: '72 Eldorado Fuel Filter-Engine won't Ignite

jace
08-21-04, 09:25 PM
Changed the fuel filter on my '72 Eldorado today. Cranked right up with new filter then died after 15sec and I have yet to get it started. It is the correct fuel filter. I placed the rubber gasket on new filter, fitted into fuel pump with gasket above flange, placed large outlet bolt on followed by outlet fuel line. What went wrong? I went back under the car to recheck. As expected, gas poured out when removing fuel outlet line and the new filter. I did not open the fuel line bolt next to carb because bolt was beginning to strip. I had a friend look into the carb when trying to start and did not see a fuel spray. Could the fuel pump ironically failed the same time i change the filter? or is it more likely my error. I have not run out of gas with this car so i'm not sure how many cranks it takes for fuel to reach carb and ignite. I tried about 10 and nothing. HELP!! all comments welcomed. Thank you in advance.

lux hauler
08-21-04, 09:33 PM
It may take a while to get fuel back to the carb. I would put a little gas directly in the carb then try it.....just be careful. Put the air cleaner back on incase it backfires. It may take a few times to get the fuel pumped back to the carb. Pump the pedal three or four times then hold the pedal to the floor and crank it.

jace
08-21-04, 09:46 PM
I did try a little gasolene directly into the carb( didn't have the filter on though, thanks for the warning) and didn't help. She ignited for a second but couldn't hold. How long are we talking about here, trying to start her? Should I just keep turning her over till she either ignites or the battery fails? did it sound to you that the filter was placed properly? Its hard to screw up a fuel filter, ya know. But I am human.

lux hauler
08-21-04, 10:35 PM
When you disconnect the fuel line from the carb, it can allow the fuel to go back to the tank. It can take quite a bit of cranking to get the fuel back to the carb. I'd try fuel in the carb a few more times.
Do a google search for a diagram for your carb. There are some fairly detailed diagrams that will show where everything goes.

barge master
08-23-04, 09:05 PM
You sure the filter isn't in backwards? Try taking it out altogether and see if it runs, or take the outlet line to the carb off and have someone crank it for a second to see if gas is coming out.

jk1000
08-24-04, 03:13 PM
You received good advice from all the previous posts.

Sometimes fuel systems can be a little difficult to prime. In such cases I have cut the fuel line near the carb (with a tiny tubing cutter, not a saw), attached a short length of fuel hose, and squirt fuel into the hose. You then splice the line back together with the hose and a couple of clamps. If you ever plan on rebuilding or removing the carb in the future this will make your life easier. I have always found it very difficult to unscrew the carb fuel connections while the carb was on the car.

In-the-pump fuel filters are not my favorite thing either. As a previous post mentioned, make sure it is in correctly and make sure the fuel hoses are not kinked.

I believe you will have success with the above procedure, but you may have to do it a few times.

If no other problems exist, I believe that your fuel pump may be weak. Stock Cadillac fuel pumps put out vast amounts of fuel. In years past I have checked quite a number and the fuel output is unreal even at cranking speed.
I'm sorry I cannot remember the exact specs. Whenever I did a carburetor rebuild I would always put the carb back into the car with zero fuel in the float bowl. It would always fire-up in less than 5 seconds of cranking. I also believe that the frequently heard complaint of "leaking float bowl plugs causing very difficult starting" is not the sole problem. I think it exists with a weak fuel pump and a misadjusted choke.

I guess I'm side tracking a bit. Sorry for the long post. You have a GREAT CAR and I wish you the best.