: Wagon rareness -- here 'Roo

hueterm
03-30-10, 01:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-oldsmobile-custom-cruiser-wagon_W0QQitemZ160417576549QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item2559a1f665

If only it were LT1...

Stingroo
03-30-10, 01:11 PM
I wish I could loot the gauge cluster.

Custom Cruisers are cool, but I'm not a fan of their nose. That thing is IMMACULATE though.

orconn
03-30-10, 01:12 PM
Wow, got to be one of the best around. A super Beretta-mobile if there ever was one! And with "be the last on your block" cache too!

Stingroo
03-30-10, 01:47 PM
You know, I still never MEASURED my interior space.

I will today when I go to my grandmother's. But I can guarantee it's more than enough for a large dog crate. Heck, you could go all police-car and put a metal gate up and forgo the crate entirely. :)

billc83
03-30-10, 02:51 PM
I saw one of those the other day. Figured it was a Buick, then saw the Olds grille BUT I thought I might have been mistaken.

I didn't even know Olds made those...

Stingroo
03-30-10, 03:02 PM
They only did for '91 and '92. The rest of them carried on to '96.

orconn
03-30-10, 03:03 PM
Yeah, a neighbor of mine in L.A. had an Olds 88 Vista Cruiser (I thought it was a 98) it was the only non-Volvo wagon in the neighborhood. I take that back, there were at least two Mercedes "E" class wagons also.

Stingroo
03-30-10, 03:21 PM
I love my wagon. I seriously would recommend them to anyone... as long as you know how to park. I let my friend drive it the other day, and he had serious issues getting into and out of the parking spot here on campus.

greencadillacmatt
03-30-10, 05:24 PM
Oooooooh man, if only I had some extra cash in my pocket. That thing is freaking awesome. I actually like the nose on them. So much different looking than everything else. :D:thumbsup::D

RightTurn
03-30-10, 07:43 PM
You need the Wagon Queen Family Truckster. :coffee: In "metallic peat."

http://blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/wagonqueen.jpg

hueterm
03-30-10, 09:37 PM
I like the nose, I just don't like the TBI 350 so much...nor the blue interior (which is marginal for me). I do like though that the wheels would look OK w/o whitewall tires and that it's only 29K miles -- unless I totaled it, I could drive it for years....

V-Eight
03-30-10, 10:23 PM
Have you ever driven an LO5?

hueterm
03-30-10, 10:56 PM
Yes, I had a '93 RM sedan. It was OK, but I don't think I'd get another one -- I always kicked myself for not getting an LT1en I got my '93.

It would have to be a blazing steal of a deal to get another L05...

V-Eight
03-30-10, 11:00 PM
Really? Because I've got the LO5 in my truck and think its a great motor, loads of torque and good on the highway.....what else do you need?

Stingroo
03-30-10, 11:31 PM
I don't know man... I'm plenty happy with my L05 wagon.

You should seriously come to the FL meet. :D Then you can drive it. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-30-10, 11:36 PM
I saw a pretty sweet Caprice wagon today. It was a darkish silver '94 Classic with the "old style" red cloth seats (you know, the really soft ones, they look kinda like fat rolls), but when I saw it at first, I thought it was a 91-93, because I thought all the Caprice Classics switched to the new style seats in '94, but I guess not, because when they pulled it into the shop, I saw it had the LT1/L99's engine cleaner assembly, so I walked over to it and said that it said it was built in '94 and had the 5.7L V8. I guess, much like the Roadmaster Limiteds, the Caprice Classics switched to the new style seats a year after they got the LT1.

Nutz
03-30-10, 11:37 PM
There's a guy who frequents the car shows around here with a 95ish gold Caprice wagon woodie with Impala SS wheels and grille, and a centrifugal supercharged LT1.

Stingroo
03-30-10, 11:38 PM
That guy would be my hero.

I want to do something crazy to my L05 next year. This summer I've decided is going to be dedicated to paint, if I can line up the job I have set up. If not, this summer + next semester's $2k check from the school will go to paint.

Aron9000
03-31-10, 02:10 AM
I agree that the LO5 is kind of "turdy". I've got one in my 91, and it does pretty good up to about 50mph then its like somebody threw out a boat anchor and a parachute. I do most of my driving on the interstate and it drives me nuts. Although it does run great and feels like it would run forever. Doesn't use a drop of oil at 122k either.

Stingroo
03-31-10, 09:30 AM
I seriously don't experience that at all. Especially with many streets in Jacksonville having 55 mph limits, and most people traveling at about 70. I keep up with the flow of traffic quite nicely, and pass cars with ease.

By the way, Hueterm, if you're still seriously considering one:

Rear cargo area dimensions (with second seat up, not down, so you can still seat 5)

54 inches from tailgate to the rear of the seat
48 inches wide
31 inches tall

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6519/0331085844.jpg

hueterm
03-31-10, 09:51 AM
THX, Roo -- is the 31" from the tailgate to the top of the rear opening, or inside to the headliner?

And the L05, it isn't the end of the world, I had one for several years. But 180HP v 260HP is a huge difference.

Honestly, if that Custom Cruiser was in Dallas or St. Louis, or somewhere in between -- I'd probably seriously consider it due to the mileage and condition -- as long as it was 4 grand-ish. (Even w/the blue interior...) Detroit is just a LONG way for what may or may not be a good buy...

