: GM Protection Plan Questions

Bee iLL
03-29-10, 09:18 AM
Seeing as my factory bumper to bumper is up next February and with the limited production along with high costs of services/parts, I have been looking at extending the warranty with the GM Protection Plan. I have never bought an extended warranty before, but am thinking it might be worth it for peace of mind since I love this car and I plan on keeping it for a while. Does anyone have any experience with the GMPP? Is it a true Bumper-to-Bumper warranty? What would happen if Cadillac/GM could not get a part for my car because of the limited production while under this warranty? Is the price negotiable? I would only drive it at most 7000 a year (currently driving less than 4000 a year) Thanks in advance for anyones input.

Looks like I could do 3 years 24000 miles $200 ded. for $860 or I can even go 7 years 54000 miles $200 ded. for $2565...

Florian
03-29-10, 09:52 AM
2500 LOLZ! The 6 yr/100K costs the dealer about 900 bux.....offer 1000 and he still makes 100 bux for the effort....pay any more and youre just being unwise.

F

Gusteve
03-29-10, 11:00 AM
I think most of us paid around $1k for the CPO 6yr / 100k mile bumper to bumper. Is CPO the same thing as GMPP?

[edit] - quick Google shows that GMPP is not the same as Caddy CPO warranty.....

Bee iLL
03-29-10, 12:54 PM
2500 LOLZ! The 6 yr/100K costs the dealer about 900 bux.....offer 1000 and he still makes 100 bux for the effort....pay any more and youre just being unwise.

F

Sorry, not sure I was clear on my plan options. The GMPP I was looking at for 7 additional years would bring me to 2018 if I bought it at the end of my factory warranty next Feb... Thats $357.15 a year.

Doesn't the CPO just extend the original factory warranty 2 years/50000 miles? So that would be $500 a year @ $1000. I'm not really worried about the mileage aspect, as I doubt I would come close to it. Thanks again for the input.

Gusteve
03-29-10, 03:35 PM
CPO extends the original factory warranty to 6 years, 100k miles from original in-service date.

You can buy a GMPP that would take you through 2018?????

I had planned on selling my 2008 when I had 6mths or 10k miles left on the CPO, since I frightened to own it without a warranty. I have over 3 years to go, but I was already not liking the idea of selling the car then, because its freakin' awesome.

So now I'd also like to hear of anyone's experience with GMPP.

Florian
03-29-10, 04:15 PM
Sorry, not sure I was clear on my plan options. The GMPP I was looking at for 7 additional years would bring me to 2018 if I bought it at the end of my factory warranty next Feb... Thats $357.15 a year.

Doesn't the CPO just extend the original factory warranty 2 years/50000 miles? So that would be $500 a year @ $1000. I'm not really worried about the mileage aspect, as I doubt I would come close to it. Thanks again for the input.

I think you better check the verbage....I know of no extended wty that is 7 years on top of the 5 you have from the factory. If thats the case, then go for it....but I suspect that the 7 years is 2 on top of the 5 factory (which is what most companies offer)

F

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-29-10, 09:31 PM
^^ +1

I looked into it for my 09 Escalade I just bought and GMPP only extends your factory warrenty, not added to. Im my case the factory was 5/50 bumper to bumper and 10/100 power train. To extend it would be meaninnless. I would only get 1/50 bumper to bumper added for a grand... I'll take my chances for that.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-29-10, 09:33 PM
on my STS-V I have GMPP 6/100 bumper to bumper and will be hitting both exactly at the same time. 2012 @ 100k ,,, I'll get every bit out of that agreement.

Bee iLL
03-30-10, 10:47 AM
I am going to call to verify what their website is telling me, but here is a screenshot. Maybe things have changed now that the Government has a stake in GM? I have highlighted the part that says the new warranty would expire in 3/3/2017. That time is if I purchase today. I wouldn't purchase it until beginning of next year, which is why I was saying 2018. If anyone is interested to look for themselves, the website is gmppdirect.com. If you go to the main GMPP.com website, they don't let you generate a quote. I had to use the web address off the mailer they sent me snail mail.

Before Clicking Buy Now: 57168

After Clicking Buy Now: 57170

For those of you also interested, I did come across a website that listed what was not covered by GMPP Major Guard, anything not listed is covered...

Bee iLL
03-30-10, 11:09 AM
OK, just got off the phone with GMPP. According to what the rep told me, GMPP needs to be purchased before the factory warranty expires, but that it does indeed add additional time, depending on the plan you purchase. Here are the examples the rep gave me:

If I had 1 year left on my factory warranty and purchased a 3 year GMPP at that time, I would have factory and GMPP coverage for the 1st year, and then only GMPP for the next 2 years.

