: do drivers get stupider by the week?

mhamilton
03-28-10, 07:08 PM
I swear, the number of morons on the road seems to be increasing exponentially. That, or these people just seem to seek me out whenever I'm driving.

Every Sunday morning I have to make the same drive, and take a small stretch of 501... this is a 4 lane state highway, speed limit 55 mph, separated by a grass median, traffic lights every 3 miles (and always red). Every time I'm on this road, I see a group of 4-5 cars that fight each other from light to light to have the lead. Today was no exception...

I was on the road by myself, came to a red light, in the left lane. Up from behind me comes a group of the aforementioned numskulls. Light turns green, the Honda in the right lane nails it, zips away. I drive for economy (no, I don't race the rices from light to light), don't even tap 2k rpm on accelerations. So next I hear this god-awful noise disturbing my serenity. Next to me is this old POS Ford heavy duty, with the Redneck vertical exhaust stack, pulling an (empty) 20' trailer. He's next to me reving the hell out of his noisemaker, apparently trying to keep up with my Grandma acceleration. I'm like WTF?

Anyway, I get to 3rd gear and the torque picks up, I pull away from him and get to 60 mph, which is as fast as I will go on this road. By now some other cars are in front and next to me. This dumbass is actually trying to weave around traffic with a frickin 20' trailer! I mean, where the hell are the state troopers when you actually want one? Honestly, I should have called the cops on this guy, but at the time I was just happier he was away from me.

I just can't stand it anymore. I don't even want to take my cars out on the roads anymore, because I just know some ass is going to wreck my car with their stupidity. I already had that happen with my Chevelle when a guy came through a stop sign.

Sorry for the rant, it's just been one of those weeks... where is all my good karma?

V-Eight
03-28-10, 07:30 PM
Stacks are awesome, too bad Ford sucks. But yeah, I know what you mean, there are some really dangerous dumbasses out there. I've also got an unrelated question, how is the ESC different from the ETC? I've never heard of it before.

mhamilton
03-28-10, 08:41 PM
These truck drivers around here come in 2 types... either they pull out in front of you and go 10 mph, or they think they're the fastest vehicles on the road and will ride your bumper. You don't know what effort it takes for me not to just walk them like a dog past 100 mph ;-)
Really, I should just sit there with my hand out the window and flip everyone off :-P

Eldorado Sport Coupe was just a re-name for the base model Eldo. I think it was in 2000, Cad changed to ESC and ETC designations. 3.11 final gear, 275 hp Northstar, no road sensing suspension. It's just about perfect for me, because I mostly do interstate driving, and I'm not worried about replacing active struts.

77CDV
03-29-10, 12:57 AM
In answer to the title of this thread: yes.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-10, 01:19 AM
Think of your 275hp Northstar V8 as an insurance policy against all the morons of the world. You've got the power to avoid collisions. I'm the same way with my 240hp Supercharged 3.8.

ewill3rd
03-29-10, 07:36 AM
I only have to drive about 4.7 miles to work every day, and it is like walking through a minefield.
I see the most phenomenal examples of bad driving on every single trip.
The big one around here is use the wrong lane of traffic to get to the front and then cut in to make sure everyone who actually waited their turn in line has to wait longer.
Next would be the left turn from the rightmost lane and vice versa, these people usually work in pairs and do this at every intersection.
Then you have the random left or right turn from the go straight lane.
Oh and also there is a traffic circle that is 2 lanes that I go through, it's always fun to watch the guy in the left lane of the circle make a right turn across an active lane of traffic that CAN go around the circle without even looking. This compounded by a total lack of understanding for what a Yield sign is for on the same circle.
I want to get a lawn chair and sit and watch all the accidents at this intersection.

I could go on, but I think you guys get my point.
I'd say probably 10% of the people in this area actually know what the rules are and can effectively execute safe and proper driving. The other 90% honestly need to have their licenses revoked.

