: Advice - Escalade vs The Competition

jpl2797
04-06-10, 11:08 PM
Hi guys, new here....I'm in the mkt for a new SUV and have had my eyes on the Escalade, however the issues with the wheels (chrome chipping, tire leaks) I've read about here have me apprehensive. Have you guys had what you would consider reliability issues with the Escalade?? If so would I be better off/or the same looking into a Range Rover Sport (heard they have several issues) an X5 or Q7? Any feedback is appreciated.

Dave1972
04-06-10, 11:30 PM
I bought my 07 Escalade used as a CPO off lease return vehicle and have had a few minimal problems. My main one is the paint at the seams of the door skins (where it folds over on the inside of the door) have rusted on the 2 rear doors and the back hatch. My dealership repaired and repainted them last year but winters in Wisconsin use quite a bit of salt and I see the rust reappearing again (I will visit the dealership again also). I had one wheel replaced due to chrome flaking issues but I'm not sure I blame the manufacturer completely--I mean--they are being subjected to terrible extremes and chemicals and after 3 VERY hard winters they still look pretty good. I'm confident that everyone on here will say that they are meticulous when it comes to keeping their vehicles clean but I have a feeling I'm a little more obsessive/compulsive than most relating to this issue. I'm surprised and offended that at this caliber of vehicle that rust would be a possibility after 3 years of ANY driving/conditions. The other concerns you'll read on here are fairly minor and easily fixed as long as you have a reputable dealer. I've had no road noise, no tire leaks, and the interior is still flawless and squeak-free after 40,000 miles. If you decide on the Escalade and opt for the 22" wheels, I do feel that the stock brakes are very much at their maximum capacity with the 22's and I've been thinking about upgrading them to larger rotors and possibly better calipers (haven't made a decision on which is best value for the money). If you plan on towing anything other than a utility trailer, I would seriously consider a brake upgrade. I can't speak of the 18" wheels and the brakes but I notice the 22"s and the system seems to struggle to slow the big beast down effectively and I don't have huge confidence like driving my wife's Merc.

For reference my wife has a Mercedes ML550 and we love it as it's a very different vehicle (sporty and fun to drive versus large and in charge with the Caddy). I guess the decision comes down to what you are really looking for out of your SUV. If interior room and creature comforts are high on your priority list, I don't think the Caddy can be beat.

Punmax
04-06-10, 11:59 PM
My Escalade has 90,000KM, and has been absolutely trouble free. I don't have any concerns about the warranty running out either, but if I had a BMW/Audi/Range Rover, I would be concerned. Out of all those trucks, I'd opt for either the Escalade, or the RR. You can easily sell your stock 22's, and get aftermarket wheels.

Be warned of the Range Rover, they do have many electrical problems!

hcvone
04-07-10, 07:38 AM
Hi guys, new here....I'm in the mkt for a new SUV and have had my eyes on the Escalade, however the issues with the wheels (chrome chipping, tire leaks) I've read about here have me apprehensive. Have you guys had what you would consider reliability issues with the Escalade?? If so would I be better off/or the same looking into a Range Rover Sport (heard they have several issues) an X5 or Q7? Any feedback is appreciated.

I have had 7 Escalade's since 2003, a 2003, (3) 2007's, 2008, 2009 and just got a 2010, and I have (2) Range Rovers (2006 HSE 2010 HSE) I live half the year in SE PA and half the year in the snow belt in upstate NY, my trucks are burried in snow, ice and salt, and I have had zero issues with chrome flaking, of course I am in the car care business so my cars/trucks are always clean and waxed. My 06' RR has been back to the dealership probably 20 times in 4 years, it's a piece of junk in terms of all the little crap that keeps breaking or not working, never anything major just little things that require another visit, my 2010 has been trouble free, it only has 1600 miles on it. With all 7 Escalade's I have owned I have only made 3 dealer visits, one was for a burned out HID bulb on my 2003 when the truck was 5 days old, the second was last week with my 2010 with 200 miles on it to get a check engine light "fixed" , it was a pin in a connector that was not seated, the third was a big one when my second 2007 exploded in my garage with under 900 miles on it, they built me a new truck and delivered it in under 3 weeks. Any car/truck can be problems or be a lemon. :)

