: Submariner..any leftovers?

Skiller.
04-06-10, 12:39 PM
Sub, if you have any leftovers from your Easter dinner, feel free to deliver them to me :stirpot:

Submariner409
04-06-10, 12:44 PM
By the time we were done that lamb roast looked like the buzzards had been at it for a week.............but the recipe is a keeper............when Karen gets back from aerobics I'll post it.

Skiller.
04-06-10, 02:12 PM
Would be much appreciated :D

Submariner409
04-06-10, 02:58 PM
OK - this will be lengthy, so save it. It's well worth the effort. The recipe will work for either a rolled lamb roast or lamb ribs.

Mechoui (Berber) of lamb with Harissa

1 small onion, peel and quarter
3 cloves garlic, peel and cut in half
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and diced into 1/4" cubes
3 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tsp coarse Kosher salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp fresh black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp lemon zest
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 - 3 tbsp olive oil
A 3 - 4 pound rolled lamb roast or equivalent ribs
Harissa for serving (recipe follows)
Lemon wedges to suit

Place the onion, garlic, ginger, paprika, salt, coriander, pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a food processor fitted with a metal chopping blade. Puree into a coarse paste, running the processor in short bursts. With the blade running feed the lemon juice and enough oil to obtain a paste the consistency of mayonnaise. Correct the seasoning to taste, adding salt or lemon juice. The paste should be highly seasoned.

Marinate the roast or ribs for 3 - 7 hours in the paste in the refrigerator - a gallon freezer bag works well. Let the roast/ribs warm a bit while you........

Prepare your grille for either roasting or ribs - about 375 for the roast. Place a drip pan under the grille, center of roast. Heat the grille and roll the roast in the paste. Place roast on grille, cover with remaining paste. Roast/grille until done - about 165 degrees for the roast.

Harissa (about 3/4 cup), serve with lamb as a dip or sauce.

2 tbsp hot paprika
3 cloves coarsely chopped garlic
2 tsp coarse kosher salt, more or less
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, more or less.

Place the fresh paprika garlic, salt, coriander, cumin, olive oil, lemon juice and 2 tbsp hot water in a blender. Puree to a smooth sauce. Season to taste with salt or lemon juice. May be refrigerated covered for at least a week. Warm to room temp for serving.

Obviously this takes work, but it's well worth it. For spices take a look at www.penzeys.com (you'll get hungry, and their recipes are to die for). I picked up the basic idea when I was in Morocco during a Mediterranean Navy tour and Karen found this recipe online somewhere.

Skiller.
04-06-10, 06:03 PM
Thanks sub. The real question is..Do you know as much about cooking as you do engines? :p

Submariner409
04-06-10, 06:25 PM
:sneaky: Actually, I know very little about either type of mechanics................:cool: