: Need to find a reputable transmission rebuilder

jimsbox
04-05-10, 02:54 PM
I need to find a reliable and reputable transmission rebuilder to either rebuild my 4t80e or to purchase a rebuilt unit from. I have checked ebay and there is a herd of them in Arizona but all of them have only a few feedbacks, one only had 1. That means to me either crooks that close down account and reopen a new one with ebay after trashing their reputation or else new and untried.

Thanks

Jim

cl1986
04-05-10, 03:35 PM
4T80's are uncommon to rebuild, they are very strong for the little power given to them.

The guy that was going to rebuild mine had only done 2 in the last 15 years. But if you find a shop that does 4L80's they should know how to do a 4T80

that and you havent given any location doesnt help anyone try to help you

jimsbox
04-05-10, 04:56 PM
Good point 1986. Thanks by the way for the lead you gave me for car-part.com. I am in Kansas City area, so within 200 miles or so of Tulsa, St Louis, Des Moines and Omaha. I am also willing to deal with shipping one if several people have had good results with a builder.

Thanks again

Jim

zonie77
04-06-10, 09:24 PM
If you have a lot of time and really want to do it go ahead. They are not that hard to replace should there be a problem. Lay everything out very carefully. Change anything that looks even slightly worn. Change everything in the kit (get a complete kit with new steel plates). If anything looks worn that is not planned to be changed I'd give my original answer again. Get a used one or a rebuilt with no core charge.

I would think there is a high performance rebuilder in your area.