: check engine light

kehock
03-29-10, 09:07 AM
the check engine light came on a week or so ago. checked the usual culprits (gas cap, waited for the next fill up) but the light stayed on. read a few threads that have been posted here a while back to see if there was anything else i could do before taking the car in for service. was also hearing an engine noise - rattle - for the past month but only during the initial start up (cold idle). i thought it might be something loose in the engine compartment but hadn't had the time to take off the covers to look at it. most of you have probably figured this out already; one of the catalytic covertors was breaking up inside. car's still under warranty (08, 18k miles); cost to fix would have been $2,600.

CIWS
03-29-10, 09:11 AM
I bought a code reader, but if someone doesn't have one there are several auto parts stores like Autozone that will read the code(s) for you and tell you what they are.

Failed Cats don't seem to be tooooo uncommon. Although I'm at 35K+ and still going. If you do have a bad Cat it will be interesting to see what the parts supply is like for them currently.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-29-10, 10:31 AM
my cats went around 40k

BTW its federal law that an auto maker produce parts for a car for no less than 10 years post the last production model. So we have until 2019 before we run completely out of parts. Now that doesn't mean GM will produce them in the future, they might sell the the dies to China to produce, but GM still has to distribute them. In later years like year 2015 they might have a contract to have the vendor produce only so many parts a quarter or year. This would mean we could still get them but would have to wait 3 to 6 months untill the re-supply shipment came in.

Gusteve
03-29-10, 12:08 PM
I asked this a few weeks ago and was told that if you have On_Star you can usually sweet-talk the on-star rep into reading the code and telling you what it was. I don't have active On_Star so i can't give you a first-hand account.

I ended taking mine into the dealer. They said the codes they were getting were just flaky, so they ordered a new ECU. (Having it installed this week).

chitownv
04-25-10, 01:13 AM
Check engine light popped up on my v with 46k on it was the left cat went on it under warranty thank god

It's all one piece built into the exhaust header

CIWS
04-25-10, 09:03 AM
^^ Yeah isn't that going to be fun in a few years.

torched10
04-25-10, 01:34 PM
what oil are you guys using--when SAE went to the SM code oil, they reduced the amoung of zinc phosphate,which was casuing premature cat failures.I have a an Old GTO which needs the znphos to protect the tappets during startup.Racing oils have a higher znphos,bcause they dont use cats,and lots of engines are still older blocks.I use valvoline VR1 for the GTO,but roush also makes the higher zn phos oil--the old code was SL

CIWS
04-26-10, 11:56 AM
Mobil 1 synth, what came with the car from the factory.

torched10
04-26-10, 06:55 PM
out of curiousity i looked into the history of the zn phos re duction.Turns out that the Feds made the manufactureres warranty the cats for 120,000 miles,independent of years of use--guess ill be fine

Red Snake
04-30-10, 02:34 PM
Check engine light popped up on my v with 46k on it was the left cat went on it under warranty thank god

It's all one piece built into the exhaust header

One of my cats just got replaced under warranty also (only 7,000 miles on car). :thepan:

:hmm:

cadillac94pimpin
05-08-10, 11:15 PM
One of my cats just got replaced under warranty also (only 7,000 miles on car). :thepan:

:hmm:

I think mine just went. Got PO44. Will this code put you into limp mode?

My transmission feels like its slipping now.

Is it true the emissons system is covered for that long?

Im about 3 months outised of my factory warranty and at 37,000 mi

I do have the GMPP but that cats are NOT covered under that.

Red Snake
05-09-10, 10:37 PM
Mine did not go into limp mode. Just got a CEL and used OnStar to check it first, then took it into the dealership.

cadillac94pimpin
05-10-10, 01:00 PM
Mine did not go into limp mode. Just got a CEL and used OnStar to check it first, then took it into the dealership.

Yeah I found out it was the trans that was actually slipping.

My warranty book says that the cats are covered for 8yrs/80,000 mi.