If someone purchased a 6 year GMPP when they first purchased their new Cadillac, they would have 4 years of Factory and GMPP coverage, and then 2 additional years of GMPP coverage.

Not sure if the rep was suppose to agree with me, but she did when I said there was no point to having them overlap, as the factory warranty cover's everything and more than GMPP would. I also asked if there was a "cut off" time to when you could order GMPP before the factory warranty expires and the rep told me no. It only needs to be ordered before the factory warranty expires and that I could order it the day before my factory warranty expired, though she recommended at least a month in advance to make sure everything is in the system before that time.

I'm actually still up in the air if I will purchase this or not though, seeing that there are a list of things excluded....

Cataract
03-30-10, 11:36 AM
The list of exclusions isn't too shabby. All that really matters to me is the trans, engine, and blower; and those aren't listed a excluded. I plan on buying it in about a year, when my factory one is coming up.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-30-10, 12:01 PM
Re read your post Bee Ill. It's not added on top of your existing factory warrenty. a 6 year only extended your factory warrenty by 2 years. This is what F and I were saying. NOT a factory 4 year and an additional 6 year to make it a 10 year total.

Bee iLL
03-30-10, 12:30 PM
Re read your post Bee Ill. It's not added on top of your existing factory warrenty. a 6 year only extended your factory warrenty by 2 years. This is what F and I were saying. NOT a factory 4 year and an additional 6 year to make it a 10 year total.

I don't think you are understanding correctly. Look at the screenshots I posted from GMPP website. It clearly states that it would extend through 2017 if i bought it today. And I confirmed that is correct with the GMPP rep. It all depends on when you buy the GMPP, as the GMPP starts from that day on...You only need to be within the factory warranty period. I think you got scammed by your dealer, as you had GMPP coverage and Factory warranty coverage overlapping... If you would have waited to purchase the 6 year GMPP at the end of your factory warranty (but before it expires), you would have warranty coverage for 10 years.

CPO does only extend your warranty by 2 years, but that is a different program all together.

Bee iLL
03-30-10, 12:55 PM
If someone purchased a 6 year GMPP when they first purchased their new Cadillac, they would have 4 years of Factory and GMPP coverage, and then 2 additional years of GMPP coverage.

Dan, I think your confusion is stemming from this statement I made. Let me clarify a little...

Lets say someone purchased a 6 year GMPP after already having their new cadillac for 2 years.They would have had the 2 years of factory only, then 2 years of Factory and GMPP coverage, and then 4 years of only GMPP coverage.

I completely understand what you and F are saying about the CPO only extending the factory warranty 2 years, but everything I am reading about the GMPP and from what the GMPP rep told me, GMPP time begins from the date the GMPP Plan was purchased, not when the factory warranty started. It is active for the amount of time in the purchased plan, from the GMPP Purchase date.

nascarhead
03-30-10, 03:36 PM
i agree with Bee iLL. i just purchased my 07 sts v in feb this year and have been looking into a GMPP plan. the various people i have spoke to say the same thing. if i was to purchase my ESP today, it would overlap the factory warranty (mine end 11/10) and extend to the remaining coverage life. i was looking into a 5/40000 due to registering the vehicle as a 2nd car doing less than 7500 miles per year. i will tell you the caddy dealer was talking about $3150.00 and i believe GMPPdirect was $2650.00. i am waiting til it gets closer to sept or oct this year before i purchase...

Florian
03-30-10, 04:04 PM
Beeill...I see the difference....the CPO is 6/yr-100K miles....the GMPP IS 7 years on top of the std coverage, but low mileage (67K)...I guess it all boils down to whether or not you think its worth it to cover your car for an extr 17K miles for 2500 bux......I think I'd roll the dice and save the money.

F

Bee iLL
03-30-10, 11:03 PM
I guess im just worried since i only put on about 4000 miles a year that my "Warranty" issues wont surface till years after the factory warranty is up. I would love to throw on 40000 miles this next year but the Chicago weather doesnt usually agree with the V and I hate not being able to "maximize" my V driving experience. :lildevil:
:burn:

fast_lane10
03-30-10, 11:54 PM
Thanks Bee ILL i have been thinking about the same topic and this thread really helps,thank you all for the contributions, here are my 2 cents.
I have been thinking about going for a CPO or buying the car as it is and go for GMPP just before the warranty expires. Looking at cost to time/miles ratio, assuming coverage is same in both cases and dealer had to spend minimal amount to get the car to CPO standards, GMPP seems better option.
Assuming CPO costs around 1500 (most dealers have been quoting me around 2000) and From this thread it looks like 4 year 30000 GMPP will cost around 1200 or so,you get more years but less mile with GMPP. If some one drives less than 15000 miles a year you get more time with GMPP than CPO and only if you drive more than 15000 a year that CPO seems advantegous. No doubt CPO might cover more stuff but looking at the list it might be worth to go for GMPP
Btw Florian Bee Ill, from what i understand, gets 56000 miles not 17000 for 2500, it just happens that he has only 11000 miles which makes it 670000, if he had about 50000 miles he would be covered upto 106,000.

