: OBDII Communication Failure

GreenLade
04-03-10, 02:10 PM
Just took the truck to get the NYS inspection and it failed because the the car could not communicate with the state computer to run the emissions, anybody else ever had this. The tech said it could just be a fuse. Anyone know about this? It said the connectors are OK, but not communicating.

dixit
04-03-10, 03:21 PM
Its your 20Amp fuse under the hood. Its labelled I believe as LTR (for Cigarette Lighter) I believe. Im not in front of my car to know for sure. But i want to say the fuse is in the 50 range, its labelled as 50 or something. Take a look. That cigarette lighter fuse actually also controls the OBDII plug power, so if thats blown you cannot get the OBDII/CAN to talk to the computer because 12V is missing.

This will fix your problem for sure, just replace that burned out 20A fuse.

Dixit

LeftLane
04-03-10, 03:34 PM
All state inspections blows :jerkit:I'm so glad Ohio trashed ours :D

steve841
04-03-10, 07:07 PM
All state inspections blows :jerkit:I'm so glad Ohio trashed ours :D

DITTO for Florida!

What a joke that whole scam is !!!

GreenLade
04-03-10, 10:06 PM
Its your 20Amp fuse under the hood. Its labelled I believe as LTR (for Cigarette Lighter) I believe. Im not in front of my car to know for sure. But i want to say the fuse is in the 50 range, its labelled as 50 or something. Take a look. That cigarette lighter fuse actually also controls the OBDII plug power, so if thats blown you cannot get the OBDII/CAN to talk to the computer because 12V is missing.

Dixit

I forgot to put the year of the truck, it is an 07, do you think the same applies? Are 2nd gen Escalades the same with this as 3rd gen? Just wondering because my cousin has an 02 .

GreenLade
04-04-10, 11:56 AM

Dixit

You were right the fuse was blown, i will take it back to get re-inspected tomorrow and know for sure. Thanks for the info.

dixit
04-04-10, 01:30 PM
Good deal.

ewill3rd
04-04-10, 01:37 PM
The machine looks for power on pin 16 on the DLC (connector), if the fuse is blown it will fail for no communication.
On Escalade for some unknown (and stupid) reason they power the DLC with the same fuse that works the cigar lighter.
The cigar lighter in in an awful position on Escalade and it apparently has a coin magnet inside of it.

Coin + open cigar lighter socket = blown fuse.
I have lost count of how many times I have seen this happen.

GreenLade
04-04-10, 06:06 PM
Good to know, thanks.