: Play in steering wheel

shawn744
04-08-10, 05:45 PM
Hello all. Hope all is well with everyone. I have a bit of a situation with my 2008 EXT. I have 25000 miles on it and it seems that out of the blue there is some play in my steering wheel. You can feel it all the time but noticably worse on the highway when you need that extra tightness to stay in your lane...when driving straight and even with the steering wheel tracking straight. Its about almost an inch of play. So i took it to my dealer and they changed the "intermediate steering shaft." Still has play in it...i couldn't find any previous posts with this problem except one in the CTS forum...

Any idea what this could be? This is a very annoying problem and it makes me feel like i'm driving a piece of garbage. I've had other escalades and a bunch of other foreign cars and never had this happen before.

I went out on a drive with the tech a few hours ago and he confirmed that there still was a gap...but of course he didn't show as much concern with it that I did...Could it need a replacing of the steering rack?...and the odds of them actually going through that kind of time and trouble to fix it...

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Shawn

Tec80
04-09-10, 01:50 AM
It is either the rack or a loose tie rod end.

shawn744
04-09-10, 11:08 AM
could it also be a worn pitman arm? but on a cadillac with no off road usage @ 25k miles?

hcvone
04-09-10, 11:59 AM
could it also be a worn pitman arm? but on a cadillac with no off road usage @ 25k miles?

I have had a few with more miles than that without any issues, but things do wearout and break. Let us know what they do to fix the issue

Tec80
04-09-10, 10:02 PM
No pitman arm on GMT-900. Rack & Pinion...

shawn744
04-11-10, 06:42 PM
stopped by the dealer on friday, i noticed the steering wheel was crooked...to the left like 3 inches...when i inquired about it, they said we put in a new steering rack, and the car isn't done yet. Play in steering wheel was still there. Either the play didn't come from the intermediate steering shaft, or a "new steering rack," OR...they lied and didn't change anything yet. I don't understand what else can be causing this issue....maybe i'll tell them to change the whole steering column...i'm out of suggestions, only other thing i can do it contact GM and get in touch with a district manager who can take this further...its been almost a month and i want my damn car back...

08escalade
11-14-10, 04:21 PM
curious if this was resolved. i have the same problem right now in my 08. but i have a chirp, a rattle, and the trouble with it feels like it is drifting when you are going straight. i was positive it was the wheel bearing, but my dealer said it was the center cap on the rim. ha ha funny. a center cap on my rim is chripping ratteling and causing the truck to handle like crap... give me a break! let me know what the answer was. thank you!!

williamryan
06-07-11, 12:32 AM
Any word on what the issue was from the dealer? I have an 08 with 50k miles and it has about 2 inches of play in the steering wheel as well. It's not a big deal at low speeds but going down the highway it's a little scary feeling.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-08-11, 12:01 PM
williamryan ,

I am sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this issue. Have you spoken with your dealership about this issue yet?

Thank you

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

williamryan
07-28-11, 11:22 PM
williamryan ,

I am sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this issue. Have you spoken with your dealership about this issue yet?

Thank you

I took my vehicle in for service and had them check it out. They ended up replacing the steering column and now if feels like it did new. It was all covered under my GMPP. Thanks Elizabeth!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-29-11, 11:44 AM
Williamryan,

I am glad to hear you got everything fixed! If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know!

Thank you,