: Anyone have the stock intake tube collapse?

Easy2speed
04-02-10, 01:23 PM
I've got the W4M 9.5 pulley, heat exchanger, and tune on my 6-speed manual CTS-V. The car seems to fall on its face and feels like all the timing is being pulled. Jesse thinks the stock intake tube is collapsing. Anyone have the 9.5 pulley and heat exchanger with the stock intake tube? Any issues? I've only had this on the car since last night. It was fine last night, but this morning it started to fall on its face. The car has 4,000 miles.

Gary Wells
04-02-10, 01:33 PM
Yes, has happened before, might want to do a search or contact Jesse.

Easy2speed
04-02-10, 01:38 PM
Yes, has happened before, might want to do a search or contact Jesse.

He says he has no idea why it is happening. That's why I am asking here.

Ross L
04-02-10, 02:27 PM
So confused.... First post; jessie said the stock tube is collapsing. Second post; Jessie has no idea what's happening. Anyway, did you refuel and possible get bad or low octane gas? Did you do the Stock airbox mod( if not, probably need to).

Easy2speed
04-02-10, 02:52 PM
Jesse said he had no idea, but then he said the only thing would be the stock intake is collapsing. When I called him back later to order it, he said, "why didn't you get the intake with your pulley?" I had already asked him several times through email if it was needed and he would never respond.

Just to recap: So when I first tell him about the problem he has no idea unless it is the stock tube collapsing. Then on the 2nd call ~30 mins later, he acts like everyone knows that you have to have the intake with the pulley. :cookoo: I'm tired of him talking to me like I am a dumbass evertime I call.

He needs to hire someone else if he is really this busy. He claims he gets 400 emails a day, and he can't respond to them all. BUT, he answers every one I send that I am asking to purchase something.

I'm seriously contemplating taking everything off the car and just keeping it stock because of all the crap I am running into. I just want the car to run right. When it has this issue - whatever is causing it - the car is slower than a Prius.

Ross L
04-02-10, 03:04 PM
What rpm is the car losing power? Did you do the air box modification?

Ross L
04-02-10, 03:08 PM
also, I've read about people having an issue with not getting the air out of the system when adding a additional heat exchanger. That would cause the car to heat soak quick, pull timing ect,,, Just guessing

Easy2speed
04-02-10, 03:16 PM
also, I've read about people having an issue with not getting the air out of the system when adding a additional heat exchanger. That would cause the car to heat soak quick, pull timing ect,,, Just guessing

It seems to do it in the upper rpms. Above 5000rpm. We made sure the heat exchanger didn't have an air pocket.

Ross L
04-02-10, 03:18 PM
did you cut the bottom out of the stock air box?

Easy2speed
04-02-10, 03:34 PM
did you cut the bottom out of the stock air box?

No, I just ordered the w4m intake. Now Jesse thinks it's the p valve. I'd never heard of it, so I did a search but I haven't found specific instructions on how to get it plugged yet. Still looking...

GMX322V S/C
04-02-10, 05:09 PM
Way back when (like the end of 2008), Jesse said the stock intake tube would collapse when you were putting down over 600 RWHP or so--when the bottom was cut out of the stock airbox. You may be collapsing it due to the pulley trying to draw in more air through the restrictive stock air opening. Might be worth trying a few runs with the airbox cover removed.

Gary Wells
04-02-10, 07:20 PM
Might want to consider talking to James at D3. Somebody on here a while back came up with some ingenious method of stopping this issue, and I believe that it had to do with placing some type of spring inside the stock tube.

Gary Wells
04-02-10, 07:55 PM
Might want to read through here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/162036-bone-stock-car-dyno-hit-568-a.html

CadV
04-02-10, 08:19 PM
No, I just ordered the w4m intake. Now Jesse thinks it's the p valve. I'd never heard of it, so I did a search but I haven't found specific instructions on how to get it plugged yet. Still looking...

It's not the tube that's collapsing its your stock box. You need to do the stock box mod.

Easy2speed
04-02-10, 08:27 PM
It's not the tube that's collapsing its your stock box. You need to do the stock box mod.

Okay, will do tonight. I saw your thread write-up. Thanks for a good detailed instruction guide.

v4meinsandiego
04-03-10, 12:09 PM
I have your same set up exactly but i modded my air box. Car runs like a beast. No problems on my end.

Easy2speed
04-08-10, 11:01 PM
Thanks to Jesse I got the car fixed. The stock tube was collapsing. Jesse sent me the upgraded intake pipe and it worked. I'm stoked!

Tony407
04-09-10, 02:10 AM

How in the world does the box collapse? Tube, no problem...I can see that. But what exactly on the box is there to collapse?

Tony

CadV
04-09-10, 03:50 AM
Thanks to Jesse I got the car fixed. The stock tube was collapsing. Jesse sent me the upgraded intake pipe and it worked. I'm stoked!

Stock tube collapsing is a symptom, the cause is restriction on the other end. Just like sucking through a straw there is no way to make it collapse unless you obstruct the other end.

CadV
04-09-10, 03:52 AM
How in the world does the box collapse? Tube, no problem...I can see that. But what exactly on the box is there to collapse?

Tony

This has been discussed at length, take yours out and you will see.

Tony407
04-09-10, 04:02 AM

Wow. Get some sleep, maybe you'll wake up in a better mood. :canttalk:

Tony

DrumStix
04-09-10, 09:17 AM

Oh JFC. I think it's the air filter tie down switch. Quick, gimme a left handed metric crescent wrench and I'll fix 'er right yup.

To plug the X > P ports I just went to Pep Brothers and got a set of vacuum caps for like a buck n a half. I removed the ~4" (length) X > P line from the car and capped it at both ends. I may have gotten a tad more bottom end but nothing else with stock pulleys. That's changing next month so I need to be sure I can go over 12 lbs.

DrumStix
04-09-10, 09:18 AM

What, the box collapsing, lol. :cookoo: First topic I've seen on it in two years.

CadV
04-09-10, 04:22 PM
Wow. Get some sleep, maybe you'll wake up in a better mood. :canttalk:

Tony

Hahaha

CadV
04-09-10, 04:25 PM
What, the box collapsing, lol. :cookoo: First topic I've seen on it in two years.

Well you must of not been looking hard enough. The scoop will close shut, that is why everyone modded the box.

http://i42.tinypic.com/5dqgd2.jpg

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/158582-wait4me-airbox-mod-installation.html

CadV
04-09-10, 04:28 PM
Look at Lunds 800hp race car and the stock tube is on it. The restriction is the airbox that is why everyone is modding it.