Stingroo
03-31-10, 09:52 AM
That's inside to the headliner.

And you could always mod the L05 a little. :devil:

hueterm
03-31-10, 09:56 AM
OK, good -- my kennel is 27"H , so it should slide in w/no problem.

Are there any tie down points in the back? I'm doubting it, but never can tell from pics...

Stingroo
03-31-10, 10:15 AM
No, but you could use the handles for the 3rd row seat if you had to.. or even put some in yourself (the big plastic piece on the right side where the spare tire is could get a few?)

Edit: Actually, the panels in front of that come off too, to replace the rear speakers. So really, you could put them wherever you wanted.

V-Eight
03-31-10, 11:28 AM
THX, Roo -- is the 31" from the tailgate to the top of the rear opening, or inside to the headliner?

And the L05, it isn't the end of the world, I had one for several years. But 180HP v 260HP is a huge difference.

Honestly, if that Custom Cruiser was in Dallas or St. Louis, or somewhere in between -- I'd probably seriously consider it due to the mileage and condition -- as long as it was 4 grand-ish. (Even w/the blue interior...) Detroit is just a LONG way for what may or may not be a good buy...

The L05 has 210, and you can easily increase that with Vortec heads.

orconn
03-31-10, 11:42 AM
While I admire these automotive whales as the last of their species, I still prefer the old square Volvos, particularly the 960s for their overall usefulness. the Audi, Mercedes, and BMW while providing the space while still handling well are OK, but with decent horsepower for their weight, cost a small fortune. The Wol-Woes get the job done for less money, kind of a happy medium (like so many things Swedish!).

If I could get what I would really choose it would be the Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon with the beautiful 3 ltr 4ohc V-6 ..... arriba! arriba!

hueterm
03-31-10, 12:29 PM
Good luck finding a 960.....

greencadillacmatt
03-31-10, 01:22 PM
I could always drive the Olds Wagon down to you. I live in Michigan. Just pay for gas and food and I'm in. :D

greencadillacmatt
03-31-10, 01:23 PM

I live in Michigan (where the Olds is) and could drive it down to you. Just pay for my gas and food and I'm in. :D

(Whoops, double post. Sorry. :suspense:)

hueterm
03-31-10, 02:46 PM
I live in Michigan (where the Olds is) and could drive it down to you. Just pay for my gas and food and I'm in. :D

(Whoops, double post. Sorry. :suspense:)

MMmmm Hmmmm...by way of Jacksonville, I'm sure...

And, um...how would you get back?

orconn
03-31-10, 05:27 PM
Yeah, Hueterm, finding a 960 with low mileage is tough, but here's a 1997 960 Wagon with 66,000 miles equipped with leather and wood, premium sound system, 4 speed auto with overdrive rear wheel drive and all the goodies for an asking price of $7900.00. This one is just like the one I used to drive that belonged to a neighbor. A very nice wagon! It is listed on Auto Trader under Volvo 960 and is located in the WI.

greencadillacmatt
03-31-10, 06:23 PM
MMmmm Hmmmm...by way of Jacksonville, I'm sure...

And, um...how would you get back?

What reason might I have to stop by Jacksonville? I certainly can't think of aaaaaaany reason to go there. :lildevil:

As for getting back, um, (dammit, he's on to me... :suspect:)

77CDV
03-31-10, 06:25 PM
Um, airplane?

hueterm
03-31-10, 06:28 PM
Or -- that V90 is sweet......I wonder what the back cargo dimensions are on that thing....?

But OMG....9.3 seconds to 60? What does an LT1 take?

orconn
03-31-10, 06:55 PM
^^^ My neighbor who had the '97 V90 Wagon had a wire divider behind the rear seat and used to carry two large (the size of large male GSDs) back there without any problems. I am familiar with a large dog crate (shipping) and I am sure one would fit behind the rear seat. The V90 has an even larger cargo (cu Ft) space than earlier models. I am sure the space is taller than the '90s GM stationwagons (Olds, buick, Chev). I have to admit the V90s are rather rare and 9.3sec 0-60 mph won't impress at the drag track but for the comfort of the dog and his hauler I think the V90 is tops, and will hold up better over time, with good care than any of the alternatives.

If I were still involved in showing horses, I' buy that wagon in a second. Shouldn't be more than $500.00 to ship from WI to AR and I' get the seller to foot the bill, can't be too mny buyers for two wheel drive wagons up in the North Woods!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-10, 07:58 PM
Or -- that V90 is sweet......I wonder what the back cargo dimensions are on that thing....?

But OMG....9.3 seconds to 60? What does an LT1 take?

Probably 7.5-8.0 or so, depending if it's got the trailer tow package.

Stingroo
03-31-10, 08:01 PM
I'll have to time mine to 60. I swear it feels faster than 8 seconds.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-10, 10:13 PM
It may "feel" faster than 8.0, but there's no way it's gonna pull it off that quick. All L05 B/D bodies did it between 9.1 and 10.0 seconds.

Sting, watch this.
k8QX6tlE94o

hueterm
03-31-10, 10:17 PM
I love these Motor Weeks...

hueterm
03-31-10, 10:18 PM
Oh, and that V90 was totaled -- I ran a Carfax on it...............

