: N2O in my '98 STS

speedyman_2
08-21-04, 04:32 PM
I bought this kit last week and took a lot of time thinking about the install. I like it a lot. Small shot and small capcity but when I don't need it, it's totally out of the way. Getting about 25HP right now. Not really noticable. I'm getting a bigger just soon which should get me 50-75HP. That's about as high as I think I should go on the stock motor.

Now you see it......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/speedy_2/DSC02576.jpg

Now you don't.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/speedy_2/DSC02575.jpg
;)

slk230mb
08-21-04, 05:48 PM
Any under the hood pics? Very clean install of the bottle. :2thumbs:

speedyman_2
08-21-04, 07:33 PM
Here ya go. It's a dry kit. Very simple to install.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/speedy_2/NOShoseroute.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/speedy_2/NOSintake.jpg

Mikethegreeat
08-21-04, 10:23 PM
how much did you pay for the kit? and where did you get it?

im sure you would be able to feel a difference if it was putting out an extra 25hp into the engine ???

speedyman_2
08-21-04, 10:31 PM
Just do a search for "Nitrous Express Incognito"
You can even look on ebay.

Only cost me $230.00
One problem I have found out it the bottle orientation.
The other is the Body location. Close to the fender. If I get hit..BOOM.
I might be moving this later. I would suggest anyone that does try this to locate their bottle in a more central location and tilt it at a 25 degree angle to prevent surging. I just learned this about 30 minutes ago. As for now, I'm going to drive with an empty bottle on the streets.

Mikethegreeat
08-21-04, 10:38 PM
sweet! Do you think i would be able to install this in my STS?

speedyman_2
08-21-04, 11:11 PM
Yes!! There are some more parts that you would have to buy. There is no bottle mount with the kit. And you'll need more line to reach the intake.

illumina
08-21-04, 11:29 PM
how much time will this shave off the quarter mile with your setup?

speedyman_2
08-22-04, 02:11 AM
how much time will this shave off the quarter mile with your setup?

I'm not sure. I only ran the 1/8 with this. And I only noticed about a .2 sec better 60ft time. Other than that I didn't notice anything. This kit with the biggest jet is only adding myabe 25HP. Not too much. I'm getting a bigger jet soon, which will bump it to 75HP. I'll post times with this jet. I'm sure they'll be much better. I ran a 9.8 on my first run, with cold tires.

foo
08-22-04, 09:40 PM
definitely let us know.. I want to put some in my 99 .

Has anyone gotten their heads ported on a northstar yet?

ShadowLvr400
08-23-04, 01:44 AM
Yes, did work on them, had some tuning to work on, needed an intake to supply the air the engine wanted. Car's dead though. At some place called Co-Parts in Orlando if you want to try for the engine.

Mikethegreeat
08-23-04, 02:33 AM
Yes, did work on them, had some tuning to work on, needed an intake to supply the air the engine wanted. Car's dead though. At some place called Co-Parts in Orlando if you want to try for the engine.

cars dead? what happened ?!

ShadowLvr400
08-23-04, 11:52 AM
Thought the death of the Eldo was old news by now... Wrecked, bad.

Story's on page 1. Pics on page 6.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/iceheart

STS 310
08-23-04, 02:35 PM
Damn sorry to hear about that Shadow, glad you are ok. Didnt remember seeing a thread or post with the news. Car is history, I know the feeling.
Well, whats next?

RLLOVETT
08-23-04, 02:43 PM
Ugly, man!! Sorry to hear it Care to share the gory details? Must have been quite a ride with both sides mangled...hope it wasn't one of those land speed record attempts you're famous for...

ShadowLvr400
08-23-04, 03:44 PM
Was a thread in Genr Discussion... but basiclly, had a tire give after dodging an animal, (bout 70 mph) slid, pass side hit a tree spun the car around and wrapped the driver's door around another tree. If it hadnt been the Eldo, as low as it sat, prolly woulda flipped. If the car wasnt as tough as it was, I'd prolly be dead. Driver's door got pressed into the driver's seat...

