: 1996 Cadillac Seville running hot? (or not) help needed

Frankma
08-21-04, 03:11 AM
Hello all,

I have owned a 1996 Cadillac Seville for the past few years, and since I've owned it regardless of weather conditions the temperature needle has always been more or less at dead center once the engine has fully warmed up.

In the last week it has gone as high as the last white mark before going into the red zone, but fluctuates wildly at times between that point and the midpoint, but it does eventually go down.

Do I have a problem here? Coolant level is fine and both fans are going on.

In a technical sense, according to the gauge the car isn't overheating, but it still represents a wide departure from my usual results.

Is this anything? Should I bring this to be checked out?

What could possibly be causing this?

Thanks everyone.

majax
08-21-04, 04:37 AM
Well if both the fans are on its really hot. I could only guess the water pump is goin or your thermostat.

Marshall
08-21-04, 09:02 AM
Check the water pump belt for wear and ensure the tensioner pivot is not seized. The thermostat might be the problem [easy to change]but use ONLY a GM part. My 94 Eldorado runs 8 to 12 degrees cooler with the GM thermostat.Search the forum for threads on overheating, thermostat,etc.
Marshall

foo
08-21-04, 07:32 PM
I'd check the pump belt, check for codes, check for leaks. If nothing maybe simply try replacing the belt and the thermostat... or the temperature sender could be going bad.. Normal operatin is dead center with occasional tips to the right slightly then the fans come on and it goes right back to dead center.