: Slow down!!

RightTurn
03-31-10, 05:02 PM
Speeding "Cushion" Dwindles Due to Recession
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-30-speeding-cushion_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

The recession may be claiming a new victim: the 5-10-mph "cushion" police and state troopers across the USA have routinely given motorists exceeding the speed limit.

As cities and states scramble to fill budget gaps with revenue from traffic citations, "not only are the (speeding) tolerances much lower, but the frequency of a warning instead of a ticket is way down," says James Baxter, president of the National Motorists Association, a Wisconsin-based drivers' rights group that helps its members fight speeding tickets.

"Most people, if they're stopped now, are getting a ticket even if it's only a minor violation of a few miles per hour," Baxter says. He cites anecdotal evidence of drivers being pulled over at slower speeds.

Submariner409
03-31-10, 05:21 PM
Your research is born out by recently reported Maryland motorists' speeding ticket experiences, RT.

BUT on the DC and Baltimore beltways anarchy still rules. A driver and officer involved in a "pullover" situation on a shoulder of those roads has the life expectancy of a balloon in hell.

orconn
03-31-10, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the reminder, RT. Somehow I keep forgetting about the realities of municipal finance! I wonder if they'll start going after tailgaters too! That would be a major revenue stream in No Va and probably many other areas of the country.

77CDV
03-31-10, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I've noticed the mobile tax collectors have been much more active lately.

greencadillacmatt
03-31-10, 07:27 PM
^They have been EVERYWHERE lately. I just saw that article. Very interesting. And sucky.

gdwriter
04-01-10, 12:51 AM
I usually set the cruise at 64 MPH on the two-lane state highway I take to work (it's a lame 55). But I often will end up going slower when there are pokers in front of me. Our freeway speed limit is still 65 MPH (thanks to a former governor who was an emergency room physician and vetoed every bill to raise it). So I usually set the cruise at 70 MPH.

On my way to Portland yesterday on I-5, I was cruising at 70, and a Ford Escape flew by that made me look like I was standing still. He must have been doing 90+. I'm disappointed that I didn't see that douchebag pulled over down the road, like I did a few weeks ago with a similarly lead-footed Honda Civic. That kind of speed on a busy freeway is stupid and dangerous.

I'm seeing more state troopers on I-5 between Salem and Portland, but the Oregon State Police has been one of the many victims of budget cuts, so troopers have been spread very thin. The one car I did see pulled over yesterday was by a Marion County sheriff.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 12:58 AM
Whenever I'm en route in the van, I'm usually doing 8-9 mph over the limit, as long as it's on a highway. For instance, on the way down & back from Albert Lea yesterday, I was on I-35 the entire time, doing 78-79 mph. The speed limit is 70. And tomorrow, when I'm taking highway 14 east out of Rochester (two lane highway), the speed limit is 55, but I usually do 63-64.

I have not seen an increase in police and/or speed traps, and I drive about 1200 miles any given week.

orconn
04-01-10, 01:05 AM
I usually set the cruise at 64 MPH on the two-lane state highway I take to work (it's a lame 55). But I often will end up going slower when there are pokers in front of me. Our freeway speed limit is still 65 MPH (thanks to a former governor who was an emergency room physician and vetoed every bill to raise it). So I usually set the cruise at 70 MPH.

On my way to Portland yesterday on I-5, I was cruising at 70, and a Ford Escape flew by that made me look like I was standing still. He must have been doing 90+. I'm disappointed that I didn't see that douchebag pulled over down the road, like I did a few weeks ago with a similarly lead-footed Honda Civic. That kind of speed on a busy freeway is stupid and dangerous.

I'm seeing more state troopers on I-5 between Salem and Portland, but the Oregon State Police has been one of the many victims of budget cuts, so troopers have been spread very thin. The one car I did see pulled over yesterday was by a Marion County sheriff.

Gee, in Oregon the local cops have some jurisdiction on the Interstates? It used to be and may still be that only the CHP had jurisdiction on the Interstates and the local LAPD and LACounty Sheriffs couldn't touch you. I also remember a period when the different jurisdiction's were ticketing each other as revenge for having been ticketed by another law enforcement jurisdiction. I seemed to remember all the cops got together and decided to play nice with each other.