The car I replaced it with is a 96 Fleetwood. Some of you may have noticed I got bumped to modding the 5.0/5.7 Forums as well. LT1 :) Not really going for speed on this car.

foo
08-24-04, 09:59 AM
How much power did porting the heads give? I see one place claims 80 HP increase after porting the heads.. That sounds a bit far fetched to me but I e-mailed to double check and they confirmed it.. that's like adding a supercharger except it probably doesn't add as much low end grunt as a charger. Where did you get them ported at? who did it?

STS 310
08-24-04, 11:32 AM
Bumped to other forum huh? Dont be a stranger in Seville/Eldo forum ok.
And that Fleetwood is looking tight. Of course.

ShadowLvr400
08-24-04, 12:22 PM
Well, I wasnt seeing much of a gain, unless I got enough air in. Basically, I tried 1 run with no airbox at all, and I'd guess near 50-60 horses. But with the airbox on, 5-10, but better power all through. The motor was sucking more air than the intake could bring in.

foo
08-24-04, 12:35 PM
Hmm.. well I don't see any ported intakes for the northstar (at least nothing that would replace the factory one). I am thinking about porting the TB and i'm in the process of fabricating a custom intake hose. I also have corsa exhaust system and i'm in the process of fabricating a new y-pipe and looking for headers. HOw much did the head porting cost? and who did it? x-m-s says 84HP and it's $2700 which is hella steep for head work especially since you have to take off the heads and send them.

ShadowLvr400
08-24-04, 03:32 PM
I received a set of "ported" heads from XMS. They were useless. Less than. Had to send them back. The work I ended up having done was by Hart's Machine Shop in Titusville, FL. They were about $1000 just for the flow bench time, and the porting work. They came out very nice, and were flowing 15% better than stock overall on the bench. But, as I said, my airbox wasnt supplying enough air to feed them. My heads probably would have delighted if I'd sprayed with them, but never did. Ah well.

foo
08-24-04, 04:20 PM
How can XMS advertise 84hp and charge 2700$ and not give you anything? I talked to the guy and he said they get ported, valves get worked, and a few other things. I'd like to get a little more compression going too. What was done to the heads u got from XMS? I assume you sent yours there and they sent them back ? (do you have AIM or something.. maybe we can continue this in a chat :> )

ShadowLvr400
08-24-04, 05:51 PM
My AiM's same as my acct here. As for the heads, he was going to send a set of worked ones, I'd send my stockers back... The heads I got, were basically stocks cleaned up a bit. But not much.

speedyman_2
09-12-04, 02:59 AM
Here's how I did against a Lightly Modded Mustang GT.

Caddy vs. Stang (http://www.angelfire.com/ultra2/valencialuis/index.html)

Click the Caddy vs Stang link on that page.

Mikethegreeat
09-12-04, 04:12 AM
Here's how I did against a Lightly Modded Mustang GT.

Caddy vs. Stang (http://www.angelfire.com/ultra2/valencialuis/index.html)

Click the Caddy vs Stang link on that page.

Awsome videos doode, what video editing software did you use? Love how the tires chirping into 2nd gear.

With me I would have to leave the gear selector in 1st and mash it from 40mph..Itíll spin and then bark in to 2nd gear...grabbing every morsel of RPM. Could be that my tires suck, but Iíd like to think that my cars just too powerful for the Ďdecentí tires :D

foo
09-12-04, 10:44 PM
Are those videos with or without using the NoS? :)
and what is your 60' time? I think these cars are in desperate need of a much higher stall torque converter :/

ShadowLvr400
09-12-04, 11:29 PM
Are those videos with or without using the NoS? :)
and what is your 60' time? I think these cars are in desperate need of a much higher stall torque converter :/

Sadly, I think one of the best 60' times still goes to me with a 2.23 from my late Eldo. There may be someone who has quicker, and I kinda hope so, but I cant remember seeing it.

speedyman_2
09-13-04, 02:33 AM
My best recorded 60 ft was 2.4
But, in that vid they weren't printing time slips. I'm not sure it was any better with the N2O because I felt alot of wheel spin. And yes, these cars need higher stall converters. I can barely stall over 1500 before it wants to spin. And on my last run I tried to stall to high and moved up and red lighted :(