: I am swapping my engine for one of Jake's, how hard to rebuild tranny myself?

jimsbox
04-02-10, 11:17 PM
2000 DHS, 280,000 miles tranny and engine never opened up, daily driver, approx 800-1000 miles per week.

I am going to swap out my engine for one of Jake's and think it might be worthwhile to overhaul or have overhauled my transmission. I have pulled engines on MGB's and pretty much everything but worked on transmissions at one time or another. What do you think, is it reasonable or stupid?

Thanks in advance, don't spare my feelings.

Jim

Ranger
04-02-10, 11:22 PM
280,000 miles tranny and engine never opened up
:thumbsup:

The 4T80E is pretty reliable, but that is a LOT of miles on it. It's a gamble either way.

jimsbox
04-02-10, 11:49 PM
Yes, it drives fine, gets the p0741 error but yesterday drove it from Kansas City to Ames IA and back (27mpg going up with tail wind and 23 to 24 back with headwind) This is a pretty typical trip for me once or twice a week. I am just doing this stuff because of the mileage and I don't trust Aamco and don't know any of the other rebuilders around here to do the tranny. Jake is a no brainer, do you know anyone like him doing trannies? I am going to redo the front suspension, steering etc also while the carrier is out of the car.

Jim

stoveguyy
04-03-10, 10:23 AM
there are tons of vehicles in junkyards. how about getting a used tranny for less than $1k. should be easy to find a low mileage unit. go from 280k to 70k?

jimsbox
04-03-10, 11:33 AM
Stoveguyy,

Thats not a bad idea, I hadn't considered it. I have had excellent luck with this engine and tranny but I am going to keep that idea in mind for now.

Thanks.

Jim

zonie77
04-04-10, 11:44 AM
If you've never built a trans I'd have to advise against it. Getting a lower mile used one would be a better option. I'm usually not in favor of used parts but I'd make an exception for the trans .

Ranger
04-04-10, 12:26 PM
I think I'd lean towards a junkyard tranny as well.

cl1986
04-05-10, 12:06 AM
I just tore my 4T80 down for scrap......i dont recommed rebuilding this one if its your first one......

zonie77
04-05-10, 12:29 PM
With that many miles I would think you will find wear on a lit of hard parts that are not normally changed. Buying just one or two of them could raise the price past a used one.

It sounds like you have not built a trans before. Not terribly difficult but sometimes you get bit by wear that only an experienced installer knows about. Surf around some trans sites and see if you can find a tutorial to rebuild it.

jimsbox
04-05-10, 01:17 PM
I am leaning more towards getting a rebuilt one. I don't know anyone that has had a good experience with Aamco or Cottman. Does anyone know someone that has a very good reputation for rebuilding 4t80e's? I would consider having one shipped to me.

I am also picking up a copy of gm's 3.5 hr 4t80e training cd as well as a guy on ebay has a bunch of notes and some scanned material from when he was rebuilding trannies. He has excellent feedback. I respect the advice I am getting and so I am going to make sure I don;t get in over my head. I have been an electronics tech most of my adult life and work on electro mechanical devices so I am pretty adept, but rightly spoken I have never seen the inside of an automatic transmission.

stoveguyy
04-05-10, 01:30 PM
2k deville, trans 76k miles, $500. local parts yard. just looked it up. computers are great at finding parts.

jimsbox
04-05-10, 01:59 PM
Was that local to kansas city? I have been searching craigs list and not found anything yet. I am also keeping an eye on ebay. How did you find that one? I haven't done much with junk yards since long before they stopped being called junk yards and became "automotive recyclers" lol. Seriously, is there any kind of site that networks these yards so you can do a search within an area? I am also looking into rebuilt, low mileage used, or maybe attempting to rebuild myself, can always go the scrap yard route if it doesn't work out. Still keeping options open.

By the way Stoveguyy and everyone else, thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

cl1986
04-05-10, 02:17 PM
car-part.com i believe

jimsbox
04-05-10, 03:51 PM
cl1986,

COOL SITE! That makes searching for a yard tranny much more realistic. I am not so interested in going cheap as making sure I get a quality product into my car, hence why I am considering rebuilding myself, but a low mileage factory built tranny is an attractive alternative now that I have a reasonable way to research them.

Thanks again everybody. What do you think of my reading up before deciding whether to attempt rebuild? Am I on a naive fool's errand? I am used to doing fine work using technical manuals and can take my time. Additionally, my wife works for one of the biggest auto parts box stores and typically I can get my parts for 1/3 to half off retail.

Bottom line I just want a tranny that will go another trouble free 200,000 miles but without getting raped by GM.

Have a good one all.

tateos
04-05-10, 04:28 PM
cl1986,

COOL SITE! That makes searching for a yard tranny much more realistic. I am not so interested in going cheap as making sure I get a quality product into my car, hence why I am considering rebuilding myself, but a low mileage factory built tranny is an attractive alternative now that I have a reasonable way to research them.

Thanks again everybody. What do you think of my reading up before deciding whether to attempt rebuild? Am I on a naive fool's errand? I am used to doing fine work using technical manuals and can take my time. Additionally, my wife works for one of the biggest auto parts box stores and typically I can get my parts for 1/3 to half off retail.

Bottom line I just want a tranny that will go another trouble free 200,000 miles but without getting raped by GM.

Have a good one all.

Doesn't sound to me like GM raped you the first time around

jimsbox
04-05-10, 04:41 PM
Tateos,

What's your point, buy new from GM and pay north of double to say it came from GM?