Stingroo
03-29-10, 09:35 AM
Hmm... that sounds like Jacksonville!

There are so many weird quirky roads, service roads, exits, ramps, circles, and everything else you can think of... and a lot of these people TERRIFY me.

If you see the middle finger coming from the side of the red wagon with the super dark tint... wave, cause it's probably me. :D

orconn
03-29-10, 12:46 PM
Where have you been? This type of self centered, assinine driving has been around for a long time. I know that in Northern Virginia it was the norm thirteen years ago and is till SOP on the roads and byways there. I assume drivers in North Carolina pretty much mirror those here in Virginia, either "I'm young and need to show my stupity to prove it" or "I'm old and my Crown Vic is only running on four cylinders .... but it is my right to use the middle lane and by God I am going to use it!"

billc83
03-29-10, 01:01 PM
I narrowly avoided rear ending someone the other day because of his stupidity. On the road in question, the speed limit is 45. There is an intersection with a traffic light, and the light is green. A car stopped at the intersection decided he was going to take his free right turn with me approaching at high speed, and cuts right infront of me. Not a problem; I apply the brakes to compensate for his stupidity.

He decides to come to a full stop to make a left hand turn into the minimart on the corner. I didn't think my brakes could stop me in time, but thankfully they did. Honked my horn as angrily as I could and carried on.

The whole incident was probably the dumbest thing I've enountered while driving lately. The idiocy is compounded when you realize the driver just could have waited for the light, gone straight, and turned right into the market. It was so dumb I'm wondering now if it hadn't been intentional (more likely it was just inexperience).

orconn
03-29-10, 01:11 PM
"Intentional" don't discount the power of insurance payments in hard times! Back in the 1980's four friends of mine were involved in staged accidents within one week! I was too, fortunately the my insurance company and the police were onto the ring that was responsible.

Stingroo
03-29-10, 03:21 PM
Had a good example of idiocy today.

I went to pick up my mom from my great-grandmother's house today, because she wanted to see the campus. I'm on my way home on a road where the speed limit is 55mph. This imbecile in a Toyota Camry puts his signal on, so I slow down. He then proceeds to stay for about... 1500 feet or so going about 30mph, halfway in the turning lane, and halfway in my driving lane. I proceeded to put my window down, give them the largest finger I possibly could, and took off around them.

Then at the next light, with my windows still down, this other moron starts screaming at ME for driving too slow.

Urgh. I hate people.

orconn
03-29-10, 04:05 PM
Roo, sounds like you are a winner in today's Stupid Driver Contest!

Stingroo
03-29-10, 04:13 PM
I think so. There wasn't even anyone coming in the southbound lanes, so there was NO REASON for him to ride between the two lanes at all.

mhamilton
03-29-10, 10:46 PM
Where have you been? This type of self centered, assinine driving has been around for a long time. I know that in Northern Virginia it was the norm thirteen years ago and is till SOP on the roads and byways there. I assume drivers in North Carolina pretty much mirror those here in Virginia, either "I'm young and need to show my stupity to prove it" or "I'm old and my Crown Vic is only running on four cylinders .... but it is my right to use the middle lane and by God I am going to use it!"

Haha, it's probably even more surprising because I'm originally from north Jersey, the genesis of a_hole drivers. That's where my Chevelle got wrecked (and I was there just for a weekend visit). But when I go up there I expect it. Down here, it used to be that drivers weren't half bad. But lately, I don't know...

The idiocy is compounded when you realize the driver just could have waited for the light, gone straight, and turned right into the market. It was so dumb I'm wondering now if it hadn't been intentional (more likely it was just inexperience).

