: TPS sensors - Issues Resetting

fivepix
03-31-10, 04:12 PM
Hey guys,

I just put my summer wheels on and the shop is having issues resetting the sensors they tried a few time with no luck.

The drives front wheel works you hear the horn go off but on the passenger front tire the horn doesnít go offÖ

Has anyone had this issue before? Iím taking it to the dealership on Monday for them to take a look at. I have 24ís on my truck right now I donít remember if they take a different TPS sensor than what GM sells the guy a the dealer said he may not have ones that fit my tires could this be true?

hcvone
04-01-10, 07:36 AM
Just about any GM sensor will work and be able to be set, you may have a sensor that the battery died, it happens, the sensors start having problems around 5 years, I have had one go at 2 years. Depending on the shops reset tool some 24's and 26's can be a pain, I had an issue where my Bartec reset tool would not set the sensors with one set of 24's I had a few years ago, had to go to the dealership and they had no problem with their Tech II Tool resetting the sensors

fivepix
04-01-10, 08:34 AM
Great thanks! hopefully it's just as simple as that!

fivepix
04-06-10, 05:52 PM
Okay I took the truck to the dealer and went to work and about hour later I got the call and the first thing he said was

"How confident are you that the wheels have the sensors in them"

WTF? are you guys serious? Yes I'm 100% sure i had the same wheels last summer they worked properly. so now they said they can't do anything since they don't think the wheels have the sensors... basically calling me a liar.

I'm taking the truck to my rim shop and they should be able to take out and check the sensor like the dealership should have...

I'm hoping all I have to do is replace the sensors in the wheels, but does any one know if there are any issues on the truck side that might be causing the problem? also if it is the truck would that be a warranty thing? keep in mind i have aftermarket wheels but I don't think that would matter.

hcvone
04-07-10, 06:48 AM
Okay I took the truck to the dealer and went to work and about hour later I got the call and the first thing he said was

"How confident are you that the wheels have the sensors in them"

WTF? are you guys serious? Yes I'm 100% sure i had the same wheels last summer they worked properly. so now they said they can't do anything since they don't think the wheels have the sensors... basically calling me a liar.

I'm taking the truck to my rim shop and they should be able to take out and check the sensor like the dealership should have...

I'm hoping all I have to do is replace the sensors in the wheels, but does any one know if there are any issues on the truck side that might be causing the problem? also if it is the truck would that be a warranty thing? keep in mind i have aftermarket wheels but I don't think that would matter.

If there was a problem with your truck you would get the service tire pressue monitoring system, or "should" get that message. When the dealership could not set the sensors they probably tired to "communicate to the sensors" with the Tech II Tool, what this does is "wake the sensors up" turn them on, and they will beep, it sounds like they could not get them to respond, which would lead them to believe there are no sensors, or the sensors batteries are dead, of course all four of them going at once hard to believe. I am sure if you had the stock wheels on they would have broken the wheels down, I know my dealer does not want to touch my 24's and 26's for fear of damaging them and having to pay. Let us know what comes of this.

fivepix
04-08-10, 03:12 PM
UPDATE:

Just got back from the rim shop and the tech guy there was able to reset the sensors with no issues... they could not figure out why the Cadillac dealership said they had no sensors.

All is back to normal :cool2: thanks for the feedback!

Neoex
04-08-10, 04:32 PM
you can tell the sensor vs non-sensor by looking at the valve stem, your Cadillac dealership is a bunch of morons

fivepix
04-08-10, 05:45 PM
Funny thing is that the guy at the dealership said he could tell I DIDN'T have any by valve stem. I'm going to have to start looking for a new Cadillac dealership problem is that it's the only one in the city we had two before but GM shut it down due to cut backs.

hcvone
04-08-10, 06:02 PM
Very hard to tell the newest sensor valve stems from standard valve stems, I have several in front of me, the older style was easy to see, I would find another dealership if that is an option after what they told you.