Ranger
04-05-10, 06:16 PM
http://www.lkqonline.com/
http://www.yanceyauto.com/

jimsbox
04-05-10, 07:40 PM
Well,

I just got through thumbing through the 4t80 manual and while it looks doable it looks to have many places to misinstall checball or misadjust an endplay, etc and I wouldn't know it till it was back in the car. I think I am going to plan b or c (low mileage junkyard tranny or prtofessional rebuild)

Its amazing how a simple perusal of 120 pages can take the wind out of you sails!

Ranger
04-05-10, 07:52 PM
Its amazing how a simple perusal of 120 pages can take the wind out of you sails!
Hehe. Ain't it the true. Discretion is the better part of valor.

tateos
04-05-10, 07:54 PM
Tateos,

What's your point, buy new from GM and pay north of double to say it came from GM?

What's your point, buy new from GM and pay north of double to say it came from GM?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a recommendation, but my point is that you have received very good service from the trans that came from GM, and if you want to duplicate the experience, maybe you should consider duplicating the source? You're putting a brand new engine in, right? You're changing a bunch of other stuff while you're at it, so you will feel like everything is bulletproof, right? If you only have to pay double for brand new, that doesn't seem too bad.

That said, when the first engine (well actually the second engine, but that's another story) in my ETC HG failed, I had a used engine installed, and although my trans worked fine for the most part, it had a P0741 problem also. With 121K miles on the trans, I had them install a used known good trans with 69K miles on it - the shop picked one up for $400 - or at least that is what they told me (seemed more than fair at the time). That was 4 years ago. The used engine's HG failed after about 2 years/23K miles, but the trans was still good, so I re-installed the same trans after dropping the cradle and "inserting" the engine. I also replaced the steering rack with a rebuilt. The car now has 158K miles on it - trans is still good - so is the engine.

cl1986
04-05-10, 08:18 PM
rock auto sells them for $1400 i think, funny how ALOT of people on here pay over $2000 for a rebuild, then another $1000-$1500 for labor, man they are getting screwed.

jimsbox
04-05-10, 08:23 PM
Hi Tateos,

Sorry, I misinterpreted your previous comment about gm as sarcasm. I understand what you mean but putting in that much more money is out of the question. I have to agree though, obviously I have a great deal of confidence in this vehicle or I wouldn't be rebuilding the drive train, suspension, steering, etc. This tranny has been nothing but reliable (exc of course the TCC issue) and my engine likewise, but now the engine is smoking a bit, uses coolant (possibly the crossover gaskets) using oil at an increasing rate but it has never failed to start nor left me stranded anywhere. There is not much to criticize in a design that can go nearly 300,000 miles with that record and still ready to go crosscountry in the morning.

I will probably follow your lead in finding a low mileage(under 80,000) transmission and drop it in with a new torque converter and TCC solenoid, input speed sensor and anything else that may make sense at the time. Hopefully it will remain reliable for another 150 to 200,000 miles and I can put it out to pasture.

Do you know if later VIN Y transmissions are compatible and if so which ones, maybe I can get one with under 50k that way.

Thanks and take care,

Jim

tateos
04-06-10, 12:08 PM
Sorry Jim, but I don't know what the interchange possibilities are - I think they may be rather extensive - more so than with the engines. I'm sure someone else will let us all know.

Yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic, but it's interesting how things in writing can be misinterpreted. Best of luck to you in your endeavor to keep your car on the road as long as possible.

cl1986
04-06-10, 03:27 PM
when you put your model into car-part it lists several years of trans that will work in your car, broaden the search area and that will basically give you your interchange answer, most trans i found on there are from deviles....go figure most people just throw devilles away as they arent worth anything. But even when searching for a eldo trans, it brings up devilles to choose from.

zonie77
04-06-10, 05:34 PM
I am leaning more towards getting a rebuilt one. I don't know anyone that has had a good experience with Aamco or Cottman. Does anyone know someone that has a very good reputation for rebuilding 4t80e's? I would consider having one shipped to me.

I am also picking up a copy of gm's 3.5 hr 4t80e training cd as well as a guy on ebay has a bunch of notes and some scanned material from when he was rebuilding trannies. He has excellent feedback. I respect the advice I am getting and so I am going to make sure I don;t get in over my head. I have been an electronics tech most of my adult life and work on electro mechanical devices so I am pretty adept, but rightly spoken I have never seen the inside of an automatic transmission.

Chain trans shops do not have a good reputation for price vs quality.
I don't know anyone who brags about going there.

Like I told you before, you could probably do it. Will you know everything to look for? Probably not. Is it worth it? Probably not.

If it was me I would look for a used one. The only advice on that is do not believe the mileage they tell you unless it's still in the car. How many 60K mile Caddys are out there? Look at the condition of the trans. Pull the trans pan off. They all will have some metallic sludge. It's hard to tell you how much is OK but it shouldn't be 1/4" thick.

KHE
04-07-10, 09:09 PM
I second the advice about not trusting the mileage that a junkyard says is on the trans... Last fall, I caught a junkyard trying to pass off a 185,000 mile engine as 120,000 miles... I passed on that engine and kept looking.

Ranger
04-07-10, 09:59 PM
All junkyard engines and transmissions seem to have around 60K on them. Funny how that happens.

zonie77
04-07-10, 10:29 PM
I'm pretty sure all the transmissions that have the same exact plug interchange.

stngh8r
04-08-10, 01:12 PM
Doesn't sound to me like GM raped you the first time around

hmm? Good point.