: melting headlight covers

sled99
04-08-10, 08:59 PM
I have an issue with my headlight covers melting on the inside right by the running light bulbs. I looked on e-bay and everyone in there has the same issue. does any one know how to fix this or prevent it if i buy new headlights. My car is out of warranty so thats not a option.

ccclarke
04-09-10, 08:13 PM
This is a very common issue with 04-06 XLRs. The orange DRL bezel material crazes from the heat and ends up looking like it's melting, ruining what are pretty cool-looking headlights. And you're right-many of the "bargain" headlight assemblies for sale on eBay are cosmetically damaged replacements. Caveat emptor.

The good news is GM changed the bezel material and subsequent headlight builds have been free of this problem. The bad news is headlamp assemblies are close to $1000 each. I was very lucky; mine were replaced out of warranty as a goodwill gesture by my dealership. Be aware that there is a new pigtail harness that needs to be installed for each of the newer headlights on the older models.

(Upgraded Harness P/N 19120977, Headlight P/Ns: 25868095 and 25868096.) If they're in stock, try gmpartsdirect.com (they're usually around 40% cheaper on OEM parts) and have the dealer do the installation/alignment.

Hope this helps,

CC

sled99
04-10-10, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the infomation. I am going to run it by my dealer and see what they say. What is OEM parts?

ccclarke
04-12-10, 08:39 PM
OEM: An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, manufactures products or components that are purchased by a company and retailed under that purchasing company's brand name. OEM refers to the company that originally manufactured the product.

When referring to automotive parts, OEM designates a replacement part made by the manufacturer of the original part.

Test on Friday.

CC

shawn.foist
04-15-10, 11:22 PM
I replaced mine with new units, got them for $400 for the pair off ebay. Not to take any chances I put LED turn lamps in them.

sled99
05-01-10, 12:29 AM
Shawn
Do you know what the bulb number is for the signal
lights, I would like to put the LED lights in as well. I believe they will be a lot cooler. Thank for the info.