: Engine Stall after hard driving

malibuandryan
04-05-10, 04:58 PM
For some reason when I decide to do some hard accelerations, the engine stalls after slowing down(around 10-20Mph).

Now that I think about it, the caddy has always stalled after hard accelerations. Heres what happens....anytime the tach goes above 4500 and beyond, the SES light comes on......and after coasting to about 10-20MPH it stalls.........Pulled codes and got p1599 and p0101......MAF and near engine stall........Ryan

1997 Concours

Submariner409
04-06-10, 09:12 AM
Sounds like the MAF is either very dirty, has an air leak at the throttlebody flange, or has lost one of the heated resistors which send air flow rate signals to the PCM for fuel/air mixture control.

Remove the intake ducting, unplug the MAF, and unbolt it from the TB. DO NOT mess with the flow straightener honeycomb. Clean the MAF carefully with TB spray cleaner and inspect the 3 heated resistors across the bridges. If one is broken (they're tiny, so use light and a magnifying glass) then the MAF is toast. If not, double check the electrical connector for cleanliness (also the IAT, near the filter box) and assemble, try it. If you still get MAF codes, replace it.......www.rockauto.com, your car/year/engine, emissions or fuel/air.

(While you're in there, how's the bore and butterfly in the TB ?? Bright and shiny or horrible goo ?? TB cleaner, toothbrush, care. Try not to get liquid cleaner into the manifold - stuff in a lint free rag if necessary and pull it with long needlenose pliers after cleaning........)

malibuandryan
04-10-10, 04:54 PM
Problem fixed.....MAF sensor was very dirty....ended up cleaning it with some alcohol. The throttle response is very responsive. Runs real good!!

Ranger
04-10-10, 10:28 PM
:hmm: Never heard of a dirty MAF. Wonder how that happened.

Submariner409
04-11-10, 12:42 PM
His MAF is bolted to the TB right at the butterfly, not in the air duct near the filter box like ours, so the earlier MAF's get all the vapor and nasties from that PCV line that dumps into the top of the TB just after the butterfly. They suffer from the same reasons that require more frequent TB cleaning than a 2000+.

........and in some of the earlier setups the IAT is in the duct near the filter box - the later setup puts the whole enchilada there.

Ranger
04-11-10, 10:27 PM
I know, my '97 was like that, but it's on the clean air side of the TB. None of the EGR or PCV gases should ever get to it. Never had to clean the one on my '97.