: What I did on Summer Holidays

daacon
08-21-04, 09:45 AM
I will tell ya - White water rafting is something I will do again. The rivers we went down are rated 3 and 4 (on a scale of 5 - all rapids are rated a 6 until someone goes down them in a raft).

Drove though some of the most unspoiled country on earth - Rocky Mountains - wicked mountain roads (numerous 180 degree turns , 500 -1000 foot drop offs - scenery was spectacular) - that is me in the front of the raft , my wife behind me and my two kids are the first two on the other side....

Here is a pic ...so what did you do ?

RBraczyk
08-21-04, 10:26 AM
Whole lotta... nothin

tru504187211
08-21-04, 10:46 AM
I've had enough of all that playing around and stuff for holidays...graduated from college = I don't like to move around that much anymore. My holidays were spent looking for a job or studying for an exam. I would celebrate howevever every weekend with lots and lots of Hennessy.

Sandy
08-21-04, 11:54 AM
Much of nuttin' :)

Attended a couple of early evening car shows. Washed & waxed my 1993 Sixty Special & '03 Town Car, and my son's '01 Jeep Cherokee. Quit Smoking after 35+ years. Missed my 20 y.o. son away at college (summer courses). Drove down to see him once. Paid bills. 'Bout it. Life gets boring after 45/50

daacon
08-21-04, 12:16 PM
Much of nuttin' :) Life gets boring after 45/50

Gawd I hope not !!! I am almost 46 and still like to have fun and try new things. Come on Sandy ...tell me there's hope :basketcas There are many days during the year I do a whole lotta nothing - like to get in a least a week a year to try soemthing new ....Life is short ...enjoy !!! and congrats on quiting smoking that is huge :2thumbs:

I think life is what we make it. For me da kids are getting to the age they will not want to go on too many more family vacations - once that happens , I am hoping the wife and I start to hit places with little umbrellas in the drinks , sandy beaches and then I wil enjoy doing a whole lotta nothing ....(naaww probably still wanna try scuba diving , love to Sea-Doo .....)

RBraczyk
08-21-04, 12:33 PM
There are few things in life that are more enjoyable than a jet ski....

Sandy
08-21-04, 12:56 PM
DAACON, I'm 11 years older than you. Advice? DO "IT" NOW !! Now, baby, now as in tomorrow > !!!! 'Round 'bout 50-ish to like 53 the bones begin to hurt & protest at physical activity that lasts longer than 15 minutes. The heat & humidity play a larger factor in your comfort, but the cold weather is less bothersome than your remember it to have been years prior.
Diets become VERY restrictive.
Etc Etc, & it don't mean Eldorado Touring Coupe here!! (and I'm in very good health ~ so long as I take my 8 pills a day! ;)

daacon
08-21-04, 02:43 PM
DAACON, I'm 11 years older than you. Advice? DO "IT" NOW !! Now, baby, now as in tomorrow > !!!!

Yeah I hear that - I cannot drink hard liquor any more. I throw my back out about once a year - and if I get hurt playing Softball (threw my arm out about two weeks ago) , I take months to heal .. :helpless:

I hope to continue to play ball until my late 50's. I have slowed down (don't play baseket ball any more in the winter other than a pick up game or so) ....Like I said when I am your age and the kids have finished University (I hope ...) and I have any money left over - my activities will include travel to really warm places ..........and a newer Cadillac :D

majax
08-21-04, 02:45 PM
I've got a 83 year old grandpa that says he feels as good as he did when he was 20, maybe he felt like like crap at 20 ;). I've really yet to meet anyone in their 50's that arent doin pretty good. Sorry about that arthritous Sandy.

Well this summer I took Drivers ed and completed it at the top of my class, I'm #1 Baby! Then last week I went up North to Couer d' Alene for a weekend. Oh, and I alsow went to Mary Hill mansion which is Sam Hills home, ever hear the expression "what in the same hill." Its called MaryHilll cause he named it after his wife. The place is now a museum.

Sandy
08-21-04, 04:04 PM
Send kids to STATE SCHOOL, if they are not getting scholorship! My son dreamed of a certain school, so I let him go there. Since I have but 1 child, I figured "what the heck". Well.....it's $33,000 a year ! $132,000 for 4 years. It's 2 miles away from a state school. Know what? 50% of the professors that teach at my kid's college, ALSO teach at the state school!! State school is also a VERY well respected colege! Actually 1 of the highest rated State Schools in the NY NJ PA area! Tuition there? $16,000 a year, or $17,000 LESS per year = $68,000 LESS for the 4-years!! DUH :hmm:
Kids enter dumb, - - parents well off. Kids graduate smart, - - parents poor :helpless:

Ralph
08-21-04, 04:13 PM
You went to the Rockies and didn't bother stopping in to see your buddy Ralph! :crying:

I know all about the bone and joint issue. When I hit 34 I had an arthritic virus that left me paralyzed for 7 weeks! Eventually it subsided, but it stayed in my left knee and back. It was very stressful on my Fiance at the time, and I think she almost left me. I know what Sandy means because I've experienced what it's like to be 100!