evois
04-07-10, 10:07 AM
I have had 7 Escalade's since 2003, a 2003, (3) 2007's, 2008, 2009 and just got a 2010, and I have (2) Range Rovers (2006 HSE 2010 HSE) I live half the year in SE PA and half the year in the snow belt in upstate NY, my trucks are burried in snow, ice and salt, and I have had zero issues with chrome flaking, of course I am in the car care business so my cars/trucks are always clean and waxed. My 06' RR has been back to the dealership probably 20 times in 4 years, it's a piece of junk in terms of all the little crap that keeps breaking or not working, never anything major just little things that require another visit, my 2010 has been trouble free, it only has 1600 miles on it. With all 7 Escalade's I have owned I have only made 3 dealer visits, one was for a burned out HID bulb on my 2003 when the truck was 5 days old, the second was last week with my 2010 with 200 miles on it to get a check engine light "fixed" , it was a pin in a connector that was not seated, the third was a big one when my second 2007 exploded in my garage with under 900 miles on it, they built me a new truck and delivered it in under 3 weeks. Any car/truck can be problems or be a lemon. :)

which would you prefer driving to new york? the slade or the RR. I went there this spring break and the hybrid took a beating in all the crappy NY GW bridge roads.

hcvone
04-07-10, 05:12 PM
which would you prefer driving to new york? the slade or the RR. I went there this spring break and the hybrid took a beating in all the crappy NY GW bridge roads.

The pre magnetic ride Escalade's because they had a softer ride on rough roads, of course you also need to run 18" tires for the best and softest ride, of course many of my roads are not paved, but are smoother than the roads in NY City. :)

jpl2797
04-07-10, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback.....please keep the input coming.

hcvone - any reason you needed 3 Escalades during '07?

hcvone
04-07-10, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback.....please keep the input coming.

hcvone - any reason you needed 3 Escalades during '07?

Had 4 homes in 2007, so we left one at each of those location and drove the other one, now I have 2 homes but still 3 Escalade's 08' 09' & 10', probably will sell the 08' to pay for my new snowmobiles, they are not cheap anymore. ;)

humberto
04-07-10, 08:51 PM
I bought my 07 Escalade used as a CPO off lease return vehicle and have had a few minimal problems. My main one is the paint at the seams of the door skins (where it folds over on the inside of the door) have rusted on the 2 rear doors and the back hatch. My dealership repaired and repainted them last year but winters in Wisconsin use quite a bit of salt and I see the rust reappearing again (I will visit the dealership again also). I had one wheel replaced due to chrome flaking issues but I'm not sure I blame the manufacturer completely--I mean--they are being subjected to terrible extremes and chemicals and after 3 VERY hard winters they still look pretty good. I'm confident that everyone on here will say that they are meticulous when it comes to keeping their vehicles clean but I have a feeling I'm a little more obsessive/compulsive than most relating to this issue. I'm surprised and offended that at this caliber of vehicle that rust would be a possibility after 3 years of ANY driving/conditions. The other concerns you'll read on here are fairly minor and easily fixed as long as you have a reputable dealer. I've had no road noise, no tire leaks, and the interior is still flawless and squeak-free after 40,000 miles. If you decide on the Escalade and opt for the 22" wheels, I do feel that the stock brakes are very much at their maximum capacity with the 22's and I've been thinking about upgrading them to larger rotors and possibly better calipers (haven't made a decision on which is best value for the money). If you plan on towing anything other than a utility trailer, I would seriously consider a brake upgrade. I can't speak of the 18" wheels and the brakes but I notice the 22"s and the system seems to struggle to slow the big beast down effectively and I don't have huge confidence like driving my wife's Merc.

For reference my wife has a Mercedes ML550 and we love it as it's a very different vehicle (sporty and fun to drive versus large and in charge with the Caddy). I guess the decision comes down to what you are really looking for out of your SUV. If interior room and creature comforts are high on your priority list, I don't think the Caddy can be beat.

I have the same problem with the two rear doors and hatch rusting on the inside where the skin folds been repaired 3 months ago and its starting to rust again.My rims have also been replaced because of peeling chrome and all this is happening to an 08 escalade with 50,000kms that is washed every week sometimes twice a week,and waxed two x a year.UNEXCEPTABLE in my opinion.