OMG, don't even get me started on people pulling out in front of traffic. I thought for the longest time it was just me. They see a Caddy coming, figure it's Grandpa going 10 mph, not 65. So they pull out and try to get up to speed. Even though I'm the only person on the damn road, god forbid they wait 5 seconds for a car to go by and have a completely empty road. I've actually been noticing lately how people will pull out in front of anybody, so at least it's not just me.

blue07cts
03-29-10, 10:53 PM
yeah my first day at my new job in jacksonville was today,I had an idiot in a silverado gun it too soon coming onto i-10 and slide sideways in front of me before i even got into jax, I'm not gonna go into the dumbass driving i saw once i arrived!

ben.gators
03-29-10, 11:21 PM
I narrowly avoided rear ending someone the other day because of his stupidity. On the road in question, the speed limit is 45. There is an intersection with a traffic light, and the light is green. A car stopped at the intersection decided he was going to take his free right turn with me approaching at high speed, and cuts right infront of me. Not a problem; I apply the brakes to compensate for his stupidity.

He decides to come to a full stop to make a left hand turn into the minimart on the corner. I didn't think my brakes could stop me in time, but thankfully they did. Honked my horn as angrily as I could and carried on.

The whole incident was probably the dumbest thing I've enountered while driving lately. The idiocy is compounded when you realize the driver just could have waited for the light, gone straight, and turned right into the market. It was so dumb I'm wondering now if it hadn't been intentional (more likely it was just inexperience).

It was a he or she? I have seen couple of times that when a female driver gets confused by directions or the address, she pushes the brakes suddenly till full stop in the middle of street, or sometime driving by 20MPH in speed lane looking around for addresses! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
And the funny part is after a horn, she realizes she is doing a wrong thing and then suddenly accelerates till 80MPH, to compensate...

ewill3rd
03-29-10, 11:28 PM
orconn, until about 6 years ago I was driving in San Francisco traffic.
It's awful there too, but different.
Out there they do things a bit strange, they drive 80 mph wherever they go, or 10 mph, nothing in between.
Red lights are meaningless and the one thing I can say they do quite well is merge. There is no messing around on a merge.
Before that I was in MO, now you want to talk about problems... oh boy.

Stingroo
03-29-10, 11:29 PM
Do tell. I've put about 300 miles on my wagon since I've come to town. I can tell you, these people are ****tards.

orconn
03-30-10, 12:42 AM
I can't say much about the drivers in the San Francisco area, Bill, I never really drove up there only rode in the back seat. But until I moved to Great Falls, VA thirteen years ago I drove the streets and freeways of L.A. My friends and former neighbors tell me it is much worse now than when I left. During the thirty years that I drove in Southern Cakifornia it seem to get far less "civil" and more self-centered and scoff law starting in the 1980's. Ofcourse we always had the tourist mystified by the freeways and trying to find their way, then we had a great influx of young Mid-Atlantic Americans (a prime source of rude and reckless driving in D.C. and NOVA) looking for a break in the "industry" and thinking the world revolved around them and nobody else mattered. By the 1980's the torrential immigration, legal and illegal, really began to be felt on the roadways as rising economic status allow more to drive (with or without a lience or insurance) and the newly arrrived from Asia took up driving for the first time .... in their forties! The sight of new "S" classs Mercedes sitting in front of $1000.00 a month apartments became commonplace.

So, I say, poor driving attitudes and skills are nothing new, they deteriorated with the general decline of civility that we have experience in the last thirty years. In Richmond one sees some really dumb driving, but it is more the result of either incompetence or the ignorance of youth that makes it vexing. Here the self centered lack of civility that one sees in L.A. and Northern VA and D.C. is much less of a factor

I think this is a spreading problem which I am afraid will engulf all our driving environments as we see civility become a total stranger in our land.

billc83
03-30-10, 01:11 AM
It was a he or she?

Wait, they let women drive now?