RightTurn
04-01-10, 01:12 AM
Here in TX, you can get pulled over by a county mountie, a state trooper, or a city police officer if you are in the city limits.

Stingroo
04-01-10, 01:23 AM
In South FL where I'm from, there are no city police, just the Broward Sheriff's Office. Cars are marked with what city they're from, but I'm assuming they can still chase you all over the county. Wouldn't know, knock on wood.

orconn
04-01-10, 01:24 AM
Here in TX, you can get pulled over by a county mountie, a state trooper, or a city police officer if you are in the city limits.

That seems like hard cheese ... and very un-Texan! Sounds like the legislators in Texas missed a real opportunity for hi-jinx on the highways. Guess they were more interested in revenuean than in given the driver an even chance!

77CDV
04-01-10, 01:45 AM
Sheriff and city police don't generally bother people on the freeways unless the initial offence took place on a surface street and the idiot tried to run on the freeway. Not worried, though. We seem to have more than enough Chippies to cover the beat.

eldorado99
04-01-10, 01:58 AM
Speed limits in Canada suck. I have to drive about 2.5 hours to find any speed limit higher than about 60MPH, and even then its only 68MPH. When I was a young kid before I could drive I used to see 75MPH (120KPH) signs much more often.

Aron9000
04-01-10, 02:12 AM
I know where I live you don't speed in certain rich neighborhoods. In Nashville the county and city government is the same, so you have the Metro Police. They'll generally leave you alone unless you're really moving/being retarded.

Before the county and city governments merged back in the 60's, you had other small satellite cities like Belle Meade and Berry Hill in Davidson county. They still have their own police force that patrols their little rinky dink jurisdictions, and they will write you a ticket for doing 37 in a 35. Also the cops in Franklin and Brentwood are terrible, once again its a bunch of rich people, so its huge tax base+no crime=lots of cops to write traffic citations.

ben.gators
04-01-10, 04:19 AM
Penalties for speeding gets harsher, when driver goes 16+ MPH faster than posted speed limit. So I always never exceed (posted speed+15) MPH. In highways, if traffic allows me, my speed is somewhere between posted speed, and posted speed + 15, and usually it is very near to the latter. I never ever have been stopped for speeding, and I need to emphasize that I always have an eye on rear mirror looking for who is after me, and an eye on road ahead, looking for who is watching the cars!

I live in Tempe, the city that hosts the main campus of Arizona State University. So for any car in city, there are two police cars tracking it! Therefore in city streets I have no ball to drive more than 3-4 MPH over the posted speed.

Rolex
04-01-10, 04:33 PM
Mobile tax collectors :histeric:

On the whole I would agree with the article. Local cops have been writing 5 mph over tickets. Just ask my wife. :hide:

N*Caddy
04-04-10, 12:32 AM
Speed limits in Canada suck. I have to drive about 2.5 hours to find any speed limit higher than about 60MPH, and even then its only 68MPH. When I was a young kid before I could drive I used to see 75MPH (120KPH) signs much more often.

Where in Canada have you seen speed limits over 60 MPH?
In the Toronto - Barry - Hamilton - London - all the way to Detroit area I haven't see anything but 60.
I also noticed that driving a Cadillac does not gives you much attention from police.
I am always the car driving on the passing lane and the only reason I sometimes drive with in the traffic speed is because the guy in front does not move out of the way. I passed police cars many times doing 15 to 20 MPH over the limit and I was never stopped. Actually the last (and only) time I was stopped for speeding was back in '96 somewhere in Europe (I was doing 48 MPH on a 40 MPH zone) since they have ZERO tolerance over there.

V-Eight
04-04-10, 01:28 PM
In some places on the trans Canada its 110 now, and they're working on making it 110 for the whole way.

orconn
04-04-10, 02:45 PM
^^^ I take it that's kilometers?

77CDV
04-04-10, 02:55 PM
Only the US is hanging on to the English system. Hell, even the English gave it up!

V-Eight
04-04-10, 03:00 PM
^^^ I take it that's kilometers?

Yeah, I wasn't sure what that would be in miles...70ish?

orconn
04-04-10, 03:04 PM
The U.S. hanging on to the English sytem must have something to do with Republican resistance to change and the Democrat's problems with math making it difficult for them to do the conversions!