Stingroo
03-31-10, 10:18 PM
I'm going to time it this weekend sometime on my way home. I'm curious now.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-10, 10:21 PM
The LO5's are funny. They have so much low end torque that they shoot out of the hole and feel really fast, but once you're into second gear, it falls on it's face. It's all low end, and nothing on the top end to keep up with it. And if I'm not mistaken, the throttles are really touchy too, which only makes the copious amounts of low end torque seem that much more copious.

hueterm
03-31-10, 10:25 PM
That way my impression of my RM, Chad.

Funny on that MW video, the guy said the Caprice would be around "for a long time to come"...well...not so much...

V-Eight
03-31-10, 10:36 PM
I'd say it would be faster than 9.0 because my truck, granted its not a wagon, is definitely quicker than the Cadillac. I remember getting back into the truck after driving the Cadillac for so long and being amazed how I would sink into my seat. However your point about the gear is true, in the Cadillac it REALLY picks up in second, but the truck it loves being in first.

The LO5's are funny. They have so much low end torque that they shoot out of the hole and feel really fast, but once you're into second gear, it falls on it's face. It's all low end, and nothing on the top end to keep up with it. And if I'm not mistaken, the throttles are really touchy too, which only makes the copious amounts of low end torque seem that much more copious.

The throttle is actually really good IMO, very easy to roll into. Its a little stiff to start, and a new time driver may spin the tires by accident, but you get used to it pretty quick. The pedal in my truck is definitely my favourite because it DOES require a fair bit of force to move, and it helps deal with my 'heavy foot' as well.....sometimes. Maybe, but sometimes when I'm on it, it will shift hard and snap up the front end.

Stingroo
03-31-10, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I definitely spun the tires a few times my first two or three days of ownership.

Now it only happens intentionally. :thumbsup:

Stingroo
03-31-10, 10:50 PM
Chad, that vid is 10sec in a 305 wagon.

I've got a 350 + 3.23 tow package posi.

I'm going to time it. :)

hueterm
03-31-10, 10:53 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-oldsmobile-custom-cruiser-wagon_W0QQitemZ160417576549QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item2559a1f665

If only it were LT1...

Auction ended early...

Stingroo
03-31-10, 11:03 PM
Wonder where it ended up...

hueterm
03-31-10, 11:07 PM
I found a '95 RM LT-1 w/33K miles in Austin, TX -- but it's $10K...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-10, 11:09 PM
I'd say it would be faster than 9.0 because my truck, granted its not a wagon, is definitely quicker than the Cadillac. I remember getting back into the truck after driving the Cadillac for so long and being amazed how I would sink into my seat. However your point about the gear is true, in the Cadillac it REALLY picks up in second, but the truck it loves being in first.

Unless there's something wrong with your 4.9L deVille, it will smoke your L05 powered Silverado from any speed. The only way I could see the Silverado being quicker is if it's got the 4.10:1 rear end, with the five speed manual. I remember the first time I drove an L05 was Brian's '90 Brougham, and when I first jumped in it and drove it around town, it felt as quick as my '92 Sedan deVille, atleast from a stop. But the more I drove it, the more I could see that the acceleration really drops off as speeds increase.

I remember JD telling us that he had topped his '90 out at 108 mph...not because it was goverened or drag limited...but the 350 just wouldn't push it any higher. The top speed of my deVille was 108 too, but it was governed.

orconn
03-31-10, 11:46 PM

Hey, we old pharts really need all that low end torque in our Caddies; how we going to beat you youngsters to the close in parking spaces at the Mall? High end accelleration, you got to kidding ..... you ever see one of us accellerate from 55mph to 65 mph in the passing lane! Not likely!

It's a shame the young found out about Cadillac's low end torque, it's been tougher to out gun the competition for the better parking spaces! I hope I don't have to resort to the "Fried Green Tomatos" solution!

Stingroo
03-31-10, 11:47 PM
Hey, I own the parking lot in this school. LOL

V-Eight
04-01-10, 12:04 AM
Unless there's something wrong with your 4.9L deVille, it will smoke your L05 powered Silverado from any speed. The only way I could see the Silverado being quicker is if it's got the 4.10:1 rear end, with the five speed manual. I remember the first time I drove an L05 was Brian's '90 Brougham, and when I first jumped in it and drove it around town, it felt as quick as my '92 Sedan deVille, atleast from a stop. But the more I drove it, the more I could see that the acceleration really drops off as speeds increase.

I remember JD telling us that he had topped his '90 out at 108 mph...not because it was goverened or drag limited...but the 350 just wouldn't push it any higher. The top speed of my deVille was 108 too, but it was governed.

The deVille is certainly faster at high speeds, but from a stop I seriously doubt it. The truck will snap your neck back on a hard start whereas the deVille won't as much. But that could be due to the face that the deVille is so much more plush

Interesting, I just looked it up and apparently the LO5 in the Fleetwoods only had 185hp vs 210 in the trucks.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 12:14 AM
The deVille is certainly faster at high speeds, but from a stop I seriously doubt it. The truck will snap your neck back on a hard start whereas the deVille won't as much. But that could be due to the face that the deVille is so much more plush

Interesting, I just looked it up and apparently the LO5 in the Fleetwoods only had 185hp vs 210 in the trucks.

My deVille had no problem snapping my head back with a WOT run from a stop. The only problem it had was keeping the front tires planted. I remember there was one time I floored it as I was taking a left turn from a stop and spun the inside front tire all the way through first gear! I actually think that the 4.9L made more torque off idle than my Supercharged 3.8 does, and I remember thinking than the 4.9 felt just like the LT1 did at low speeds, but once in second gear, the LT1 would walk all over the 4.9, and it just got more so once speeds increased.

I always knew that the L05 was rated at 210hp in the trucks v. 185hp FWB & 190hp in the Caprice and Roadmasters, but never knew why. They're the same motor, right? They've got the same intake & exhaust setups, right? They're all rated at the same 300 lb/ft. I think if you got the 3/4 or one ton trucks, the L05 was rated at the same 190hp as the Roadmaster/Caprice, and that makes literally NO sense to me at all.

V-Eight
04-01-10, 12:22 AM
Yeah, the deVille will certainly snap your neck back, but still not to the extent of my truck. If only I had a G meter...... Hahha, yeah, if the tires gripped these cars would be a lot quicker

I think one version used hydraulic lifters and the other did not, I don't think that would give 25HP though.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 12:28 AM
With your truck, I'm assuming it's the four speed automatic. Do you have any idea which rear end is in it? It's a 1500 Regular Cab, right? Does it kick you into your seat for like the first 20 MPH, or is it through the first gear?

I remember with Brian's 90 Brougham with the 350, it felt just as snappy and quick as my 4.9L deVille all the way through first gear, but once it shifted at 34mph (WOT), it fell on it's face. I do remember that it would lay a nice patch of rubber from a stop as well, but it's hard to say what car would do it better, as one was FWD and one was RWD.

V-Eight
04-01-10, 09:30 AM
I've only got the 3.43. Yeah, its a 1500 regular cab, 2wd, auto.

hueterm
04-01-10, 01:56 PM
OK -- here you go, 'Roo:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=276256580&dealer_id=58050097&car_year=1994&model=BUICKROAD&make3=CHEV&make2=CAD&mod_bookmark_id=31699330&mod_bookmark_id=31699330&start_year=1994&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=0&model3=CAP&model2=FLEE&make=BUICK&keywords_display=&color=&min_price=&incremental=All&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&lastExec=1270090857000&seller_type=b&max_mileage=75000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=72712&advanced=y&end_year=1996&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=567&standard=false

Stingroo
04-01-10, 01:59 PM
1A2 wagons are raaaare.

That thing is cool.

RightTurn
04-01-10, 03:16 PM
Hey, we old pharts really need all that low end torque in our Caddies; how we going to beat you youngsters to the close in parking spaces at the Mall?

I hope I don't have to resort to the "Fried Green Tomatos" solution!

YouTube- Towanda

orconn
04-01-10, 04:14 PM
Yes, I keep the call of "Towanda" and the FGT solution under wraps for that special day when the Seville will no longer cut the mustard in "Mall Wars."

hueterm
04-01-10, 04:38 PM
1A2 wagons are raaaare.

That thing is cool.

I'd have to get grey sheepskin seat covers to go over the scary blue vinyl it would surely have.

Easy clean up to and from the jail......eww..or maybe the coroner's office. Didn't Quincy drive a big station wagon??

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 06:49 PM
All this talk of big powerful wagons got me thinking that I should try and convince my boss to pick up a B Body wagon after the Astro finally dies. Even with the L05, it'd be sweet. Just no L99 4.3L V8's please! I'm sure it can tow just as much as the Astro could, and it's probably got more cargo space, even if it's not as tall...I could always put a machine in our enclosed trailer if need be. Plus, instead of getting 16-17mpg all the time, I'd see 21-25, depending on how I'm driving it.

hueterm
04-01-10, 06:53 PM
5000 lbs w/tow pkg...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 07:01 PM
5500 lbs with the Astro.... :(

hueterm
04-01-10, 07:06 PM
Lt1 :-)

Stingroo
04-01-10, 07:19 PM
They didn't offer the L99 in the wagons. It was only the L03, L05, or LT1.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 07:44 PM
They didn't offer the L99 in the wagons. It was only the L03, L05, or LT1.

MY GOD, WHY did GM build that damned engine in the first place then?? It was only available in the 94-96 Caprice Sedan, but probably 80% of them were ordered with the LT1. I mean if they wanted a smaller engine for CAFE regulations, they should have just gone with the 4.3L V6..it even made more torque than the L99. It just seems so dumb to me that GM would spend all this money making this new, smaller V8, and then only use it for two years in one car!

My uncle has the L99 in his '96 Caprice Classic, and while durable (240k miles), it's a turd. He had a '95 Impala SS, and he said when he drove my Roadmaster, it took him back to the days when he had the Impala, and not his gutless, wheezy Caprice.

Lt1 :-)

I knoooow!!! But I'd kinda like to convince the boss to get us Tahoes or Suburbans too, that way I could fit a machine in the cargo area and still have 4WD for winter.

hueterm
04-01-10, 07:48 PM
You really do need 4wd for the winters....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 07:55 PM
Yes, plus that way I *could* get the 454 or diesel.

96Fleetwood
04-01-10, 08:23 PM
I almost bought this wagon.. but we were $2K apart:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=234454

.. but it probably can't haul as much as a LT1.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 08:25 PM
WHOA! OK, that is SWEET! Too bad it won't let me see pictures.

Stingroo
04-01-10, 08:25 PM
As cool as that is, who CARES what it can tow? lol

Stingroo
04-01-10, 08:30 PM
For Chad:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8976/attachmentku.th.jpg (http://img33.imageshack.us/i/attachmentku.jpg/)
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2927/69228348.th.jpg (http://img24.imageshack.us/i/69228348.jpg/)
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5303/87690222.th.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/i/87690222.jpg/)
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8727/35361475.th.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/35361475.jpg/)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 08:37 PM
I do not like how everyone and their mom and her mom puts the Impala SS grille and wheels on their B Body wagon.

Stingroo
04-01-10, 08:46 PM
Me either. That's why I never will. :) I'll keep my hood ornament, TYVM. :D

96Fleetwood
04-01-10, 09:10 PM
I do not like how everyone and their mom and her mom puts the Impala SS grille and wheels on their B Body wagon.

Why not? The Impala SS is a icon! I love the B body wagons with Impala treatment.. makes them menacing.

hueterm
04-01-10, 09:24 PM
Are there Buick logo center caps made to fit the Impala wheels?

96Fleetwood
04-01-10, 09:42 PM
Are there Buick logo center caps made to fit the Impala wheels?

Yep:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj103/2tonbuick/Roadmaster/Roadmaster004.jpg

hueterm
04-01-10, 09:58 PM
That w/a blacked out grille and tinted windows, would be awesome...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 10:04 PM
Why not? The Impala SS is a icon! I love the B body wagons with Impala treatment.. makes them menacing.

Because, it's all too common. It's harder to find a clean, unmodified B Body wagon than it is one with the Impala SS grille. Most of the ones that I see are hack jobs too, usually ghetto-rigged and looking like ass. Besides, the stock ones, especially the Roadmasters & Custom Cruisers are sleepers with the right engines.

Yep:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj103/2tonbuick/Roadmaster/Roadmaster004.jpg

If I would have kept my Roadmaster and put the Impala SS wheels on it, it would look identical to that one.

Stingroo
04-01-10, 10:06 PM
DCM... -drool-

That's what I want to paint my wagon in the summer. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 10:08 PM
I loved that dark cherry metallic, HATED the matching leather interior. If it had the beige interior, I might not have sold it.

Stingroo
04-01-10, 10:20 PM
lol I like my red cloth interior. :)

My plan is to go DCM paint, with a silver pinstripe that goes along the car and arcs past the rear doors, following the contour of the wheel well, and then everything behind that point (below the windows) silver, including the tailgate and rear bumper area.

It looks sexy in my head. Hopefully it can look sexy in person soon.

Stingroo
04-02-10, 07:22 PM
Chad: 8.4 seconds 0-60. That's with me and two other friends riding in the car, along with about 100lbs of equipment (I had my jackstands, floor jack, etc. in the car).

I did 8.4 on two runs, and 8.8 on one run with a bit of wheelspin. :thumbsup:

Benzilla
04-02-10, 09:18 PM
These are great cars I know a lady that bought one new & sold it a couple years ago with over 300.000 mi on it & still going strong. Can't beat the bodystyle for an American wagon either Loved that video. What I wouldn't give to see a RWD Cadillac get run through that course.

Stingroo
04-02-10, 09:19 PM
Come to the FL meet! Then we can. :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-02-10, 10:22 PM
Chad: 8.4 seconds 0-60. That's with me and two other friends riding in the car, along with about 100lbs of equipment (I had my jackstands, floor jack, etc. in the car).

I did 8.4 on two runs, and 8.8 on one run with a bit of wheelspin. :thumbsup:

Wow, that's surprisingly quick for the L05, but I suppose yours has the shorter rear end, and the posi-traction... Most LT1 B bodies would do 0-60 in 6.7-7.2 or so, and the LT1 FWB's were about 7.0-7.4. Come to think of it, my 4.9 deVille was about 8.0 flat too, and my S320 was 8.7 or so.

Stingroo
04-03-10, 02:13 PM
I still think I can get faster. I'm thinking 8.0, honestly.

Also, I just filled my tank after driving from here to Jax - 24.5 MPG cruising @ about 90 the whole trip. :)

Wagons FTW.

96Fleetwood
04-03-10, 02:30 PM
I still think I can get faster. I'm thinking 8.0, honestly.

Also, I just filled my tank after driving from here to Jax - 24.5 MPG cruising @ about 90 the whole trip. :)

Wagons FTW.

Any mods besides the exhaust? Bone stock the '91-93 Caprice Sedan with the 5.0 liter was 10.1 seconds 0-60.

Stingroo
04-03-10, 02:32 PM
This has the 350.

I don't think there's anything other than exhaust done to it. You can't SEE anything, at least.

77CDV
04-04-10, 02:16 PM
With the 350 you should see 0 to 60 times of about 8.5 seconds.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-10, 04:38 PM
Motorweek always got real conservative 0-60 times. For example, for the S500, they got 8.0 seconds, most other sources get 7.0-7.2 seconds.

