: Side vent mesh inserts

Texas_Lade
04-01-10, 01:10 AM
Instead of replacing the side vents, which bother me (cheap looking), I have been thinking about adding the mesh inserts which I have seen on Ebay. Has anyone done this and could please post a picture or two. I did the search and a million things came up nowhere close to this question. Thanks everyone, Ryan

link to inserts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08-09-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-FINE-MESH-VENT-INSERT-E-G_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ceb515179QQitemZ3303 65489529QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccess ories

Texas_Lade
04-11-10, 06:36 PM
No one?? How about something similar?

trashguy
04-11-10, 09:32 PM
I can't post a pic on here , posting from phone . Email me your
Email adress ill send u a pic. Trashguy24@gmail.com

TSS
04-11-10, 09:38 PM
I did the E&Gs inserts. In fact, was offering them up for free after I turned in my leased 07. Just tossed them out. Do a search, there are photos and details. I don't have the truck anymore, or else I would snap a picture .

CalCad5
04-11-10, 10:47 PM
How hard were they to install? Does it require fishing line and tape, as I've seen in previous posts on how to remove the vents?

TSS
04-12-10, 11:33 AM
First one took about 30 minutes to install, second one about 10 minutes once I knew the drill. Not particularly difficult, and they come with good directions.

I used a plastic putty knife instead of fishing line to get through the factory tape. It comes with 3M replacement tape for the re-install. The plastic putty knife was useful for removing the vent itself from the vehicle. First you breakthrough the tape, then you need to remove the vent from its clips into the body. Honestly, not that tough to do. If you want them, the install should not be a deterent. Good luck!

cadmanchris
04-12-10, 11:16 PM
Me and Trashguy used fishing line to take them off, along with the plastic trim tools.

TSS
04-13-10, 10:21 AM
My fishing line was garbage from Wal-Mart. It kept breaking, and I ultimately found the thin plastic putty knife to be easier. Both methods should work.

The scariest part is getting the factory black plastic insert out of the fender well with a coat hanger after it falls in. The black insert must be pushed into the fender before the "chrome surround" is removed. Yes, that is exactly what the directions suggest, coat hanger and all, and it works!