Stingroo
03-30-10, 01:27 AM
If it was a woman, this must make me wonder what she was doing away from the kitchen.

ewill3rd
03-30-10, 09:30 AM
Having driven through and in most states I can tell you there are behaviors that seem to be more prevelant in some areas than in others.
I don't know if I ever drove in LA, but I have been down there. We usually rode with friends while we did our sight seeing. I did drive one time but I don't remember it being much different than the SF area. When you take too many people and smash them into too small of a space they get crazy. The more we rack and stack people and let them keep cars, the worse it will get.
Seriously I think this will prove to increase restrictions on being able to obtain a license. Something most Metro areas should look into. You should have to earn the right to operate a motor vehicle, and in areas like NoVa it should be even harder to get a license. Sadly I know a lot of people that have a license just because they know someone that works at DMV.

It is blatantly obvious, at least in this area, that people just don't know the rules of the road. No one understand signs, signals, or the concept of "Right of way". If they do then they blatantly ignore them.
There are lots of places in this country where it is nice to go for a drive, this area is not one of them.
I'd go on about where this needs to start but I might get in trouble.
Let us just say that if I moved to any other country in the world, I would be required to learn THEIR language to function in THEIR society and end it at that.

orconn
03-30-10, 01:21 PM
Actually, Bill, many countries, at least, used to require proficiency in their language before being elgible for a driver's lisence. When my family moved to Brazil in 1955 both my parents had to take a test in Portuguese to get their lisence. My father was a senior executive with RCA (for the youngin's a major American corporation at the time) and he had to wait until his Portuguese was good enough to take the test, until then then we had a chaufeur or took taxis.

In Japan, up until the 1980's at least, it took an in intensive course in driving at a cost of $10,000. to get a driver's lisence. I beleive this was true throughout Asia. This is why many newly arrived immigrants to the U.S. have never driven before, particularly women. If we applied the same standards to U.S. citizens there would be a lot less cars on the road. Our reqirements to get a driver's lisence are ludicrous considering we are turning someone loose with a deadly weapon. However, mobility is a right in this country and that is not likely to change.

Just mention public transportation in this country and the pitchforks come out from under the beds and we have people marching in the streets.

Stingroo
03-30-10, 02:13 PM
Not to make a mockery of your statement, because it's pretty spot on, but I'd rather drive an Aveo for the rest of my life than to have to ride a bus or train.

hueterm
03-31-10, 01:37 PM
I'd have to think long and hard about that Aveo thing, at least if I lived in a place where you "could" get by w/o a car, and in fact, having one was often a PITA...

77CDV
03-31-10, 07:32 PM
Not to make a mockery of your statement, because it's pretty spot on, but I'd rather drive an Aveo for the rest of my life than to have to ride a bus or train.

^That. I think I've used public surface transit about twice since I got my own car 20 years ago. Each time, I remember vividly why I'll hold on to my licence as long as I possibly can. I even prefer driving to flying when I can get away with it. I just despise being tied to someone else's schedule.

orconn
03-31-10, 08:16 PM
^^^ that should supply a huge incentive to strive for a much higher income so you can afford a piece of your own private jet or even your own plane all to yourself!

There are certain disincentives that will get me out of my own car and onto public transportation. Like the fuel crisis and shortages of the early '70s and 1980 when the wait in line, sometimes two hours or more, to get get ten gallons was a huge incentive to use the bus to get to work and thus conserve gas for more fun drives on weekends. I was very thankful to be living near munical bus lines at the time. Riding-in in the morning wasn't too bad, .... just us cooks and stockbrokers on the bus that early. Coming home was a different; by 3:30 in the afternoon L.A.'s famous "crazies" were up and out and riding the buses for our home trip. That and the teen morons with their boomboxes glued to their ears and turned to high volume (LA outlawed this practice and the advent of earphones eliminated it in later years) were a very real reason to discontinue public bus use when gas supplies return to normal. However, personally I'd rather take Amtrac to NYC from Richmond than drive or fly. Interstate 95 is a horrendous zoo from Fredricksburg, VA to Boston. The plane takes too long with all the advance check-in time and then the ride back into and out from the City to the airport. But few places offer this attractive option.

ewill3rd
03-31-10, 10:54 PM
orconn you are forcing me to expose my secret nerdness.
One of my favorite clips of all time was when Spock and Kirk were on the bus on the Golden Gate bridge (Star Trek IV) and that dude was rocking out to the punk music and Spock gave him the old nerve pinch to the neck to stop the music and got applause from everyone on the bus... :lol:

Sorry... senior moment. ;)

minnesotamom
03-31-10, 11:03 PM
Hi all.
I just got back from a trip to Florida and will never complain about Minnesota drivers again..well, at least for a while. A very short while. Nonetheless. We snapped this picture of a woman driving behind us on the highway just north of Orlando.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2699/4383942864_c2a45bccec_o.jpg

Stingroo
03-31-10, 11:21 PM
That's very Floridian.

V-Eight
03-31-10, 11:36 PM
Wow, what a dumb bitch.

EChas3
03-31-10, 11:41 PM
Wisconsin is known for drivers below the limit in the passing lanes.

Indiana for miles long backups caused by drivers that can't merge for remporary lane closures.

minnesotamom
03-31-10, 11:53 PM
Generally speaking people in MN don't quite get the whole concept of merging either..or maybe it's just "Minnesota Nice". Signs posted with "left lane ends 5 miles ahead, merge right"..and then you'll have 300 cars sitting in the right lane with the left lane free and clear for the next 5 miles..but then if you do what you're supposed to and keep driving until just before the lane ends..people get mad at you and won't let you merge in.

ben.gators
04-01-10, 12:00 AM
Hi all.
I just got back from a trip to Florida and will never complain about Minnesota drivers again..well, at least for a while. A very short while. Nonetheless. We snapped this picture of a woman driving behind us on the highway just north of Orlando.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2699/4383942864_c2a45bccec_o.jpg

ha ha ha, after reducing 60% of front eyesight by
1-hanging stupid stuff from mirror
2-putting that GPS exactly in the middle of windshield
3-opening that sun visor
4-those wipers that stuck 5 inches up from the point that they should be
what is she looking at inside the car? GPS map, or maybe radio:histeric:

orconn
04-01-10, 01:12 AM
ha ha ha, after reducing 60% of front eyesight by
1-hanging stupid stuff from mirror
2-putting that GPS exactly in the middle of windshield
3-opening that sun visor
4-those wipers that stuck 5 inches up from the point that they should be
what is she looking at inside the car? GPS map, or maybe radio:histeric:

Don't criticize the young lady for using her "makeup mirror" on the back of her sunshade it's for putting on makeup while driving your car, stupid! And she can get it all on straight while findng out where she wants to go on her GPS. Every one knows girls are superior mutitaskers, just ask them!

ben.gators
04-01-10, 04:30 AM
Don't criticize the young lady for using her "makeup mirror" on the back of her sunshade it's for putting on makeup while driving your car, stupid! And she can get it all on straight while findng out where she wants to go on her GPS. Every one knows girls are superior mutitaskers, just ask them!

Yeah, they are multitask creatures, they can wreck a car, and simultaneously brush the hairs: :D
http://i40.tinypic.com/wrmjdh.jpg

minnesotamom
04-01-10, 08:33 AM
Doesn't hurt to be prepared..what if one of the responding cops is really HOT?

Yeah, they are multitask creatures, they can wreck a car, and simultaneously brush the hairs: :D
http://i40.tinypic.com/wrmjdh.jpg

Jesda
04-01-10, 09:31 AM
Doesn't hurt to be prepared..what if one of the responding cops is really HOT?

Indeed, or what if Jesda shows up with free candy

orconn
04-01-10, 05:00 PM
As I said, women are well known and sometimes skilled multi-taskers. Thankyou, Ben.gator, the picture pretty says it all. And thank you Minnesotamom for your prescient insight into the feminine mystique. And once again Jesda reveals his preditory nature, although he failed iterate his fetish for white pants and blond pony tails.

Stingroo
04-01-10, 05:07 PM
Now now... everybody knows Jesda would just show up to inspect the fish. Nothing more.