Stingroo
04-06-10, 01:32 AM
Another nice low mileage LT1 Roadmaster Wagon:

http://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/1673711221.html

$2650

70k miles

96Fleetwood
04-06-10, 08:52 AM
Another nice low mileage LT1 Roadmaster Wagon:

http://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/1673711221.html

$2650

70k miles

Wow! A couple years ago that would have brought $5K easy. I sold my '93 Caprice wagon with 121K for $3K 2 years ago...

Stingroo
04-06-10, 09:17 AM
I think that's just the seller... all the other wagons I've found are more in line with what you describe.

Except mine. Scored for $1950 with 102k on the clock :thumbsup:

hueterm
04-06-10, 10:58 AM
So what should a stock, mint, 50-ish or less thousand mile RM wagon run? $7500? More?

Stingroo
04-06-10, 11:07 AM
$7500 seems steep to me. I'd say like 6k here.

96Fleetwood
04-06-10, 11:24 AM
I have seen '96 Roadmaster Limited wagons with under 50K miles sell for $10-$13K on eBay.

hueterm
04-06-10, 11:32 AM
I'm indifferent to '94-96 -- just really would want the LT1. 50ish thousand miles is a target -- if the perfect one had 60K, I'd be fine w/that.

$7-8K would be one thing.....$10-13K, however, would have to be a no....not making someone rich off of one.

How much less for an L05, all other things being equal? The Custom Cruiser that started this thread off is looking pretty good now.........

Stingroo
04-06-10, 11:46 AM
OCC's are awesome too. :D

hueterm
04-06-10, 11:50 AM
Off topic from my last post, but I wonder if you could convert a RM/Caprice/CC to a Fleetwood wagon w/new fenders/hood, dash, wheel front seats, front clip, etc. Not that I ever would, but are they interchangeable enough? I know you'd never get the rear seats to match what would have been in a FW, or the tail fins, etc....

96Fleetwood
04-06-10, 12:17 PM
Fred is the 'go to' guy for B body wagons. I bought two of my wagons from him and had them shipped to Chicago. Very nice guy and he can find you any B body wagon you want (color, mileage, etc). He has great prices too! He is a member of the Impala SS forum and the wagon forums.

Here is an example of one of his wagons on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-woody-station-72k-mi-LT1-V8-3-seats-VGC-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ180489333732QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Cars_Trucks?hash=item2a0600abe4

Stingroo
04-06-10, 12:20 PM
Yes, you can. I've seen a RM with a Fleetwood front clip. It takes some fab work, but it can be done.

hueterm
04-06-10, 12:52 PM
Awesome, 96 -- I'll check him out. That burgundy one looks very nice.....

Stingroo
04-06-10, 01:00 PM
Is that DCM?

77CDV
04-06-10, 01:55 PM
Off topic from my last post, but I wonder if you could convert a RM/Caprice/CC to a Fleetwood wagon w/new fenders/hood, dash, wheel front seats, front clip, etc. Not that I ever would, but are they interchangeable enough? I know you'd never get the rear seats to match what would have been in a FW, or the tail fins, etc....

Given enough money and time, you can do anything.

96Fleetwood
04-06-10, 04:00 PM
Is that DCM?

That or Garnet... have to look at the SPID to be sure.

Too bad it has a rebuilt title..

hueterm
04-06-10, 04:09 PM
I saw that.....still might not be bad for $2-3K and drive it for 100K..... For me, the velour is the biggest thing. Is it that real grippy velour that gets your clothes all bunched up, or is it slicker where you can move a little? Hate the grippy...

96Fleetwood
04-06-10, 04:20 PM
I saw that.....still might not be bad for $2-3K and drive it for 100K..... For me, the velour is the biggest thing. Is it that real grippy velour that gets your clothes all bunched up, or is it slicker where you can move a little? Hate the grippy...

Hmmm, I am not sure.. only the '93 Caprice wagon of mine had the cloth. I can tell you one thing, cloth is the way to go since GM leather of this era SUCKS. The side bolster wears like crazy despite mileage... I had to condition the leather on my '96 Fleetwood bi-weekly to preserve it.

Stingroo
04-06-10, 04:22 PM
The fabric in the Caprice isn't too bad. You can move, but it's definitely different from regular cloth. I love it.

96Fleetwood, they have two red colors? I thought they were DCM only? That's what I want to paint mine. :)

hueterm
04-06-10, 04:23 PM
Really -- my '93 RM leather wore like iron. It was flawless when I got it at 69K and was still flawless at 110K and I didn't do a whole lot to it. Minimal cleaning and conditioning. The cloth on the one shown here does look perfect, though...

Stingroo
04-06-10, 04:29 PM
Pretty sure the RM's and Caprices both got vinyl, only the FWB's had real leather.

I could be wrong on that.

hueterm
04-06-10, 04:54 PM
RM sedans had leather.....never sat in a wagon...

96Fleetwood
04-06-10, 06:45 PM
The fabric in the Caprice isn't too bad. You can move, but it's definitely different from regular cloth. I love it.

96Fleetwood, they have two red colors? I thought they were DCM only? That's what I want to paint mine. :)

Yep, the Garnet was darker than DCM.

I had a Dark Cherry Metallic '95 RM wagon.. here it is next to my '96 Light Driftwood Metallic Limited wagon:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture314.jpg

Stingroo
04-06-10, 08:01 PM
Hmm.... darker you say? :devil:

Me likey.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-10, 08:08 PM
Really -- my '93 RM leather wore like iron. It was flawless when I got it at 69K and was still flawless at 110K and I didn't do a whole lot to it. Minimal cleaning and conditioning. The cloth on the one shown here does look perfect, though...

