: Performance Parts ?

fullcircle
04-06-10, 12:40 PM
Hello all new to the site. I own a restoration shop and just got a new job in. It is a 1959 Convertible that the customer wants us to put a sts v/xlr v engine and transmission in. Where is the best place to find aftermarket parts for the 4.4? Mainly headers and performance upgrades?

Thanks Tom

ccclarke
04-06-10, 06:08 PM
I hope your customer is very, very wealthy because he's gonna split it with you. There are far easier (and cheaper) ways to power his '59 convertible. It might end up being easier to transplant the car's body to the XLR's chassis. . . Given enough time and money, nothing is impossible, however.

The XLR is the most complex production vehicle GM has ever built. It's technology is still creeping into the rest of their line-up --after six years. You're not dropping just an engine and tranny in, you'll need a bunch of electronic modules to tie it all together as well. If you figure out how to re-program the CAN to ignore the missing components, I'll be most impressed. The BCM will be looking for all of the modules and will likely puke it's silicon guts out if they aren't reporting in. (There are 23, not counting all the sensors that report to them.) I've read the posts of several mechanics and would-be DIYers trying to do just this same thing and none could pull it off, especially after spending big bucks for the powertrains, not realizing what they were really getting into. If you do, let us know. I'd love to see it done.

Good luck!

CC

deadringer
04-07-10, 10:55 AM
Talk to AJxtcman (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=53848) on the forum, he knows everything about the Northstar motor (including the supercharged version)... I believe he's put a N* in a Fiero as a project... and he doesn't find the supercharged ver to be much different than the standard N*.

As much as I respect ccclarke's opinion on things, I dont' think the transplant is as hard as he makes it out to be... :)

ccclarke
04-07-10, 04:27 PM
Ditto! Is this a great country, or what?!!

CC

fullcircle
04-15-10, 12:07 PM
Ok, I have made some calles to my usual companies I use for late model drivetrain transplants and there seems to be no problem with the 4.4 V motor transplant. I send off the computer and harness to my computer guy he goes thru it taking out any unnecessary wiring and gives the pcm initial reflash. Once the car is ready to start I have a mobil tech who I use come by and final tune the computer. I will keep everyone posted as I go. Now I just need to find a drivetrain.

Thanks Tom

BrandonW
08-07-10, 04:52 AM
Hey can you tell me how this went about? I also require making some calls too.