Bee iLL
03-31-10, 09:37 AM
Be careful... I wouldn't go by my numbers for yourself. I might only be getting them BECAUSE I have such low miles. They might quote you something completely different, depending on the amount of miles on your car...

I'm not sure they would offer me a 7 year, 56000 mile offer if I had 50000 miles on the car...

Cataract
03-31-10, 11:14 AM
You are also able to reduce the initial cost of the GMPP by selecting a package that has a deductible, from what my rep told me.

BMW's CPO program automatically has a $50 deductible, and I believe MB's CPO is $100.. just to help justify going a cheaper route with a deductible.

bobs-sts-v
03-31-10, 11:50 AM
Being one of the first to run out the warranty (mine expired in December), I chose the GMPP for 4 years and 50,000 miles for about 2500. I was told that Cadillac and GM does NOT offer CPO to original owners, only to trade-ins, so what other choice did I have? Since I only had 44K on it at the time, adding another 50k and 4 more years seemed about right for me. I could have gone as long as 6 years or 100K, which ever came first, but that would have cost over 3500. Both of these are based on the $50 deductible (I think - I was debating between the $50 and $100 versions). Bumper to bumper coverage.

Regardless, I feel comfortable keeping the car another 4 years and not having to worry about much of anything going wrong.

Bob

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-31-10, 01:07 PM
I have CPO 6/100. I wonder when I get close if I can add a GMPP for another 5/50 bumper to bumper. HMMM!!!

Bee iLL
03-31-10, 02:21 PM
For the deductible I was actually choosing 200 to get the lowest possible price. The choices I was given were 0, 100, or 200.

fast_lane10
03-31-10, 09:57 PM
Bob... Did you buy it from Cadillac dealer ?

bobs-sts-v
04-01-10, 01:10 PM
Yes, I got mine from the same dealer that sold me the car. I couldn't remember the choices for the deductible (still haven't had to deal with it), so I am pretty sure I went with the $100. It is all about peace of mind and your comfort level with your dealer. Some dealerships, many of you have expressed grave concerns about doing business with them, so having to actually PAY for that crappy service would be hard to swallow. I have had nothing but good experiences with my dealership, so even if I "over paid" a little for the GMPP, I am very comfortable with the outcome. They know me, I know them, and most importantly, they know my car. Find your comfort level and be happy with it. :cool2:

Bob

Cataract
04-01-10, 01:43 PM
Do you go to Cadillac of Naperville?

cadillac94pimpin
04-01-10, 04:57 PM
I bought mine for $2700 4yr/48,000 $100 deductible. They wouldnt offer a $0 decuctible. They did offer a $200 one tho. I bought it about 20 days before my factory warranty expired. I bought mine from Vaden warranty. (cheapest I could find that did no interest payments. They are either a chevy or cadillac dealer in Atlanta. (I live in Florida) I did the 10% down and intrest free payments for 18 months.
My car will be covered until it's paid off. The Most warranty I could of got when I bought it was 5/50,000 and it was almost $1,000 more.
It becomes active as soon as the payment and information is sent to GM for approval.

There are a lot of factors that determine price. One I found out is rates go up everey october as well as the actual year you buy the warranty versus when the factory expired. For example I got a quote for 2400 in oct 09. I eneded up ready to buy in Jan 2010. So the price did go up. Also keep in mind you can try to haggle with the sales people they dropped my cost down after I complained.

Mileage is also a factor there are brackets for pricing with that as well. I think its 24001 and then 36,001 something like that.
theres one site that sells it that will email you the actual prcing table.
Just search around for the best price.

One more thing, I think there is a max amount of time and mileage a car can be covered until per the cars inservice date.

Bee iLL
04-02-10, 11:01 AM
I am still curious if anyone would know what would happen if I did buy the GMPP and lets say 3 years into my 6 year GMPP plan, my blower needs to be replaced, yet GM didn't have enough foresight to stock any... Since they are no longer being made, would I be SOL?

cadillac94pimpin
04-02-10, 01:37 PM
I am still curious if anyone would know what would happen if I did buy the GMPP and lets say 3 years into my 6 year GMPP plan, my blower needs to be replaced, yet GM didn't have enough foresight to stock any... Since they are no longer being made, would I be SOL?

I think they would have to fix it. Its not under the exclusions portion of the contract. It may take 3 months to get your part in lmao.
I thought someone said GM is required to carry parts for 10 years after the car is no longer made?