: Who has bit the bullet on HD Service so far?

Playdrv4me
08-22-04, 03:05 AM
I decided to finally go for it. The receiver box with a built in DVR is just 9.95 a month, which is about what you pay for Tivo, and it performs the same basic function. Unfortunately my Cable bill keeps climbing, its now at about 89.00 a month, which I used to consider a rip, but im getting cable internet, HD Service, and Expanded service plus the DVR for that price through Time Warner. I currently have a 27 inch Samsung HD set but Im selling that and buying this new Sony 34 inch widescreen. I tried Plasma but found out they generally are not good for Black levels...

Sony KD-34XBR960
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2004/158/x158KV34XBR-o_MT.jpeg

caddyshack24
08-22-04, 08:18 AM
Me, Thats about what I'm paying.. Roadrunner and HDTV. Nice big Sanyo TV with the HD aware cable box. To bad there are only 10 channels broadcasting in HD.
Not even all the time, just when they feel like it.

One thing that really annoys me is that, you have video 2 for basic cable, and input 3 for HDTV signals. So ya gotta keep the TV remote around to switch it over else you end up with a crazy ratio and mad zooming. The said if you play it with the video not in full screen, it will mess your television up.

The quality is great though, was watching this little animal planet thing with some jungle scenery and started to drool. Not sure if its ready for prime time. HD capable TV's cost about $400 more than without. 2006 i think is when they mandate digital broadcasts. Then it will be good.

daacon
08-22-04, 10:38 AM
Sony makes a nice TV. I "bit the bullet" 3 years ago in November. I have a Hitachi 53udx10b (4:3 Ratio). I jumped the gun back then , and today I would definetley go Wide Screen (16:9).

You are fortunate in the states for your choice of providers. Here in Canada I have two choices. Bell (Satilite Provider) and Shaw Cable. Back then only Bell had HD so I went with them. Price is expensive as well, currently I pay about $90.00 mo and that is without internet (HD , movie channels, locals and networks) . not to mention the price of their receivers (I have a PVR and HD set me back about 1.5k for both). Shaw is catching up - I may switch (about the same price and I get Cable DSL )

THe HD content is getting better. The trouble is no standards. Regular bradcast come in 480i (Interlaced). There are some stations that broadcast in ED (Enhanced Definition 480p progessive), 720i and or 720p. True HD content is 1080i or 1080p. My TV will accept 540p (which is half 1080i ) and upconvert. Check with your provider to see what channels are what.

You have to play with TV and receiver conversion and aspects to get the picture your like. Like all technology the new TV's have DVI inputs. I only have composite which is still quite good (as well as RCA and S-Video).

One piece of advice is quality cables make a differnece. You don't need the most expensive , but don't get low end ones. If your TV upconverts signals , no real need to get a progressive DVD player.

The bigger the screen the more differnece HD makes , especially in sports. If you take a regualr 480i signal and stretch it to a 53 inch screen , the imperfections are magnified and the signla looks fadded and for most sports , long range shorts (like in football games) , TV seems blurry. In HD (I get Sunday night NFL in HD ) - IT IS AWSOME is all I can say. There are numerous HD and home theater forms (can you tell I am memeber :bonkers: )

Hopefully most TV will be HD in a few years. Bandwitdh is hthe current issue. (as HD obvioulsy takes more room down the pipe - so less channels ) so we will see. My satillite provider lauched another satillite last year so that helped. I hear Direct TV is pretty good and they have some state of art receivers (a PVR for HD ., a dual tuner PVR so you can record and watch live tv ..I am sooooo wating for those - my provider usually steals from Direct TV for hardware and is about 15 months behind in releasing it :rant2: )

Well 'nough said - in case you did not know here are some of the formats. Enjoy...

1080i

1080i is "crisp" and may be seen as "sharper" than 720P, but 720P has other advantages. See the FAQ on 1080i vs. 720P if you want more information on this subject.

720P

720P saves a bit of bandwidth and is also said to be "smoother" and "better" for sports programming.

480P (EDTV)

Only Fox uses EDTV, but even they will be switching to 720P later this year - likely in the fall.