: DRL's switched.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-28-10, 12:10 PM
First I must rant about my dealer for a second.

Took my V in for a DRL replacement under warrenty. I asked my tech to put in the LED DRL's for me since they would already be in there. I would pay 1 hour for the labor on the side that wasn't out. They said no problem. got the car back and they told me they couldn't install them due to their policy of it being an after market part (even if I paid them to do it). I bitched a little and left.

WELL, I under stand why now. While doing it myself I found their tech broke the very headlight housing they replaced the DRL in. They broke the prongs on the housing that holds the bulb into the housing. They used some kind of foam, black, rubbery, sticky tape to hold the bulb into the housing.:nono:

Problem is they knew I was going to switch the bulbs out my self so they said nothing. Knowing if I did find the broke housing they could blame it on me when I was trying to switch them out. I'm still going to try to get them to replace it but it's a shot in the dark at this point.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-28-10, 12:23 PM
Back to the replacement.

It's not for the faint at heart. You have to take off both front tires, both front fender well liners, bottom engine liner, and bumper (uper engine bay covers as well if you still have them on the car). Both headlights have to come out. 99% is held together with push clips.

Once headlight is out you have to take the ballast cover off (this is where you need samll hands), and reach into the headlight housing and twist lock off the DRL. Replace bulb and test to make usre you got the right polarity before you put everything back together.....

Florian
03-28-10, 01:28 PM
sheesh.....

F

CIWS
03-28-10, 05:33 PM
You didn't happen to come to my dealership did you Dan ? ;)

Cataract
03-29-10, 11:05 AM
Shoot! Thats discouraging.. I've got my LED bulbs sitting on my desk right now, waiting to be put in.

How do they end up looking? Worth it?

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-29-10, 11:37 AM
It's a close call. It got rid of the yellow look. If you are handy around a car, it's not hard, just time consuming. I like the look and was in there trying to install HID fog lights so going a little further to do the DRL's wasn't a big issue for me. Plus I was already dirty from replacing the rear shocks.

There are 2 10mm screws on each side behind the wheel well liner holding the bumper cover on. Other than that it's all push clips.

MacMuse
03-30-10, 12:30 AM
It's a close call. It got rid of the yellow look. ...

and also that whole 'street-legal' look.

http://law.onecle.com/georgia/40/40-8-22.html

maximum of 2 headlights per side.

I hate the yellow DRL too. But thankfully the rainsense system is so good on mine that my wipers are on 99% of time (but never wiping in dry weather) which turns off the yellows and keeps a regular headlight on instead.

550HP STSV
09-04-10, 04:55 PM
what is the correct bulb number for the DRL/turn signal? Sylvania bulb guide says 3157... but when I got my chrome bulbs, I remembered that i ordered 3157 and the tabs were different... is it a 3357 or something? Can anyone verify the truth?

jedhead
09-05-10, 03:54 AM
I turn on the fog lights during the day and the yellow drls turn off. When it gets dark the headlights turn on the fogs remain on.

Bob

Redxped1
09-05-10, 12:41 PM
I think he is talking about the light in the bottom corner of the head light

chrisngo
09-08-10, 11:15 PM
One thing to note about switching to LED's is the fact that your signals will blink faster. This is because the resistance of the LED bulb is different from the stock bulb. I am currently dealing with this right now and I'm just to lazy to install a resistor onto the LED bulbs.

Chris

550HP STSV
09-09-10, 12:33 PM
Per dealership, 3157KX.