: replaced starter, now the engine runs like crap

jpfasch
04-03-10, 06:10 PM
I was having an intermittent starting problem with my 20001 dts that I have been trying to troubleshoot for some time now; anyway my grandfather in law shows up this am with a new starter and wants to fix it for us. To make a long story short instead of an intermittent starting problem, now I have a horrible idle and a completely undriveable car.

Pops was supposed to be a heck of a mechanic back in the day, but now he has left town, and I need some suggestions.

I pulled the codes earlier and there was probably twenty of them. They went by so fast I couldn't keep up. I will post them later if it will help.

I am hoping it is something simple any suggestions would be helpful.

Ranger
04-03-10, 06:14 PM
Hard to say without knowing what he did. He had to remove the manifold, so make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Be sure all the hoses and electrical connectors are back in place.

jpfasch
04-03-10, 06:34 PM
One of the vacuum lines was brittle and broke, and he kind of rigged it in there. Also the hose that goes under the intake manifold from the upper bank seems to just be floating loosely under the manifold.

Ranger
04-03-10, 06:37 PM
One of the vacuum lines was brittle and broke, and he kind of rigged it in there.
Replace that hose and check the others.

Also the hose that goes under the intake manifold from the upper bank seems to just be floating loosely under the manifold.
:hmm: Hose that goes under the intake?

jpfasch
04-03-10, 08:53 PM
Replace that hose and check the others.

:hmm: Hose that goes under the intake?

maybe from the pcv valve? I tried to upload a pic, but I guess it was too big.
It goes from the top of the head closest to the firewall, and routes under the intake manifold. The hose seems to be loose under the intake does it secure onto something under there?
Sorry for my ignorance here, I'm learning as I go with this car

Ranger
04-03-10, 08:58 PM
If it comes from the CAM cover, it sounds like it is the PCV and it should not go under the manifold. There is nothing to connect it to under there. I think it goes in the side of the TB if I remember correctly to into a manifold fitting. See if you can shrink the picture.

jpfasch
04-03-10, 09:40 PM

Ranger
04-03-10, 09:53 PM
OK, That IS the PCV line and it does not run "under" the manifold. It runs to a fitting in the tunnel in the manifold behind the P/S pump. Peek in there and be sure it is plugged in tight. I don't think it should be loose.

jpfasch
04-03-10, 10:41 PM
I went ahead and bought a subscription to all data since I could never find a shop manual on ebay for a decent price. I read this on all data
Important: Ensure the PCV valve hose is firmly connected to the fitting at the front of the intake manifold, prior to installation. So, hopefully that is culprit. Will keep you updated.

Ranger
04-03-10, 10:51 PM
Hell, that's what I just told you. Should have sent me the $25. :duck:

jpfasch
04-04-10, 03:18 AM
I know but it was reassuring to see it in big bold print . btw was only $19.95 with a coupon code(DIYSUMMER). I have gotten over a thousand dollars worth of advice from this forum, thanks for the help. I"ll let you know how it turns out.

jpfasch
04-05-10, 08:30 PM
fixed it yesterday, thanks for the help Ranger.

Ranger
04-05-10, 08:50 PM
Well, don't leave us in suspense. What was the problem? Loose PCV line?

jpfasch
04-06-10, 08:52 AM
Yep, that was it. The pcv hose connects to a fitting inside of the manifold that is impossible to see while its in place. I suppose now that I know where the fitting is, that I could possibly slide it on there without pulling everything off. But, I doubt it, and I'm not gonna try.

Submariner409
04-06-10, 10:26 AM
Like this.....................