Cadillac Owners Forum banner
9K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Black Majick 
#1 ·
Gents,

Having recently outgrown the maggie (mp112) courtesy of a new 402 stroker I'm looking at viable options on a larger displacement supercharger. The maggie just won't suck any more..:hmm: Anyway...

Exchanged some info with Kenne Bell and Magnusson. Looks like options are essentially TVS2300, Whipple 3.3L or a Kenne Bell 2.8 or 3.6LC. Clearance in theory shouldn't be too much of an issue though most LS2 Corvette kits that we've been looking at are more front nose biased so hood may need to get redone to fit them in.

All will undoubtedly involve some custom work. The Kenne Bell with an 8rib pulley looks like the least amount of work on paper being nose driven though the intake is on the side. But time will tell...

Anyway, want to gather some opinions on this..

No really interested in Prochargers.

#2 ·
I have read that the Kenne Bell stuff has problems with getting EXTREMELY hot (IAT) compared to the other options you have posted. I have no first hand experience with any of them though, only blower i have ever had was a Paxton on my Camaro.

#5 ·
Too many people think turbos produce "free" power. Not true. They create backpressure and impede air flow, opposite from the way headers aid power production. Love 'em, but not "free."

Some aspects to weigh if changing superchargers would be reversibility and noise all else being equal. Just my $0.02.

#6 ·
Guys, this is not a discussion on turbos. Appreciate the feedback but I like my superchargers.

#8 · (Edited)
On my Cobra I've run a Whipple 2.3 in the past and currently have a 2.8H KB.

The Whipple was a great SC and ran like a top, strong and consistent on the street or track (I put 90,000 on the Whipple and it was running strong when I took it off). The 2.8H has not seen any hard duty yet since I'm in the midst of alot of changes, but I expect it to also run strong. At the track, my Whipple was always cooler to the touch than my friends running the KBs, but I think their IAT2 temps were right in line or even cooler than mine. I do like the 3.6LC (liquid cooled) KB SC. It could be the best of both worlds....large displacement (which you'll need for that big motor) and liquid cooling.

I think both companies make great twin-screws, you'll just need to research some of the various features to determine which one will be the best match for your combo. Good luck, sounds like you'll have a monster when done.

My $0.02.

#9 ·
My brother is debating on the same issues: KB or Whipple for his terminator Cobra. SVT forum might be a better place to ask...they have a ton of them over there.

#10 ·
I have no idea at all, but I'm going to track this thread so I can follow your footsteps in a year or so. Good luck! As long as it's a newer gen screw I think you'll be ok.... you know the 4 lobe TVS design. Find whatever one will fit the best and do that.

LS2 stroker FTW!

#11 ·
I know Whipple makes some SCs that are rotated 180 degrees so the TB is in the front of the engine. I'm not sure about the other brands, but I think having a TB by the firewall could make fitment somewhat of an issue, not to mention there is less air restriction with less bends and keeping the TB toward the front of the car will keep it cooler.

#12 ·
Which of the three has the biggest boost potential, and which one provides the best DD/street manners? Will all fit under your hood? The days of achieving 20 lbs of boost with only a ProCharger or TT kit are over, these blowers have stepped it up:thumbsup:!

#13 ·
So after a whole lot of reading there doesn't seem to be much between a Whipple and KB power wise. Noteworthy differences are that KB customer service is a no no but KB screams a little louder.... Guess it's time to make some calls. This will be fun

#14 ·
Check the Corvette and Mustang forums for write-ups, hopefully a good review can sway you, or at least answer most questions.

#15 ·

Enough said.

#17 ·
why ? thats a simple answer..
because as a Business... no one is profitable fn around with a procharger when you can slap a TVS in a day, tune it the next and the customer thinks he has the fastest thing going. Its all about time and results, with minimal to no problems after.
It should NOT however be used as a gauge to determine whats the BEST...

#20 ·
Build a forged bottom end and you could have a lot more! I make that with a 112.

#22 ·
I almost make that with at stock bottom end and stock pulley size, no headers etc. You should convert to E85 and you'll probably see 70+ RWHP on top of that!

#23 ·
That 3.3 is a monster and will be once you plumb it and crank the boost up. I'm not really familure with twin screws but I would imagine that this car could be right behind the two procharged cars and the twin turboed car with the right supporting mods. Keep us posted when you start cranking it up!!!

#25 ·
That's exactly why I chose this route, this blower is supposed to support up to 1000 hp and I want the ability to up the power as my driveline allows without having to invest in another expensive head unit. This kit comes with the largest pulley made (other than custom) just to make it useable for cars with stock engines, so the way I see it is the only direction to go from here is up. I certainly will update as I travel further into mod hell, thanks!

#26 ·
Just saw the post on the whipple. Looks and sounds exactly like what I'm after. With a forged bottom end I should be able to easily go high on the boost.

What are the specs on the whipple i.e. high much can you spin it before it becomes a heater? From what little research I've done I haven't seen one above 12 psi.

#27 ·
Since it moves 3.3l of air per revolution, it can move a lot of air before it becomes inefficient. This blower will
make a lot more than 12 lbs but boost isn't really what the blower is making, it's what the engine isn't using. So depending on what ci your engine is and how well the intake and exhaust flow, your boost can change a lot. You'll see more boost on a smaller engine but the 3.3 will provide more than enough air for even the larger ci engines.

#31 ·
The intercooler is in the blower, just not plumbed.

#34 ·
A friend had a 10.88 second Terminator was running a Whipple and that car was a BEAST

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.