Yeah, the leather in Brian's '94 Brougham was real nice and soft, not as soft and supple as the nuance leather in a similar vintage FWD Cadillac, but much better than the stiff, hard leather in my '95 RML, but I don't think that was treated very well. But yeah, the B/D bodies leather was that Sierra Grain vinyl, which is what Cadillac has been using forever, and definitely not as soft, aromatic or supple as the Nuance leather introduced in the 1992 Seville and Eldorado.

Pretty sure the RM's and Caprices both got vinyl, only the FWB's had real leather.

I could be wrong on that.

Vinyl was only used on the backs of the seats and the 3rd row seat in wagons, otherwise it was leather.

RM sedans had leather.....never sat in a wagon...

I sat in a base '96 wagon at a client of mine, it had real nice leather, and the seats were deeper and more comfortable than the seats in my RML.

Stingroo
04-06-10, 08:58 PM
Ah that's it. I knew there was vinyl somewhere on all of them. Couldn't remember off the top of my head.

orconn
04-06-10, 11:23 PM
American cars only use leather on the seat facings that you actually sit on. The rest of the upholstery is vinyl or another synthetic leather. I have had many cars with so called real leather upholstery, American and European, and they all used sybthetic leather on the door panels, seat backs and dash pads and dashes. There is a good reason for this, real leather exposed to the hot sun light of many American climates dries out and cacks if not continually treated and even then would deteriorate rapidly. Even muy Jags only had Connolly leather seat services with the rest of what looked like leather actually being synthethic. One of the best synthetics is Benztex which Mercedes used extensively in their high end luxury cars when they had real leather seating surfaces. This isn't to say that "high quality" vinyl, which closely resembles real leather, wasn't used.

The only car I have ever owned that had real leather throughout its' interior, with exception of the headliner and the top of the dash, was my Lamborghini 350 GT. This car also had engine turned panels lining the engine compartment and embellishing the dash polished aluminun facia panels cover the door sills and surfaces on both the door jam and the door side and the top panel of the door where it was hidden under the fender when the door was closed. All characteristic of the finest Italian coachbuilding practice. As a point of interest Ferraris road cars were not bulit to this standard being rather unfinished and shoddy in comparison.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-10, 11:32 PM
It seemed as though all of the leather used in my S320 was actually leather, and not anything synthetic. The material used on the seat backs was way nicer and more natural feeling than anything I've experienced anywhere else. I do know that on the 600 models from that era, that you got leather on the dash top too.

hueterm
04-07-10, 09:29 AM
Same for 750iL...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-10, 07:42 PM
With the A8, you got low grade vinyl everywhere.

77CDV
04-07-10, 09:05 PM
Really? Considering the A8's price, I'm surprised, esp. since it was supposed to compete with the S and the 7.

Stingroo
04-07-10, 09:19 PM
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

WTF IS THIS SHIT. This is a thread about WAGONS.

http://www.thebsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/audi_rs6_avant.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-10, 09:38 PM
Really? Considering the A8's price, I'm surprised, esp. since it was supposed to compete with the S and the 7.

No I'm kidding. That was an incredibly dry Audi joke.

Stingroo
04-07-10, 09:41 PM
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/1681556197.html

OMG IT HAS SNOWFLAKES!

I think I know what I want to do for MY wagon now. :devil:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-10, 10:57 PM
That looks way better than expected!

Stingroo
04-07-10, 11:31 PM
It would look absolutely awesome with some Firehawk Indy 500 white letter tires. :)

greencadillacmatt
04-08-10, 01:08 AM
^And a Shaker Hood...

Stingroo
04-08-10, 04:47 AM
Too far Matt, too far. :P

77CDV
04-08-10, 02:10 PM
That looks way better than expected!

There's a ringing endorsement!

Stingroo
04-08-10, 02:14 PM
I don't know... paint... or snowflakes... gaaah which to do first?!%!#!#$ :(

hueterm
04-08-10, 03:13 PM
Just stop at the paint....you'll live.

96Fleetwood
04-08-10, 03:33 PM
How did they get those wheels to fit? I thought they were 5x4.5 bolt pattern for the F-bodies and El-Caminos.

Stingroo
04-08-10, 04:13 PM
Yeah but Mike, if I stop at paint, I still have black steel wheels. It'd be like putting on a tux with converse. Just not right.

hueterm
04-08-10, 04:42 PM
Just get those little Chevy Logo steel wheel center caps like cops have. I like those, actually...

Stingroo
04-08-10, 05:06 PM
Ironically, I have a set. But I need to get some threaded lugs for them to work.

I guess I could rock those in the interim.

hueterm
04-08-10, 09:17 PM
Threaded lugs are a whole lot cheaper than snowflakes...

Stingroo
04-08-10, 09:19 PM
Yeah, but a lot less cool. :P

I guess they can wait, lol.

hueterm
04-08-10, 09:45 PM
You'll like the paint SO MUCH more.