77CDV
04-04-10, 03:13 PM
It's sheer laziness. The metric system is so much easier to use, everything's in base 10. No more worrying how many quarts in a hogshead or feet in a mile or other such rubbish.

N*Caddy
04-04-10, 06:58 PM
It's sheer laziness. The metric system is so much easier to use, everything's in base 10. No more worrying how many quarts in a hogshead or feet in a mile or other such rubbish.

:)
So funny how you used the very British word "rubbish" when complaining about the imperial system.
Generally I was educated to think metric but some how I find the imperial system so much cooler.
Although in Canada we are subjects of the Queen, I don't know why the metric system is used (heck I even speak fairy well French). Generally when I talk with older peoples or peoples south of the border something triggers in me the imperial system.

Stingroo
04-04-10, 07:11 PM
Metric system FTL.

110 km/h is about 70, yeah.

Speed limits here are 65mph or 70, but nobody goes that fast. On my way back to school today I set cruise at 95, and people were STILL passing me.

(That's 150km/h for you metricfolk).

V-Eight
04-04-10, 07:17 PM
:)

Generally I was educated to think metric but some how I find the imperial system so much cooler.
Although in Canada we are subjects of the Queen, I don't know why the metric system is used (heck I even speak fairy well French). .

Because of the fact thats logical and not just a bunch of random bullshit numbers.

Yeqon
04-04-10, 07:30 PM
Must be something to this I just got my first ticket since 1995! Although I have to disagree I think MPLS PD notice the Cadillac.

ben.gators
04-04-10, 09:07 PM
Metric system FTL.

110 km/h is about 70, yeah.

Speed limits here are 65mph or 70, but nobody goes that fast. On my way back to school today I set cruise at 95, and people were STILL passing me.

(That's 150km/h for you metricfolk).

Wow, that is really high, and indeed I like to drive fast if the road and traffic lets such fast driving. what is the route you take to go school? I-75?

Stingroo
04-04-10, 09:29 PM
I took I-95 all the way.

Floridians are crazy.

When I first got on the road, I set it at 85. I was going along fine in the left lane when a cop came up on me really fast. I got scared so I slowed down to just over 70. He followed me right on my ass for a little bit then when there was a hole, blew right on past me. When he was out of sight I went up to 95 and never saw him (or any other cop) for the rest of the trip.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-10, 09:42 PM
What kind of mileage does the old wagon get at 95? How can you even tell she's doing 95....the speedometer is buried at 80, right??

Stingroo
04-04-10, 09:47 PM
No, my speedometer goes to 100, and you can't push the needle past that (I tried :lol:)

This is the cluster:
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1240/0122101217.jpg

As far as mileage, I made it from home to school on approx. 3/4 of a tank, so that's ~12 gallons of gas to go about 295 miles (what my trip odometer says currently)...

So just about 23mpg. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-10, 10:40 PM
Oh, that's right. 1991 was the only year they had the 80 mph speedometer. I guess with the bigger engine, you get the better speedometer. :)

ben.gators
04-04-10, 10:40 PM
I took I-95 all the way.

Floridians are crazy.

When I first got on the road, I set it at 85. I was going along fine in the left lane when a cop came up on me really fast. I got scared so I slowed down to just over 70. He followed me right on my ass for a little bit then when there was a hole, blew right on past me. When he was out of sight I went up to 95 and never saw him (or any other cop) for the rest of the trip.

I used to live in Florida for couple of years, I never was in I-95, but drove a lot in I-70, average speed was high, but not as high as you observe in I-95. I usually drove 80-85 MPH, but not faster.

About cops in Florida, oh man, I can remember that it was 2AM, and I was returning back from campus to my home, and it was a 4 lane city street with 45MPH limit, there was totally no one in street, and I was driving by 70MPH! :D and suddenly I saw a cop in right side of rode that has stopped to merged to the street! I was so scared because I knew that driving 30mph over speed can have harsh penalties. Applying brake was not a good idea, since would make him more suspicious by observing my brake lights. So pushed right turn signal and then apply the brakes to mimic that I want to turn right and that is why I am braking, not because of reducing my speed. From the first intersection I turned right, and he turned too, oh shit. and then a red light. I stopped and he stoped in the lane near to me. I gave him a big stupid smile, and he just turned his head to the other side. Thanks god, and I survived.

