Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  CAMRO69-CADILLAC05 
#1 ·
Just finished everything up today. We installed the UUC motor mounts and trans mounts that have been in my sig for almost a year :duck: and put in the Fidanza twin disk 6.5 kit from Adam at LSX Performance. Also got my new Yoko Advan Neova AD08s mounted.

As I said in an earlier post, the Fidanza looks like a quality piece. The shop "bench built" it ahead of time to make sure they understood everything fit wise. The install is pretty straight forward. The kit had everything required except the spacer bolts which I understand will be provided in the future kits. The jap trans fluid (Enos?) is good stuff and you can feel the difference with this synthetic. The remote bleeder valve is long enough to stretch around the world twice. I wound up tie straping it up top in the center of the fire wall near the intake manifold until I figure something out.

Now for the good part. The clutch is everything I expected. Pedal effort is only slightly stiffer than stock. There is absolutely no noise coming from the twin when the car is stationary at idle that I can hear at all (a previous trademark of a twin with a floater plate). The engagement seems to be a little lower than stock. When I first backed the car off the lift, I was trying to slip the clutch a bit to much not knowiing what to expect. Engagement is quick but the strange thing is that the lurch is not there. In 10 minutes I could drive this clutch without my passenger feeling the shifts if I chose to drive it smoothly. Shift it fast and it just grabs and hooks up smoothly and positive like a Porsche PDK set up. ( I drove the Audi version of this and they feel kind of similar engagement wise). Make no mistake this is a performance clutch and it will appeal to the more skillful, but it is completely accepatable as a daily driver in my opinion. This is what will feel strange at first.

1) With 40 lbs out of the drive train the car will bounce of the rev limiter in a flash. Watch the tach until you get used to it. The car feels 500 lbs lighter.

2) This clutch can be driven pretty smooth without slipping it. In fact I don't think it likes to be slipped that much The trick is to find the place and the speed to release the pedal. It takes only a short time to get used to it. You don't need to give it the beans to take off smoothly from a stop. I always wondered if this is because the first disk engages slightly faster than the second.

3) Engagement is quick and solid. Those pregnant pauses you used to do to wait for the revs to collapse so you can shift smoother are gone. You can shift faster not harder.

Since my V now has a more lighter and more solid drive train (thanks Luke and UUC), the car is really alot more fun to drive. The UUC mounts are awesome. I had some concerns about reports we were getting on vibration. I honestly cannot tell any difference from stock. Now, I am "weak sauce" because my motor mounts look perfect after 31k and my megadeath dual mass clutch looked like it could go another 30K easily, so I'm coming from a car that was pretty solid to begin with. All in all I am not disappointed so far with the Fidanza twin or the UUC mounts. If it stays like it was the first day I drove it, I would highly recommend it.

PS The Yokos are a game changer over my F1 runflats. The car rides like a dream. I haven't pushed them yet but I hope they are all that they say they are.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been waiting for a review on this. Awesome review. Does your V feel faster with the regained power?

#3 ·
I've made quite a few mods this time, mounts, clutch and tires that I'm enjoying my new car. It "feels" faster for sure. It revs so much faster that I kept tagging the rev limiter in second when I was testing it. I may get to the dyno tomorrow if the guy ahead of me gets done early and we can see some numbers, otherwise I have to wait until Tuesday.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Congratulations on new clutch set up. I hope I don't need one for awhile but I've been intrigued by the twin-disk concept for some time.

The feedback on the UUC motor mounts was timely given all the alternatives that have become available since I bought mine. (I am about to knock the dust off and install them.)

#7 ·
Thanks. Twins are the hot lick right now. Standard on the Viper and ZR1 since they've come up with great driveability twins. It's the "activation window" as I heard somebody call it that makes it unique. 10 4 on the UUC stuff. I was tentative as well after all the new products showed up. Truth is, it's probably all good stuff and it shouldn't be an all or nothing proposition with any vendor.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info. Does it feel like it would drive well on a hill, as in stopped at a light on an incline? Does it require more gas pedal to move from a light? Asking about your impression of daily driving abilities without really having to concentrate on how you're manipulating the pedals.

#9 ·
Well right now I'm kinda focused on the different feel of the whole package. It doesn't take much more gas as it does more modulation of the clutch pedal when pulling out form a stop. You can master it in no time. I haven't been on a hill yet but I'll keep you posted as I get some more miles under my belt. My first impression still is that the clutch is very streetable. No performance clutch will be a smooth as the dual mass stocker probably, but I've got to say I wouldn't be afraid to drive it anywhere. Also the clutch is still not broken in so I'm expecting it to improve even more.

#10 ·
Great review! I want one.

#13 ·
It sounds like from his post above yours that it is good for daily driving.

#14 ·
I would say that this is not a replacement for a stock clutch, but it is great choice for a performance upgrade clutch with great driveability.
One more update. Idling with the windows up and the accessories off while parked in an enclosed space like a garage, you may hear a very faint mechanical whirring noise. Once under way it's gone. Believe me, unless you were looking for it like me, you wouldn't notice. Now, my car has headers so there is some noise to begin with.
The other thing I 've had the pleasure to find out recently about this clutch is that it hooks up like a bitch. When you put this thing to work it will not disappoint you. I'm just afraid I won't make it through the break in period this thing is such a kick.

#16 ·
Mike, thanks for the post! I just wanted to add. I personally put this kit together because I knew it would be the best clutch option out there for the CTS-V. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip. I drove from Minneapolis to Texas, drove in Texas for a full week +1 day (8-days) and drove back to Minneapolis from Texas. While I was in Texas, I drove from Dallas to Houston which is about 4.5 hours in itself. I put about 3,000 + miles on this car in one week.

The whole time, I swear on anything, I forgot I had a twin disk in the car. Not once did I get stuck in traffic and complain about the clutch. I was in traffic in Kansas City, Oklahoma City (Yes, seriously lol) Dallas, and Houston. Like I said, not once did I notice I had a twin disk in the car.

And, after all those miles the car still feels like it did the day I install it. Getting off the highway I hit it from a light and chirped all the way to third gear!

For anyone looking for information, please check out my two post regarding the twin. Their is a lot more information and pricing in the threads I have up in the performance section, one is above. The other I will add later as I am on a crappy network right now and I'm hoping this post goes through! Haha

-Adam

#18 ·
Gotta stop reading these clutch threads....

#19 ·
Stop reading.... start spending. Put that Maggie to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.