the above. I just don't like having to push the clutch in when starting.

The Tony Show
04-11-10, 08:41 PM
Make sure you tell anyone who gets in your car, such as a service department. That's an accident waiting to happen.

maxspeed96ct
04-11-10, 08:44 PM
None of the above. I just don't like having to push the clutch in when starting.

lol

cadillac is way behind in technology, my 94 toyota pickup has this feature stock. Just push in a botton instead. :bouncy:

POS VETT
04-12-10, 08:32 AM
Make sure you tell anyone who gets in your car, such as a service department. That's an accident waiting to happen.

Thank you for the heads up :) I can debate the merits but I'm not going to in here. I've been doing this for all cars I have owned since 13-14 years ago with zero accident.

ashanson
04-14-10, 06:07 PM
Thank you! I've been wanting to do this since the first day I got the V but figured it wasn't possible since it's an analog sensor instead of in/out separate sensors.

I actually replaced the clutch position sensor last night, wish I would have seen this yesterday. Oh well, it's a 5 min job for me now that I learned the trick to unplugging it.

ewill3rd
04-14-10, 08:39 PM
Be sure your mechanic knows!

I was working on a Honda back in the day (after I started fresh) and I had a stick in gear so it wouldn't roll and someone had bypassed the switch like that.
I reached in and start it because I forgot it wasn't an automatic.
It lit right up and shot off the end of the lift it was on, almost injured a coworker and it mutilated a toolbox. It didn't do much damage to the car, but it was a Honda... not a 400+ horsepower sport sedan.

JimmyH
04-14-10, 11:02 PM

:yeah:

lol

cadillac is way behind in technology, my 94 toyota pickup has this feature stock. Just push in a botton instead. :bouncy:

they had to remove this feature on new Toyotas to make room for the anti-furling-floormat-sensor.

Any ideas on bypassing the ebrake switch, so one can access all nav functions, alter personal features, watch dvd's without the 2 button trick and change memory seat positions, etc.. while driving?

you still would not be able to access the nav menus, because the nav knows when the car is moving from its gps telemetry.

ewill3rd
04-15-10, 07:05 AM
Actually I am not sure what the parking brake has to do with anything as far as DVD goes.

AFAIK the computer watches the VSS data to determine play/no play.
You can push the pedal down enough to turn the light on if you want but get ready to hear a dinging noise that will make you want to kill someone and I hope you don't mind a flashing red lamp in your face.

POS VETT
04-15-10, 08:48 AM
Thank you! I've been wanting to do this since the first day I got the V but figured it wasn't possible since it's an analog sensor instead of in/out separate sensors.

I actually replaced the clutch position sensor last night, wish I would have seen this yesterday. Oh well, it's a 5 min job for me now that I learned the trick to unplugging it.

You have to tell me how to do it.

I was lucky to get the connector off, wouldn't be able to repeat it. Please tell me how to undo the switch itself. I have never seen one like it and I have bypassed a lot of cars before.

ashanson
04-15-10, 04:39 PM
I took the entire sensor off the master cylinder first by removing the white plastic, then it allows everything to hang lower so I can get ahold of both the sensor and the plug. Pushed in the tab on the harness and just pulled it off.

POS VETT
04-15-10, 05:18 PM
I considered that too but I just couldn't see how I could get enough hold on it to undo the white plastic retainer. The switch just wants to spin and slide along the plunger.

ashanson
04-15-10, 06:17 PM
It stops at a certain point of rotation, I held pressure to that side and was able to get the white clip off easily that way.