Stingroo
04-04-10, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I never remember I-95 being this fast before either, but then again, I've only driven on it 5 times. I guess it feels considerably slower when you're NOT driving it. :lol:

Chad, with any luck, that cluster will be replaced with one from a Custom Cruiser over the summer. :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-10, 10:55 PM
I'm surprised the 55 isn't highlighted, most cars from that era had that.

gdwriter
04-05-10, 01:50 AM
I'm surprised the 55 isn't highlighted, most cars from that era had that.Thank you, Joan Claybrook.

Google it, you youngins.

Stingroo
04-05-10, 02:11 AM
Well the speed limit in 1992 wasn't 55 anymore.

greencadillacmatt
04-05-10, 03:52 AM
The speedo in my '84 DeVille has the 55 highlighted AND it tops out at 85. :(

77CDV
04-05-10, 02:42 PM
And since going over 75 in these cars is a bracing experience, the 85mph speedo is more than sufficient.

greencadillacmatt
04-05-10, 03:18 PM
And since going over 75 in these cars is a bracing experience, the 85mph speedo is more than sufficient.

Not when I was trying to catch my friend's Porsche it wasn't! :hide:

Aron9000
04-06-10, 01:17 AM

My 91 will cruise at 80-100mph all day long with no complaints. You really don't want to push it past that though, feels like the motor is just choking for more air.

Stingroo
04-06-10, 01:20 AM
^ I don't get that sensation in the wagon. At all.

Arthur Neill
04-07-10, 04:53 PM
Thank you, Joan Claybrook.

Google it, you youngins.

I worked at the National Highwy Traffic Safety Administration, NHTSA, in that era. Fought like hell against 55 and the blinking 85 mph limited speedometer. Is there any modification available to get full speed indication and stop 85 mph blinking. Joan Claybrook needed a man but no one would sacrifice their manhood.

I recently traveled from my home in MD to Daytona in 12 3/4 hours with 3 fuel/food stops. Great trip but blinking 85 mph and no idea off speed above 85 mph was not good. Stupid idea Joan.

Arthur Neill
04-07-10, 04:55 PM

I was doing over 100 mph easily with little or no vibration in my '89 Fleetwood Coupe.

Need 120 mph speedometer.

77CDV
04-07-10, 04:56 PM
No love lost, then?

Stingroo
04-07-10, 05:13 PM
I was doing over 100 mph easily with little or no vibration in my '89 Fleetwood Coupe.

Need 120 mph speedometer.

You have one gorgeous looking car. Even wears the E&G grille well.

I like. :)

Aron9000
04-08-10, 01:53 AM
I worked at the National Highwy Traffic Safety Administration, NHTSA, in that era. Fought like hell against 55 and the blinking 85 mph limited speedometer. Is there any modification available to get full speed indication and stop 85 mph blinking. Joan Claybrook needed a man but no one would sacrifice their manhood.

I recently traveled from my home in MD to Daytona in 12 3/4 hours with 3 fuel/food stops. Great trip but blinking 85 mph and no idea off speed above 85 mph was not good. Stupid idea Joan.

I thought the digital gauge cluster got rid of that 85mph nonsense on the regular speedo. I know the one in my 1991 Brougham will read to 105.

gdwriter
04-08-10, 01:18 PM
Chad called me when I was driving home yesterday, and my Bluetooth headset was in my laptop bag in the back seat. Oregon banned hand-held cell phones in the car starting this year, so I had to drop the phone twice going through downtown Corvallis when I saw cops. One of them was doing a speed trap through a 25 MPH zone. Looks like they're doing enforcement through that area again, so I'll have to watch my speed more carefully.

dkozloski
04-08-10, 02:00 PM
Everything is normal here in Alaska. If you get a speeding ticket you asked for it.

77CDV
04-08-10, 03:00 PM
I thought the digital gauge cluster got rid of that 85mph nonsense on the regular speedo. I know the one in my 1991 Brougham will read to 105.

My aunt's '87 Fleetwood had digital instruments and it would do the blinking 85.