Stingroo
04-08-10, 09:47 PM
You raise a very good point. :thumbsup:

greencadillacmatt
04-09-10, 02:06 AM
What if when you paint the wagon, have them paint the steel wheels body color. Then put the chrome centers on with some chrome beauty rings? Just a thought. (Looks cool in my head, especially with the raised-white-letter tires you mentioned earlier.) :drool:

77CDV
04-09-10, 02:59 AM
Yeah but Mike, if I stop at paint, I still have black steel wheels. It'd be like putting on a tux with converse. Just not right.

What's wrong with a tux and converse? :confused:

Stingroo
04-09-10, 07:36 AM
A lot, Craig. A lot.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-09-10, 04:10 PM
I saw a nice red Custom Cruiser here in Denver, I'll post the pic when I get home.

hueterm
04-10-10, 06:36 PM
Hey Elias -- what about this one? Too much $$??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/buick-roadmaster-wagon-station-wagon-caprice_W0QQitemZ290423691471QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Cars_Trucks?hash=item439e99d8cf

96Fleetwood
04-10-10, 10:04 PM
Hey Elias -- what about this one? Too much $$??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/buick-roadmaster-wagon-station-wagon-caprice_W0QQitemZ290423691471QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Cars_Trucks?hash=item439e99d8cf

Hmmmm, a light driftwood metallic Limited Roadmaster wagon with heavy duty tow package... but no heated seats :helpless:

I think it is worth $7K if he can provide more pictures and if it comes with the window sticker, manuals, and remotes.

hueterm
04-10-10, 10:18 PM
Hmmmm, a light driftwood metallic Limited Roadmaster wagon with heavy duty tow package... but no heated seats :helpless:

I think it is worth $7K if he can provide more pictures and if it comes with the window sticker, manuals, and remotes.

Fred called the auction early on the burgundy one w/the salvage title. If I'd known he was going to do that, I would have bought it from him direct....

The-Dullahan
05-02-10, 01:46 AM
You know, I still never MEASURED my interior space.

I will today when I go to my grandmother's. But I can guarantee it's more than enough for a large dog crate. Heck, you could go all police-car and put a metal gate up and forgo the crate entirely. :)

Interior space for the win!

I saw this tiny little Triumph at the junkyard and looked at it for a bit then realized something that frightens me deeply. This "street-legal" vehicle could literally have been pulled into the back of my car like a garage.

Those LT1's are fun and I've seen a number of hearses sell JUST for the engines. Hearse with an Lt1...sounds fun until I realize that said Hearse would be an ugly later-generation model...Ewwww...

The-Dullahan
05-02-10, 01:48 AM
You're all forgetting the best kinds of wagons.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hearse-1969-3-way-make-offer-/230468720156?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35a901961c

And what jackoff made THIS thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Ford-LTD-Station-Wagon-Abbott-Hast-Hearse-RARE-/160430043522?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item255a603182#v4-35

Stingroo
05-02-10, 08:23 AM
Hasn't that first one been on eBay a LONG time now?

And the only problem I see with that second one is that it's a Ford. Eeeeew.

Aron9000
05-02-10, 10:23 PM
And what jackoff made THIS thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Ford-LTD-Station-Wagon-Abbott-Hast-Hearse-RARE-/160430043522?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item255a603182#v4-35

That Ford wagon hearse makes me think back to a saying I heard on Pawn Stars(if you watch that show)

"Just because you have something thats old and rare, it doesn't make it valuable"

Stingroo
05-02-10, 10:34 PM
I love Pawn Stars. :)

The-Dullahan
05-05-10, 01:11 AM
Hasn't that first one been on eBay a LONG time now?

And the only problem I see with that second one is that it's a Ford. Eeeeew.

Yeah, it's been on there forever...And what's wrong with Fords? Aside from the engines dying on you every other year, they're alright.

The-Dullahan
05-05-10, 01:16 AM
Never saw that 'Pawn Stars' show, don't watch television, but I have gotten phonecalls from family around the world about it. Some kid went on there trying to sell a medieval helmet he had (turned out to be reproduction, but not rubbish, it was still functional, which is rare by comparison to the shoddy "larp-grade" crap, because not everyone has the $25k for a suit of armour) and he was driving a Hearse.

This peaked their interest enough to call me. Kid with Hearse selling helmet.

You know, I almost moved to Las Vegas once (Or technically, just outside of it, as I decided not to live in a city). Good thing I didn't, because when you meet your doppelganger, you both shall die and if he wasn't that, I was supposed to be a twin and was told the twin "died" and if there's any truth to the "Evil Twin" theory, I may have died too, because I am DEFINITELY the Evil Twin we usually die in the Epic Confrontations.:(

77CDV
05-05-10, 01:55 AM
I really hope you're at the FL meet, Dullahan. You sound deeply interesting.

Stingroo
05-05-10, 08:46 AM
^ Likewise.

Plus, I mean... hearse + wagon leading convoy? Yes.

Craig, what are you going to be driving?

77CDV
05-05-10, 03:30 PM
A rental of some sort.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-05-10, 07:36 PM
Craig, you'll get an Aveo from Enterprise. It's the closest to a wagon that they offer. :lol:

77CDV
05-05-10, 08:12 PM
:lol: Aveo :lol:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-05-10, 08:17 PM
Or, you could go to the other end of the spectrum and rent an Econoline. :lol:

77CDV
05-05-10, 08:25 PM
And offer "free candy" no doubt..... :devil: