: Anyone else think Concert Tickets are absurd now?

notld67
04-06-10, 11:30 AM
Seriously, 50%+ of the shows tickets end up in brokers hands before they even go on sale, wtf is up with that? The simple fact the ticket reseller Stubhub is owned by Ticketmaster should be illegal, they don't even sell those tickets, just put them up for 5x the face value.

My wife and her friends have been wanting to see Lady Gaga (Who for some reason is harder to get tickets too then the Superbowl). So I told her I would get them, looked for 4 weeks waiting for the on sale...ok, go on pre-sale today...Went on exactly at on sale and boom it says sold out...ok, now I highly doubt 14,000 tickets sold out in 15 secs. The GD tickets were already being sold by brokers last week! Before they even went on sale....

Another corrupt thing ticketmaster does, I refreshed and it finally offered me tickets...Shitty tickets which were in the price level 3 section at $49.00 but ticketmaster now raised the price to level 2 $85! This is disgusting now.

The fact that some of these concerts are over $250 a ticket with fees/taxes is disgusting. For some reason as well here in Dallas concerts always seem to be more expensive, i dont know why. Example would be the Mayhem Tour, Tickets were $45-$50 every other city..went to buy them here and they were $70.00. I've seen alot of shows like this. Ugh, I hate concerts now. Only way you can enjoy a show anymore is to shell out $500 to a broker for good seats...

orconn
04-06-10, 12:30 PM
Their is only one solution, boycott the concerts so the performers have to contract with the ticket brokers to make the tickets available to retail customers only. If I remember a while back this same thing happened and the performing groups made the ticket brokers supply them to fans at the legitimate prices.

Paying $250. to see a performace is rediculous .... but no more rediculous that paying a rediculous price for an athletic event. But as long as the ticket brokers and scalpers can find eager buyers this type thing will continue.

notld67
04-06-10, 02:50 PM
Everything is absurd now. Sports tickets are too high but at least you can get into the building for cheap...I mean you can get $5 to the mavs here, $3 to the rangers...Mavs will at least do "sales" I got 2 lower levels for like $30 each a couple weeks ago. Concert's are just out of control....Hell have you looked at the stupid VIP Packages? For example, Bon Jovi $2000! $2000! FOR 1 TICKET. Not even a meet and greet, gets you a watered down jack n coke, a shirt and a ticket in the pit area. wtf. wtf is right. We use to do concerts all the time, now its got to where we want to see a band/performer but cant justify spending what they want.

Meet and Greets are retarded, $400-$1,000 to go in an assembly line to shake someones hand and take a picture. Like Alice Cooper, $600 meet and greet a few months ago. I was Alice Coopers personal drive for 3 days last May, I got paid for that...No $600 needed :)

itschrome
04-06-10, 03:31 PM
wanna hear something stupid? My cousin paid $120 a ticket for him and his wife to see No Doubt. that is $120 a person for NO f'in Doubt. I mean really? I see lots of good shows every year and i refuse to pay over $40 and it better be a hell of a show. I also support local music more than anything else luckily there is alot of good music locally to support. But speaking of national acts, I see lots of random people who tend to be cheaper. In the last year i have seen: Delta spirit, deer tick, P funk(x2), meat puppets, slightly stoopid, John browns body, roots under ground, The wailers, MC chris (i know i know but it was fun!), Moby, third eye blind, donna and the buffalo, Dave Mathews Band, and there are other but i dont remeber then right now.. all for under $40.

dkozloski
04-06-10, 03:55 PM
The tickets cost whatever people will pay. It's as simple as that. If you want to dance or just listen to the music you have to pay the piper. If you can't afford it you need to find something else to do that's more in your price range.

orconn
04-06-10, 04:46 PM
As P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute."

Kick94sts
04-06-10, 04:48 PM
I paid $3 to see Bo Burnham, and $12 to see Silverstein lol

notld67
04-06-10, 05:16 PM
I go to alot of concerts...or "went". We now end up waiting for "deals" or Specials....I mean last year we got $5 tickets for Pitbull, $10 tickets to Bob Saget. Those deals have dried up. Some shows we sit in the 'lawn" no seat grass area 1/2 mile from the stage..causes its $25 as opposes to $200! I can justify spending up to $65 for certain shows, last year I paid $50 for an all day Disturbed show, that was worth it...Saw like 10 good bands. Slipknot is my band and I'll pay anything to see them(Vermillion part 2 is me and my wifes wedding song), sucker yes...

Eric Kahn
04-06-10, 05:27 PM
don't go to concerts anymore, for all the above reasons, I remember when you could wait in line overnight and buy front row seats when they went on sale in the morning, did that several times, not under ticketmaster though

CIWS
04-06-10, 05:34 PM
don't go to concerts anymore, for all the above reasons, I remember when you could wait in line overnight and buy front row seats when they went on sale in the morning, did that several times, not under ticketmaster though

:yeah:

Sucks for the groups I really like as I know that is more their main source of income vs song sales (via record companies). But between the venue choices now and pricing I just don't go.

itschrome
04-06-10, 05:56 PM

Yeah I miss that, but there also isn't any body id be willing to do that for now adays any ways. Last time i did that was for a korn/rob zombie show in '99. Kick ass show by the way. now i dont think you could pay me to see either.

notld67
04-06-10, 06:17 PM
Yeah I miss that, but there also isn't any body id be willing to do that for now adays any ways. Last time i did that was for a korn/rob zombie show in '99. Kick ass show by the way. now i dont think you could pay me to see either.

yeah...korn and zombie are touring this summer together to the tune of $86 a ticket with taxes fees:annoyed:

I went to that show in 99 though :yup:

slk230mb
04-07-10, 08:53 AM
The perfect example against TicketMaster was Pearl Jam. For years they never let TM sell tickets to their shows, and it was somewhat difficult to get tickets. Even they finally relented and now you can get PJ tickets on TM. You know a company has a stronghold on their market when you can complain all you want, and nothing gets changed. Just like ISPs like Verizon and Time Warner.

Jesda
04-07-10, 11:05 AM
The $76 I paid to see Kelly Clarkson was probably the best money I've ever spent on entertainment. :cool2: I even got within a few feet of her (before I was pepper sprayed and cuffed).

But if you just want good live music, cheap local acts FTW.

dkozloski
04-07-10, 11:45 AM
Musical peformers got cheated out of the revenue of CD and music sales by pirates and thieves on the internet. Now in order to make a decent living they have to rape the people that attend tours and concerts. It used to be that concerts and public appearance tours were intended to create interest in sales . Now it's a last ditch effort to survive. The entertainment world evolves.

tati25
04-07-10, 12:51 PM
decent living?

I can think of many names for the type of living they have, decent is not one of them. Don't worry that these overpriced concerts only happen with very wealthy artists, not those trying to make a living

Yes, concerts are overpriced.

itschrome
04-07-10, 12:53 PM
Musical peformers got cheated out of the revenue of CD and music sales by pirates and thieves on the internet. Now in order to make a decent living they have to rape the people that attend tours and concerts. It used to be that concerts and public appearance tours were intended to create interest in sales . Now it's a last ditch effort to survive. The entertainment world evolves.

thats actually not true at all. Preforming artists make very little money of each album sold. The percentage of the money that they make per cd sold is somewhere in the 3 to 5% range. The majority of their income comes from Licensing of their work. Followed by performances, followed by what ever money the record company gave them upfront to record the album (usually about 10 to 20k) and then royalties trickle in from album sales. Of course when an album is first released and sees a surge in sales as interest is gained the artist will see a large flow of royalties from sales, but that period only lasts for a few days to weeks. after that they slow down as people have the album and sales decline. How ever they will continue to see bulk earnings from licensing as radio stations, TV shows, movies use their work if they are lucky enough. They will also be preforming during this period which adds up. This is why you see a lot of uninformed new performers have huge money problems(rappers mostly). they get huge loans anticipating massive record sales and as a result huge profits. How ever since they make pennies on the dollar it doesn't work out well for them. Plus given the fact that rap act often have to preform in small clubs and venues and cant charge more then $15 to $20 at the door they never make up the difference. Unless they get the song licensed for radio, which given our example of rappers can be difficult. Then they have to try and get on TV and movies. If they manage that, then they will see the cash flow.

The people who really hurt from pirating are the record companies. which really, what ever. If I really like your music i will pay to see you. but often these days that is not the case, given how generic music is. How ever those whom i do like and feel would be worth seeing I make sure I do.

billc83
04-07-10, 01:01 PM
I had a LONG response, but I'm just leaving it at this:

The recording industry is BS.

itschrome
04-07-10, 01:25 PM

Best answer!! discussion over. :histeric:

dkozloski
04-07-10, 03:19 PM
Too many leeches stuck to each host(performer).

Jesda
04-07-10, 06:56 PM

Concise and very true.

StubHubECC
04-09-10, 02:58 PM
Hi! My name is Sue from Executive Customer Care at StubHub. We read your comments and would like to apologize for any frustration you may be having in purchasing tickets and the availability and pricing of tickets. I would also like an opportunity to address your concerns.

At StubHub we are fans like you and created our marketplace to bring fans together to buy and sell tickets. As we are the secondary market, we do not hold any ticket inventory and rely on our sellers to list tickets, fulfill orders, and set pricing. StubHub understands that at times, tickets are purchased in the primary market in order to be resold through the secondary market. While that can sometimes be the case, the fans selling tickets at StubHub might also be season ticket holders who cannot attend every game, ticket holders who have changed their plans or are unable to attend an event, etc. We are an open marketplace which means anyone call sell tickets through our website for Market Value. Market Value is usually determined by popularity of the event or seat location however pricing can also be dependent on different factors such as player/performer popularity, standings, ratings, and the location of events.

As the secondary market, StubHub does not have any affiliation any team, artist, venue, or other primary ticketing sources such as TicketMaster, with the exceptions of Major League Baseball and the Buffalo Sabres. In those cases, we are technologically integrated to be able to provided electronic tickets to buyers through our site. That said however, these partnerships have no impact on ticket pricing. Prices are always set by the individual sellers listing on StubHub and StubHub itself and our partnerships have no access to set prices.

If you would like further follow up or any assistance, please email me at yourfeedbackmatters AT stubhub DOT com, Attn: Sue and I will personally follow up with you.

Rolex
04-11-10, 12:01 AM
:food-snacking:

Rolex approved that post.^^^^

notld67
04-11-10, 04:32 PM
Hi! My name is Sue from Executive Customer Care at StubHub. We read your comments and would like to apologize for any frustration you may be having in purchasing tickets and the availability and pricing of tickets. I would also like an opportunity to address your concerns.

At StubHub we are fans like you and created our marketplace to bring fans together to buy and sell tickets. As we are the secondary market, we do not hold any ticket inventory and rely on our sellers to list tickets, fulfill orders, and set pricing. StubHub understands that at times, tickets are purchased in the primary market in order to be resold through the secondary market. While that can sometimes be the case, the fans selling tickets at StubHub might also be season ticket holders who cannot attend every game, ticket holders who have changed their plans or are unable to attend an event, etc. We are an open marketplace which means anyone call sell tickets through our website for Market Value. Market Value is usually determined by popularity of the event or seat location however pricing can also be dependent on different factors such as player/performer popularity, standings, ratings, and the location of events.

As the secondary market, StubHub does not have any affiliation any team, artist, venue, or other primary ticketing sources such as TicketMaster, with the exceptions of Major League Baseball and the Buffalo Sabres. In those cases, we are technologically integrated to be able to provided electronic tickets to buyers through our site. That said however, these partnerships have no impact on ticket pricing. Prices are always set by the individual sellers listing on StubHub and StubHub itself and our partnerships have no access to set prices.

If you would like further follow up or any assistance, please email me at yourfeedbackmatters AT stubhub DOT com, Attn: Sue and I will personally follow up with you.

Well Sue, allow me to retort your well orchestrated speech of bullshit. A huge amount of your so called no inventory is directly feed to you by the 1000+ ticket brokers around the USA. You take data feeds of the tickets owned by ticket brokers, mark the tickets up 15% and then sell those tickets to people who are shopping on Stubhub.com. Then you provide the ticket brokers with branded StubHub envelopes and materials to place in the Fedex envelopes that are shipped to the customer who bought the tickets. So the customer buying the tickets has no idea the tickets came from a ticket broker. Am I right yet? So StubHub takes a ticket that is available elsewhere for a lower price, marks it up and sells it to make a profit. And all the while, they are marketing themselves as the “fan to fan exchange”. you guys are full of shit and what is wrong with America. You may not "buy" the tickets but you help people rip everyone else off. That's like you saying "It's ok officer I only sold the crack I didn't make it". The simple fact is you help these brokers rip us off, 65-70% of concert tickets nowadays is sold to these so called "season holders". you know what these season holders are? Brokers who never go to a game. Its disgusting, your disgusting and god have mercy on your soul

I do admit fully I was wrong in my comment that stubhub is owned by ticketmaster...EBAY owns stubhub...even more convenient. Ticketmaster owns ticketsnow.com.

Stingroo
04-11-10, 04:45 PM
^ Stingroo detected copious amounts of venom in the above post.

[/third person Rolex]

Rolex
04-11-10, 07:55 PM

Stingroo
04-11-10, 08:01 PM

:food-snacking::food-snacking:

V-Eight
04-11-10, 09:58 PM
I love how many people actually monitor this site lol

Stingroo
04-11-10, 11:19 PM
Cause it owns.

tr's-cts
04-13-10, 05:17 PM
Well Sue, allow me to retort your well orchestrated speech of bullshit. A huge amount of your so called no inventory is directly feed to you by the 1000+ ticket brokers around the USA. You take data feeds of the tickets owned by ticket brokers, mark the tickets up 15% and then sell those tickets to people who are shopping on Stubhub.com. Then you provide the ticket brokers with branded StubHub envelopes and materials to place in the Fedex envelopes that are shipped to the customer who bought the tickets. So the customer buying the tickets has no idea the tickets came from a ticket broker. Am I right yet? So StubHub takes a ticket that is available elsewhere for a lower price, marks it up and sells it to make a profit. And all the while, they are marketing themselves as the “fan to fan exchange”. you guys are full of shit and what is wrong with America. You may not "buy" the tickets but you help people rip everyone else off. That's like you saying "It's ok officer I only sold the crack I didn't make it". The simple fact is you help these brokers rip us off, 65-70% of concert tickets nowadays is sold to these so called "season holders". you know what these season holders are? Brokers who never go to a game. Its disgusting, your disgusting and god have mercy on your soul

I do admit fully I was wrong in my comment that stubhub is owned by ticketmaster...EBAY owns stubhub...even more convenient. Ticketmaster owns ticketsnow.com.

Next !

tr's-cts
04-13-10, 05:28 PM
The last tickets I purchased was for Garth Brooks at Rosemont ( IL ). I think I paid $120 for four tickets. Before that it was Beach Boys and Chicago. Can't remember the goofy name of the auditorium.....It was west on 90 I think. AH.....Poplar Creek. I think those were $26 for 2 lawn seats.

I was reading something somewhere that some of the performers are forcing a $10 - $20 charge max. Granted they are not mainstream performers but I think that would give an idea as to where the "extra $$$ " is going.

just sayin.