LIVE NOW RB, youth is wasted on the young! ;)

daacon
08-21-04, 05:49 PM
You went to the Rockies and didn't bother stopping in to see your buddy Ralph! :crying: I know all about the bone and joint issue. When I hit 34 I had an arthritic virus that left me paralyzed for a month 7 weeks! Eventually it subsided, but it stayed in my left knee and back. It was very stressful on my Fiance at the time, and I think she almost left me. I know what Sandy means because I've experienced what it's like to be 100!
Ummmmmmmmm I woulda but I did not go through Saskatchewan to get to B.C. from Alberta :eek: Maybe we can hook up in Lolydminister (on the Alberta side of course :p ). Wow paralyzed that musta been scary :shocked: ........(I have been comatosed :drinker does that count :D )I went to Whislter (site of the 2010 Winter Olympics). Make no mistake Whilster is an Amercian town in Canada - Canadian currency , but New York prices ....(whereas Banf Alberta is owned by the Japenese so maybe Tokoyo prices .....)

LIVE NOW RB, youth is wasted on the young! ;)

And ain't that the truth we are born backwards ...we should all retire from age 40 count down to 20 .....

Ralph
08-21-04, 05:52 PM
Ummmmmmmmm I woulda but I did not go through Saskatchewan to get to B.C. from Alberta :eek:

Oops, sorry, I confused you with Airbalancer in Ont. :hmm:

daacon
08-21-04, 08:04 PM
Send kids to STATE SCHOOL, Well.....it's $33,000 a year ! $132,000 for 4 years. Kids enter dumb, - - parents well off. Kids graduate smart, - - parents poor :helpless:

Wow ....I am in Canada where Education is somehwat affordable. Last I checked , I think tuition at one of the provincial universities (University of Alberta lets say) was around 5 -6k depending on what ciriculum you are in. That would be living at home - so if you are talking about living away from home, then year you can add another 8 - 10k I suppsoe so we are in the same ball park as State School. But if I am paying , methinks at least one year would be living at home. ..........

33k that is just stupid ....what all does that include ? Books / Room and Board / Tuition ?

Sandy
08-21-04, 08:13 PM
Room & board (Meals - 3 a day) Tuition, Electronic Fee, Student Association Fees, Computer fees, assigned parking, books. Pretty much total.

Sandy
08-21-04, 08:14 PM
Room & board (Meals - 3 a day) Tuition, Electronic Fee, Student Association Fees, Computer fees, assigned parking, books. Pretty much total. 4,000 full time students & appox. 1,500 part time. 87% live "on campus".

daacon
08-22-04, 12:00 PM
Well this summer I took Drivers ed and completed it at the top of my class, I'm #1 Baby! Then last week I went up North to Couer d' Alene for a weekend. Oh, and I alsow went to Mary Hill mansion which is Sam Hills home, ever hear the expression "what in the same hill." Its called MaryHilll cause he named it after his wife. The place is now a museum.

Cool - so do you get a decent break on your insurance being top of the class ? Couer d'Alene is close enough to me , might visit one summer ......I hear it has some awsome golf course ...

airbalancer
08-22-04, 08:06 PM
I am in Ontario, 1/2 east of Oshawa home of GM Canada.
I am 47?, with 4 kids, and 3 grandkids.
My youngest is 22 and in his 4th year (could be 5th or 6 th year there, I forgot already) areospace engineering at Carlton in Ottawa.
Tuition is about $6,000 + books, rents a house with 5 other guys at $500 a month.
He is out in BC for summer on a naval ship, and may join the air force once he is done this year

One thing about have your kids when you are young. I can send the grandkids out for beer when I am 59 :lildevil:
Here is a pic of my son this summer on a US ship do not know which one

Stoneage_Caddy
08-22-04, 09:23 PM
ahh thank him for his service !

This summer ......I bought a pocket bike and have been rideing it , that got old and im getting ready to bore and stroke the engine out to 61cc from 39 (after only "maybe" 7 hours on the engine).The quest for speed begins ...
http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/avatar.php?userid=7175&dateline=1089322214 picture

Went to college summer coaurses (going back tomorrow for fall)....and worked ...