: How to remove fuel rail 2002 model

Some Car Guy
04-07-10, 12:25 AM
Hello, I am changing the plenum on my sisters 02 Deville. So far so good, but I have ran into a problem.

I'm afraid that I will break the injectors prying the fuel rail up. I have the bolt lossened ont he drivers side that holds the rails. I have all for of the 10 mm nuts off, actually, the studs came out, so all clear.

How do I get the fuel rail on off without breaking stuff?

Thanks

Submariner409
04-07-10, 07:39 AM
Blow out each injector boss with computer compressed air. Place a couple of drops of engine oil in each boss and let it sit for an hour. Sometimes (your case0 the O-rings stick. Carefully work them out - the rail also lifts off the injectors - there are 2 O-rings on each: a lower (intake manifold seal) and an upper (fuel rail seal). Use a smear of oil n each O-ring for replacement. You might want to go to a NAPA store and get a fuel line quick disconnect kit - not expensive - because the fuel lines should be disconnected from the rail.

The torque on those manifold bolts is 89 in/lb - not much - about 7 ft/lb. Too tight and the manifold bolt bosses crack.

bigtone
04-07-10, 08:14 AM
I've changed 2 of those plenums so far, and I've done it without removing the fuel rail from the intake. If you remove the bolts that clamp the rail down near the throttle body, you can pivot the manifold up on the passenger side and then pull away from the throttle body to slide out the old plenum and slide in the new one. There is just enough room to do this. Also I used one of those 'wobble' socket extensions to remove the intake bolts. The rear one on the drivers side is tight but you can gently push the rail away for clearance with that bolt. Total job took less probably than an hour this way. Your call, but I really didnt see the need to mess with the fuel rail.

Some Car Guy
04-07-10, 09:55 AM
Sounds like you didn't remove the intake at all, just slide it over.

Correct?

How do you know if the intake gaskets are still lined up?

Some Car Guy
04-07-10, 09:58 AM
Or it appears that I could get the rail loose from the injectors and just leave them in the intake. Would need to get the disconnect tool.

Should I just count on replacing the O rings?

Some Car Guy
04-07-10, 10:05 AM
Also, I broke the little gray lock tabs that are on the coil pack wires. Will they hold with just the main lock in place? I bet none of the local dealers would have that little part.

Ranger
04-07-10, 11:05 AM
Pulling the injectors with the rail seems a lot easier than separating each injector from the rail, if you go that route. Once all the hold downs are removed it should just pop out as a unit.

Some Car Guy
04-07-10, 12:29 PM
Good news- got the rails out.

Bad news- can't get the intake moved enough to roll it out of the plenum. I don;t see any way to get at the one bolt on the far low side of the plenum to all me to remove the plenum with the intake at the same time.

I can;t seem to get the fuel lines to pop loose at the connector either. I have rolled the tool all the way around both connections near the drivers side near where the hold down bolt it. Just won;t pop off. I even tried using a pair of Channel Locks as a hanllde to push evenly from the bootom of the tool up.

I have a feeling that I'm just oh so close to getting this intkae out. I just need to find the magic position to get things loose.

I tried to roll the plenum off the intake with no luck. That seems to be what is holding me back from getting the intake on out of there. I think if I can get the fuel lines discconceted, that I would have more room to get the intake out of there with the rails laid towards the back of the engine.

:hmm:What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty good with old musclecars, but this new stuff is throwing me for a loop.

Submariner409
04-07-10, 01:01 PM
You loosen the plenum clamp (#2 in the manifold drawing), pull the manifold up and out, then remove the plenum from the throttlebody.

The ICM connectors have lock tabs which trip with a screwdriver. Same for the two locks on each fuel injector connector - you slide the first lock up and off the injector, then squeeze the second lock and lift off the connector. The injectors are held onto the fuel rail with a third lock tab on the plastic fuel rail cover.

Some Car Guy
04-07-10, 01:15 PM
I decided the intake was going to come out of the car no question. SO I made it happen.

That is when I figured out that the plenum is held on with bolts that go into welded nuts on the plenum. So If I had saw that and roved the bolts from the drivers side of the car, it would have all just came right out.

I thought they nuts that were on studs in the TB

Off to get some cleaner and an air filter. Should be done the afternoon.

Submariner409
04-07-10, 01:35 PM
:sneaky: You need a Helm/GM Service Manual for reference instead of crashing around in the dark and breaking things. :hide:

Make sure the intake ducting is properly installed and there are no air leaks after the MAF - even a small leak in that duct will cause fuel mixture codes to set and also a rough idle.

While the manifold is off, check and clean/tighten the starter motor electrical cables.

This engine probably does not have a PCV "rattle valve" - it has a fixed orifice in the rear cam cover. That line must be intact and hooked up to the intake manifold tunnel correctly.

Some Car Guy
04-07-10, 02:16 PM
The plenum has a slit in the bottom side, which corresponds with where I sprayed cleaner last week and the idle changed.

Ranger
04-07-10, 05:07 PM
Yup, that's pretty common. I'm waiting for mine to start acting up. How many miles on that one?

Some Car Guy
04-08-10, 01:13 AM

We delivered another car to my step dad about 40 miles from here.

The 98 Cady finished off the head gasket on the way back, I'm pretty sure. 128K on that one.:banghead:

The 02 now runs great. Too bad when I got back from the test drive it was low on oil. Forgot to check before heading out. Par for the course for these cars. :hide:

bigtone
04-08-10, 08:20 AM
Sounds like you didn't remove the intake at all, just slide it over.

Correct?

How do you know if the intake gaskets are still lined up?

I pretty much rotated the intake, passenger side up. There is just enough room to do that. Once it clears the power steering pump, you can pull it off the plenum. It is much easier if you have someone to help hold it up while you check the gaskets. To me, this was much easier than removing the fuel rails and injectors.

Some Car Guy
04-08-10, 10:39 AM
I did that, but it would have been much easier I think to take the three bolts out that hold in the plenum. Then roll the intake out from under the injectors/ fuel rails.

This wasn't a bad job at all. If I had more experience with SFI, I would have know that I could be more forceful with rolling the injectors out of the intake.

Thanks for all the help everybody. :thumbsup: